Need help with quiver expension (GPO and/or BG)

I'm really hopping to step-up my ski-game next year and bum around the west coast. I don't have a set budget but the money I invest in sticks will ultimatly have to come from my ski-travelling budget.

As of today I have : - 171 cm Rossignol S5 (124-94-118) with Look PX 12 , I use them in the park and on hardpack.
    - 189 cm Fischer Watea (got them for free) with Salomon STH 12 (141-120-128), I use those as soon as it snows.

My problem with the Watea is that they re a too soft when I'm charging hard. I have no problem in trees but they act weird on steep open faces.
    Also, I went touring a few times on borrowed/ rented equipment last season and I'm due to get my own set-up. I will mostly do day trips, the downhill being my priority.

So I need something to charge hard and to tour, I ve read a lot of reviews and narrowed it down to the Praxis GPO and/or the On3p Billy Goats.
    I thought of a few scenarios but I'm still unsure. I'm 5,9 , 155 pounds, very fit and l'd like to start hitting up some local competitions next year.

1- Praxis GPO 187 with dynafits, 425$(standard), 510$(UL) or cheaper if I buy them from the gear swap (clearance sale price plus the 15% discount)
    The problem is I would be hucking cliffs on hard pack using dynafits.

2-Praxis GPO 187 with dual quiverkillers (dynafit and my STH)

3-Praxis GPO 175 ( mid 111mm) with dynafits and some Billy Goats from gear swap.

I have Scarpa freedoms, I'll just need to get the tech soles to be tech-compatible.
    I havent looked much into frame touring binding as I figured my skis/boots are already heavy enough.

Muchas Gracias

I was between these skis for a while as well. Ended up with the BGs after touring the facilities in Portland. Probably could have gone either way. If you're going to be sending it to hard pack and want to tour efficiently get yourself some Beasts. There's probably a few pairs floating around gear swap.

The problem with the Beast is that, from what I heard, my boots wont be compatible with my alpine bindings anymore. I guess I could put quiver killers on all my skis and only use the beasts, I'll think about that.

This is TGR, the land of bloated quivers. Pick up multiple pairs of GPO and Billgoats in different lengths from gear swap, mount bindings on all of them, ski them maybe once, and then sell at a loss.

All seriousness though, at your height/weight I'd get 186 Billygoats/187 GPO used, and some alpine bindings on them for pow. If you want to ski comps, get a 105-108ish underfoot ski for hardpack. If you want a pow touring setup, consider the 182 GPO UL with dynafits. (but I personally prefer something more around 100mm for real touring. Touring=/=Bootpack 100 yards from lifts.)

Quiver of one ends up being a quiver of none if you are actually sick/gnar enough to ski in big mountain comps. Alpine ski on alpine gear, tour on touring gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    This is TGR, the land of bloated quivers. Pick up multiple pairs of GPO and Billgoats in different lengths from gear swap, mount bindings on all of them, ski them maybe once, and then sell at a loss.

All seriousness though, at your height/weight I'd get 186 Billygoats/187 GPO used, and some alpine bindings on them for pow. If you want to ski comps, get a 105-108ish underfoot ski for hardpack. If you want a pow touring setup, consider the 182 GPO UL with dynafits. (but I personally prefer something more around 100mm for real touring. Touring=/=Bootpack 100 yards from lifts.)

Quiver of one ends up being a quiver of none if you are actually sick/gnar enough to ski in big mountain comps. Alpine ski on alpine gear, tour on touring gear.
    Comp specific skis wont be necessary as I don't intend to participate a lot/take it seriously. I've used 100mm skis for touring, no problem on the way up but i felt i was missing out a bit on the way down. I know praxis has some GPO at 111mm but only up to 176cm, would that be too short for a touring specific ski?
    I'm really trying to avoid as much overlap as possible ( and save some $$$), I think the best option would be 186 GPO with dual mount.
    I guess the gods of gearswap/ online deals will decide of my fate.

Steeple is like a billy goat, but not as stiff and comes in at 112mm

UL Praxis are not made to charge on hard snow.
    Billy Goats are heavy.

GPO is standard carbon or fiberglass layup are a good compromise, as are ON3P steeples.

I'd get whatever is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by CWAZY View Post
    Comp specific skis wont be necessary as I don't intend to participate a lot/take it seriously. I've used 100mm skis for touring, no problem on the way up but i felt i was missing out a bit on the way down. I know praxis has some GPO at 111mm but only up to 176cm, would that be too short for a touring specific ski?
    I'm really trying to avoid as much overlap as possible ( and save some $$$), I think the best option would be 186 GPO with dual mount.
    I guess the gods of gearswap/ online deals will decide of my fate.
    I'm 5'8" 175 lbs and I've enjoyed skiing the 175 GPO in the UL build with dynafit verticals and mercuries.
    Awesome soft snow setup...used it for a 5 day trip to Baldy Knoll yurt in the Tetons this past Feb and it was money.

