Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Nice, 8 down, 2 to go. I'll send a PM to those who've expressed interest this weekend, and if we get to 10, we'll figure out how to best coordinate.

Taken on my phone, tip rocker is 40cm, tail rocker is 30cm. This particular pair has 4mm of camber, the production ones will have 2mm in the CountDown and YW8 lines and 1mm in the M-series.

Tip and tail rocker lines as in the photos, tip height is 60mm, and as you can see, a very gradual rise of the rockers and smooth transitions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1436471231753.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	168163  
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

So more details on this . . . I've confirmed the 10% off for the group order, so with the 1 to 1.1 dollar to euro ratio, Gregor just proposed that we pay listed amount in USD, e.g., the Countdown 110 is listed at 379 euros, for this group purchase, the price would then be $379 USD.

Free shipping of all 10 skis to the U.S. in one package. From there, we can coordinate pick-ups/deliveries via hand free of charge or the buyer can pay the cost to ship within the U.S.

It doesn't get much better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    So more details on this . . . I've confirmed the 10% off for the group order, so with the 1 to 1.1 dollar to euro ratio, Gregor just proposed that we pay listed amount in USD, e.g., the Countdown 110 is listed at 379 euros, for this group purchase, the price would then be $379 USD.

Free shipping of all 10 skis to the U.S. in one package. From there, we can coordinate pick-ups/deliveries via hand free of charge or the buyer can pay the cost to ship within the U.S.

It doesn't get much better than that.
    Thanks mang.

Come on people...
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    Taken on my phone, tip rocker is 40cm, tail rocker is 30cm. This particular pair has 4mm of camber, the production ones will have 2mm in the CountDown and YW8 lines and 1mm in the M-series.

Tip and tail rocker lines as in the photos, tip height is 60mm, and as you can see, a very gradual rise of the rockers and smooth transitions.
    If the 115M truly has 1mm of camber (3mm less than shown), it looks like a killer fucking ski. I'm in. Will be sitting next to my 191 Volkl Katanas, 191 Wrenegades, 191 Billygoats and newly ordered 193 Liberty Variants. Looks like I'll be selling off a few pairs at some point this winter...

2 more people... jump on it guys!

I wish the Canadian dollar wasn't worth so little, but it is, so I'm sad.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

I just jumped off the fence and into the pool, I'm all in, Come on boy's this is way better than Sierra Trading Post. Keep the maggot group buy alive!

Very exciting. Now the only question is what direction to go? Looking to replace my everyday (and only) AT skis for use in Colorado. Go with the YW8s, as originally planned? Or mount my unmounted 184 Praxis Freerides as AT and get the CD7 for an everyday alpine ski for use at Loveland and wherever else I go? Or just get the CD7s for an AT ski?

I feel like I'm getting pulled down the quiver-filling rabbit hole - "well if I get the YW8s, I should get a second AT ski for mid-winter pow days..." In reality, I ski on a 103 underfoot first gen Bluehouse District as AT ski for all non-tele bc days now, so the YW8s will be lighter and probably float better anyway. Seem like a good mix of spring peaks/mid-winter trees/everything else, right?

*Have 189 BH maestros mounted alpine, 118 underfoot for soft days, 186 Line prophet 90s for early season and bumps, 179 Faction Agent 90s with 01s for tele and spring touring. Either Freerides or CD7s would be for an alpine everyday ski.
    Last edited by miserywhip; 07-10-2015 at 02:10 PM.
    a witty saying proves nothing
    voltaire

Bump, b/c Wed. is the 15th.

8 are in, 2 more to go for the group buy . . . .

Come on fellas go to there website and browse around all the carbon goodness for under $400 including shipping to the U.S. This is a great deal fo real

C'mon folks... you know you want it!

Inching towards July 15 -- carbon fiber, handcrafted skis to Swiss precision for $400 -- anyone else?

I'm in for YW8s if somebody can give me a better idea of a ski(s) they are comparable to. Searching isn't turning up enough to push me over the edge yet...

They feel like a lightweight high-turn radius Cochise with better float. Float really well. Kinda like Renegades in how they move through the snow. They don't make 100% clean carves well unless you really like going fast, but they slarve exceptionally well as a result. Quite damp in construction for a light ski. Beats the pants off other light skis (G3, DPS, etc). Feels a lot like PM Gear carbons.

And then there were 9; 1 more to make this happen. We bought ourselves a little extra time, so if anyone wants to stop straddling the fence . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    They feel like a lightweight high-turn radius Cochise with better float. Float really well. Kinda like Renegades in how they move through the snow. They don't make 100% clean carves well unless you really like going fast, but they slarve exceptionally well as a result. Quite damp in construction for a light ski. Beats the pants off other light skis (G3, DPS, etc). Feels a lot like PM Gear carbons.
    I find it hard to believe that skis weighing so little (2400g for the pair of 179 YW8) can ski all that well. Is this a new layup they are using, or the same as past construction?

I eagerly await some reviews of the YW8 series.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Lindahl is not describing the ultralight layup, but the hybrid carbon layup used on most of their skis. I agree with his assessment completely. The ultralight layup is also excellent, but they still ski like ultralight skis. I've owned the CD4's (which I sold to Lindahl), 102L's (which I've skied quite a bit and are just about the same shape, but much lighter and a bit softer), and SD115's (which are also the same shape but wider and longer, with continuous rocker- haven't skied them yet). Obviously, the fact I I keep coming back to the same shape tells you it works for me. They slarve on all snow types, float very well and are quite stable. They don't carve easily and they're a bit sensitive to fore-aft balance. I also like Cochises, which are a bit easier to ski, but don't float as well, and are obviously much heavier. Haven't skied Renegades but they sound similar.

