super 7 redrilling

hey all. first post here! i have the opportunity to buy some super 7s, that were "misdrilled"... the seller cant say much other than them possibly being drilled off center. it is a ski shop. i cant see the ski's first hand, just pictures. i want to know what the risks are in buying them? its a really good deal for an otherwise brand new pair of skiis.

also, i was wondering how big of a difference there was between the older model super 7s and the newer? aka the current orange ski, vs the older black/red, and the even older green/white? is it worth the $200+ to get the new orange ones? i certainly dont care about looks. just using it for reference.

thanks!!!

ohh, and at 6'3" 230lbs 35 year old, kind of not as expert as he used to be... between the 180s and the 188s.... im thinking the 188s are ideal, but would 180s work for me too?

thanks again!! -digg

super 7 redrilling

Main risk is having to adjust your ideal mounting point for the re-drill. If you know what binders you will mount and your bsl you can ask the shop where the mount would have to fall to not interfere with misdrilled holes. Guessing they will have a jig for your binders and confirm if you could land on midsole line or have to go forward or back. Could be no problem at all or a bad idea to buy. Suggest figuring this all out prior to purchase. Location of the existing holes the potential problem not their existence. Know nothing about S7 variants but you're big. Go 188s and regain your prior glory. Good luck.
    Uno mas

The older S7 skis ran small for the listed length. The 188 black/ red ones I had were more like 185s.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

ok thanks. im not sure how id even go about doing this cause here in PA there arent any ski shops open in the off season. i havent picked out a binding for them yet. not real set on any particular brand. as you said, im worried about the location of the holes being too close to where i would need my bindings to be. wasnt sure if i would be able to say 100% that if i was flexible on binding manuf, i could find a different mounting pattern that wouldnt interfere. aka the existing bolt pattern is for a salomon, i could get a rossignol binding that wouldnt interfere no matter what boot size they were drilled for? idk. pretty clueless in this area.

180 will be WAY too short....im same height and a bit lighter and just felt i could overpower even the 188 if i pushed them a bit too hard. of course though being on TGR im baller I know plenty of people who like that ski and maybe it was the mount who know id didnt really give it much thought. Too many skis to choose from.

Like mentioned...find on what binder is was that was mismounted. ask for close ups of the holes maybe and see maybe what line they orig mounted on so you know if you will have to go forward or back to avoid hole conflict.

good luck.

Look around. Deals are crazy cheap right now for new skis. Check Sierra trading post and backcountry. Super 7 in 188 is really a 185. Newer orange with AirTip is not a charger. Buy a 186 billy goat from ON3P. $450 right now. Way better ski. Old super 7 was heavier for sure.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)