UL build not for resort or harder conditions so much.

Sounds like billygoat is a charging ski...

I'd consider the gpo's for touring (backcountry, non-resort snow), longer distances
    and get something else for resort sking.

If you're just starting out touring, some 175 gpo's in carbon build would be a bit more versatile.
    Aggressive in my own mind

Need help with quiver expension (GPO and/or BG)

I've got a spare set of 183 Head m103s kicking around that I may not use - and sell for cheap (50 + shipping?). That would cover your hardpack comp days - its what Lars destroyed hardpack comps with, back in the day. Its been mounted a few times so an existing (Salomon STH) mount would likely have to work. Whats your BSL? STH16s should work well with your tech soles, even.

Then you could grab whatever lightish fat powder ski that comes along. Ideally, I'd probably go GPO carbon with normal core. Quite a few carbon 187s sold in gear swap last season. Use inserts... or not.

Sale on at praxis now(summer clearance). 187 standard fiberglass gpo would do it all. Lighter than most companies standard skis. Super durable and would b a great comp ski as they like to b pushed. Love mine. Would be my pick for a one ski quiver. I have a hard time leaving those home. Pm me if u need a 15% off referral code
    Ps from the sounds of it I'd like to have a 186 bg as well. Sounds like a lot of fun. Not sure I'd want to tour on it although w dynafits might b ok.I'm sure I've had heavier setups

STP has G3 highball for $185
    Full rocker 140/116/127 9lbs in 175
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

GPO is as "do it all" as I have found. Plus, as noted by others, they are both light and tough as nails. At your ht/wt, you might consider the 182. As usual though - Keith is the best source of advice IMO.

BG tour layup might be an option for you? Considering you're a smaller guy as well, would be fine in the resort I'd think. Finding one for cheap might be hard.

The standard BG is heavy. I was weighing my brothers new pair and they were actually heavier than my spurs. And a little over 3/4 a pound heavier per ski than my standard layup GPOs.

I love my GPOs as an all around resort ski. Can't comment on BGs

Get u sum goats and me a MAN!
    watch out for snakes

What about a 182 GPO with CAST for your STH (cast + dyna toe =450) the first time buyer discount on standard GPOs would be a great price too, probably put the whole package together for about 900. Then your'e dialed on one set up, and each best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Get u sum goats and me a MAN!
    Good for you for coming out of the closet...!

Thanks for all the advice, I have a few new ideas. I'll just grab what ever comes up, I'm sure I'll be happy with my purchase either way. I just hate getting buyer`s remorse.

FWIW, I didn't think the GPO was that great except in homogeneous snow. Even then it is not what I would want to be my daily soft snow ski.

If you are fixated on the idea of one ski, I'd get something that is 108-112 and mount it with beast16s. As mentioned the 179 or 184 ON3P Steeple 112 would be my first choice. Others that I would consider are the PM Gear Lhasa @ 112, Praxis MVP @ 110, Blizzard 185 Cochise, Line Sickday 110, Armada Invictus 108.

If you want two skis I'd get something that is 100-108 and something that is 112-116. Mount the one you want for touring with touring bindings and the one you want for resort skiing with resort bindings. Select the style of ski based on your preference too. Presonally I don't see the need to go over 105 for a touring ski.
    Ask your self when will you be resort skiing and when will you be touring. For me, if it is storming I'm in the resort, if it hasn't snowed in a while I will be touring. For this reason I don't get super wide or long touring skis. Mine are currently 104 and 95 and 186 and 178cm. My resort skis are wider at 118 and 108 and over 190cm.

YMMV.

ON3P has a lot of stuff on sale on their website right now for as cheap as I've ever seen their skis new. And similar to the used prices that their skis go for during the winter on here. Now would be a great time to buy a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    ON3P has a lot of stuff on sale on their website right now for as cheap as I've ever seen their skis new. And similar to the used prices that their skis go for during the winter on here. Now would be a great time to buy a pair.
    Indeed.
    Here you go: http://shop.on3pskis.com/collections...15-steeple-112

"I've got a spare set of 183 Head m103s kicking around that I may not use - and sell for cheap (50 + shipping?). " I'm interested in these. 305bsl, any of those previous mounts work for that? I skied this ski forward in the past. PM'd