Good point (my bad)... how would you describe the differences in the two layups? Identical to lightweight layups from G3/DPS/etc.? Or closer to other ultralight layups?

On a side note, I'd love the new SD 115M in a 110mm underfoot. It'd be an awesome one-ski-quiver for resorts. Feel like 115 is a bit too wide for everyday. I guess I'll settle for the 115 if this group buy comes through.

The ultralight layup isn't comparable to DPS as its so much lighter but the amount twangy vibration is similar to an older pair of Wailer 105's I had The Downs will deflect more, but they weigh 25% less. Unfortunately I haven't skied the newest G3, Blizzard, Dynafit layups that have been so well received. Compared to Trabs, Dynafits from a few years back, they're much more stable at speed. I guess they feel a bit like Voile vectors in that the weight is a compromise, but not one that takes the fun out it. The Downs convey more vibration, but are more stable when pushed.

I'd like to try the layup in a more traditional shape. I don't really understand the YW89. Too skinny for the shape unless you weigh 120lbs imho.

I need a new touring/ski mountaineering ski. I'm potentially interested in this deal. A couple questions:

1 - How will warranty issues be handled, should one arise?
    2 - Help me pick a ski. I'm 6'1", 185 lbs. This ski will mostly be used for approaches to CO backcountry ice climbs, hut tours, and climbing/skiing the more mellow 14ers. Also will take it to Chamonix, but again, to support the climbing efforts. Skiing will be a secondary pursuit. I won't be charging crazy lines. Binding will be lightweight tech (TBD, but probably Speed Radicals or Ion LT). Boots are TLT5P or 6P.

I'm in the Denver area, so could coordinate arrival with the other Denver maggot above.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokeSomeRibs View Post
    I need a new touring/ski mountaineering ski. I'm potentially interested in this deal. A couple questions:

2 - Help me pick a ski. I'm 6'1", 185 lbs. This ski will mostly be used for approaches to CO backcountry ice climbs, hut tours, and climbing/skiing the more mellow 14ers. Also will take it to Chamonix, but again, to support the climbing efforts. Skiing will be a secondary pursuit. I won't be charging crazy lines. Binding will be lightweight tech (TBD, but probably Speed Radicals or Ion LT). Boots are TLT5P or 6P.

I'm in the Denver area, so could coordinate arrival with the other Denver maggot above.
    Not had to deal with any warranty issue but two seasons on CD6s without any problems.. There were some logistical issues when my skis were shipped and Down went above and beyond what I would expect any ski company to do to make it right... especially since they were a sale price and no increase in shipping cost to me in US. Thoroughly satisfied customer.

They're based in Chamonix.. worst case you could probably pick your new pair up at the store right next to the bottom of the midi? I'm sure it wouldn't come to that though.

Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Yeah, I don't have much to add re warranty stuff other than what PNWbrit said. I would contact Gregor or those folks directly if you want more information or have a specific question. Generally, customer service is outstanding, so my guess would be that if a warranty issue were to arise, they would work something out with you to your satisfaction.

If I were you and were going to pair the skis Dynafit bindings and boots, I'd go with the YW8 102 in 186 cm. The 179 version saves only 100 grams, so I'd go for the slightly better flotation of the longer skis. If I had Silvretta bindings and plastic mountaineering boots that are shit for skiing, then I'd consider the WY8 89. Otherwise, I agree with I've Seen Black Diamonds that that ski is for smaller folk.

IMO the 102 (now YW102?) is the ski in the Down lineup that fits the bill (on paper). My stats and wants are effectively identical to yours, and I bought a pair at the end of last season. FWIW I own renegades, cochises, and EHPs, so I have a decent amount of time on non-traditional shapes. The 102s were purchased to replace 177 Mantras as my spring touring/mountaineering ski.

The jury is still out for me. I only have a handful of days on 'em, but mostly on funky snow. In grabby firm conditions and mank, I had a lot of trouble getting the tails to release, or maybe is was getting the tips to engage. I got 3 turns in 4-5" inches of fresh and the result was 5 seconds glory. We'll see. I'm in Boulder, work in Denver and you're welcome to check out my pair anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    IMO the 102 (now YW102?) is the ski in the Down lineup that fits the bill (on paper). My stats and wants are effectively identical to yours, and I bought a pair at the end of last season. FWIW I own renegades, cochises, and EHPs, so I have a decent amount of time on non-traditional shapes. The 102s were purchased to replace 177 Mantras as my spring touring/mountaineering ski.

The jury is still out for me. I only have a handful of days on 'em, but mostly on funky snow. In grabby firm conditions and mank, I had a lot of trouble getting the tails to release, or maybe is was getting the tips to engage. I got 3 turns in 4-5" inches of fresh and the result was 5 seconds glory. We'll see. I'm in Boulder, work in Denver and you're welcome to check out my pair anytime.
    If you have the 102Ls, then yes, the YW8 102 replaces that and now comes in two lengths: 179 (like the original) and 186 cm. If you have the regular 102, well, that option is not around this year; only the light version is.

Sounds like going as light as possible would be the best idea for you.

Assuming there's local pickup in Seattle (sounds like there will be), I plan on grabbing them there, or my relatives grabbing them, and driving them down (or flying them down) to Denver. I might be able to grab yours too (flying might be tricky, because of the weight limits).