Tall + skinny guy knee pad problem

I am dealing with an interesting dilemma here. There are a whole bunch of threads out there on various mtb sites asking "what pad for me, the skinny guy?" Most of these seem to be written by people who are not just skinny, but small in general. I am having a lot of trouble finding something that works for those who are tall but have chicken-legs.

I currently have something like an older (and cheaper, and presumably less well made) version of this:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/g-...M000B-ICOYL-XS

It's worse than useless - it slipped down below my knee on a super low-speed fall last weekend, earning me a nicely swollen kneecap.

The problem is that I am 6'4 with a 35" inseam. So the lower opening on standard pads, which is meant for an ankle, ends up needing to be pulled all the way up to the biggest part of my calf in order for the knee piece to end up in the right place over my kneecap. The width of my calf then prevents it from going farther, to where the upper opening would be far enough up my thigh to get tight around my quads.

My first thought is that knee only is going to work better for me than knee + shin, because I won't have to deal with trying to pull the ankle-sized hole all the way up my calf. That said, when I look at something like the RaceFace offering, it seems to be too short to reach my quads, and too wide to engage below it.

These seem to be a something that could work, but I'm wondering if they are burly enough (I am starting to come around to the idea that I may want a hard shell somewhere in there).

http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guid...il-Skins,14740

Any other tall guys with chicken legs out there who have solved this problem?
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...

This

Otherwise,

If you're looking for a light trail kneepad, everything is going to slide down in a hard crash no matter who you are. They all suck.

I did have some knee issues a few years ago and my legs got kinda small and had issues with pads kinda falling down. I used hockey shinpad tape to help tighten up the fit a bit. These should last you a while and are a cheap fix, but if you're using it for trail riding and not DH, it'll be a little annoying bc it doesn't flex as much as the elastic straps

http://www.amazon.com/Jaybird-Mais-C...TB3WNNCYGK30M2
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Oh a funny guy eh? I remember I got into the Crossfit thing and added 100 lbs to my back squat. This increased my thigh circumference by approximately zero inches. Unfortunately I and just permanently condemned to skinnitude.

I think the big problem is that the shin/knee combos can't be pulled high enough without getting stopped by my calf. I am thinking that the move is to just find a burly but breathable knee-only setup and that may help.

I've got a 34" inseam and had the same problem. I had some race face or roach shin/knee pads that were useless for knee protection. I had a crash that crippled me for 6 weeks because the knee protection was way too low and I smashed my knee on a rock. I took my useless pads and cut the knee pad part off and wear a dedicated knee pad on my knees with the remaining shin pad part of my old pads on my shins. The shin pad sits down on the top of my shoe and the knee pad is held up by the shin pad. Not a perfect solution but I now have knee protection.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

learn to sew...

ive been tucking fabric, dropping hems, and adding velcro and elastic since middle school home ec, almost all my gear is tailored in some way shape or form

for knee pads im currently using poc vpd 1.0 in a medium with velcro added top and bottom, they have slid a little during a crash, but not enough to increase bodily damage and they are best ive found so far that i can still pedal around a bit in
    i think the newer models with the plastic cap and touch longer length look promising, i find poc stuff to run a little narrower than some other brands so is a good start on fit at least

also have a pair of race face rally fr knee/shin in a mens large, length is good but way more volume than my chicken legs, lots of velcro added and they fit ok enough but ive never really put them to use

i also have a pair of race face rally fr elbows that are a womens model, same length but skinnier fit, they kick ass, ive beaten the shit out of them and never a slip, would like to try the womens version of their knee/shin as well but overkill for my current local trails so havent bothered looking for them

hit the craft store, grab some velcro and a roll of elastic, thats all i do, the results arent always amazing, but better than stock, and sometimes things end coming together pretty damn nicely

The problem is that I am 6'4 with a 35" inseam.
    Good luck. Same problemo here, pads just like to slip down when pedaling.

Most of the fat guys (anyone not pencil thin) size to XL and XXL in bike pads.
    And even those are just roomier, not really taller.

Look for pads with straps that tighten above the knee. That seems like the best bet.
    Or buy a bulk pack of hockey tape.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

same build here. 6'3", 36" inseam. maybe look into some old school (funny to say that as they're only a few years old) hard knee/shin guards. I'm able to keep a size M (officially too small for me) where they belong with only an occasional pull up and diligent strap placement. Mine are Race Face.

Thx guys. Poc is definitely on the short list, along with the size small of the dainese trail skins.

Also thinking hard shell pads like the lizard skins may work, but I am worried about the strap being loose around my stick legs

Fox launch pro knee pads stay put. They've got a silicone band up top that helps keep then from slipping. A lot of people say they're not for pedaling, cus they have plastic knee caps, but I wear them for everything and I'm used to them and they're fine. I've crashed a bunch in them and they stay put and protect my knees. RaceFace roaches maybe called rally?(knee shin combo) are the worst for me, they always fell down, the knee cap would never stay on the knee. For you I would get the small mediums. I'm 6' and 183 lbs with a 33" inseam and i went L/XL. I guess they get sweaty, but I'm so used to wearing them for everything that it doesn't bother me and I don't even notice it.
    Last edited by markcjr; 06-13-2015 at 12:03 AM.

Thx I will take a look at the launches too

Have had the same issue as you (6'4" 35" inseam and skinny legs) and currently riding POC stuff. The VPD 2.0 Knees are my trail pads, and the VPD 2.0 DH Long Knee are what I'll be downhilling with. I also picked up a pair of their Shin guards that can be added to either of the knees for days I want a little extra coverage. Haven't had any issues with slippage in average crashes, and are comfortable enough to wear for long days.

I use Large in both versions
    __________________________________________________ _
    "Son, when you participate in sporting events, its not whether you win or loose, its how drunk you get." - Homer Simpson

Just got the small troy lee long knee guards from backcountry. Love them and 6'2".