Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    USA and England against Germany and Japan. I feel like we've been here be...
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    One example is Alex Morgan, she's about 1/2 step slow this year - or she'd have 5 goals already.
    Playing hurt. It's Lloyd and Johnston's team right now. Pretty stoked that arguably the best player in the world right now (Johnston) played at my alma mater.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    USA and England against Germany and Japan. I feel like we've been here be...
    Heh. I see what you did there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    I thought the draw was random. If so they didn't "put" them anywhere.
    FIFA picked them. Here's the justification:

Basically, FIFA feels like it needs to put certain teams in certain cities to sell tickets and in certain time zones to help with TV ratings back home.
    In other words, FIFA arranged the seedings to make more money, which, while shitty, isn't surprising. I still don't completely understand why having top-seeded teams face each other early is likely to increase viewership though.

On a related note, I've been extremely disappointed with the media coverage. I don't get the games on my cable package and the general coverage on the mainstream outlets has been weak.

Since your cable provider doesn't carry the games, I doubt this will work but worth a shot. Download the "Fox Sports Go" app. All of the games are streamed there, but you do have to log in with your cable provider info (Verizon FiOS FTW!).

This semi is heating up! Germany duffed a pk!

Alex Morgan got hammered on that pk call. Converted! Ha

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    FIFA picked them. Here's the justification:

In other words, FIFA arranged the seedings to make more money, which, while shitty, isn't surprising. I still don't completely understand why having top-seeded teams face each other early is likely to increase viewership though.

On a related note, I've been extremely disappointed with the media coverage. I don't get the games on my cable package and the general coverage on the mainstream outlets has been weak.
    So FIFA is just confirming once again that it's all about the bucks.

that was a fun game to watch. I kept waiting for Rapinoe to decide that she was going to destroy Maier.

Womens World Cup Soccer

Nice!!!
    Let's hear it for the White, Black and Highlighter!!!!!

Great game!

Womens World Cup Soccer

I like our odds when the US beats Germany and moves on to take on Japan.😜

Quote Originally Posted by boarddad View Post
    Since your cable provider doesn't carry the games, I doubt this will work but worth a shot. Download the "Fox Sports Go" app. All of the games are streamed there, but you do have to log in with your cable provider info (Verizon FiOS FTW!).
    The last 2 USA games have been on regular Fox.

GREAT game by the ladies. Looked so strong.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I like our odds when the US beats Germany and moves on to take on Japan.😜
    Look for Japan to fight hard until US scores with a couple huge bombs late in the game.

That second goal was sweet. Can't believe the Germans missed a PK.

Thanks man! I was able to watch some of the games at work. Now it seems to be on normal Fox.

Tomorrow's match between England and Japan will be on FS1.

The women play about 6 times harder then the men. Much better watching. The refereeing is equal(ly bad).

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The women play about 6 times harder then the men. Much better watching.
    This is one of the dumbest posts I've ever read.

Bummer about the shitty reffing last night. Would have been a much different game if Johnston had been sent off and the US got a free kick instead of a pk. 2nd goal was a beaut though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post

Bummer about the shitty reffing last night. Would have been a much different game if Johnston had been sent off and the US got a free kick instead of a pk. 2nd goal was a beaut though.
    Yeah, it was nice to get that second goal, since the first was kind of a bad call in order to get that pk. But to your point, the second may not have happened if the red card had come out.

Its time to get those critical calls correct in order to keep the game fair. Germans must be bullshit right now. Although, for the most part I think the US outplayed the Germans.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    Yeah, it was nice to get that second goal, since the first was kind of a bad call in order to get that pk.
    People keep saying this, but I watched it and thought the call was right. I assume you're joinin gthose who claim the foul was not in the penalty area, and should have been a direct free kick instead of a PK. But the laws of the game say you give the PK if "the offence" is "committed by a player inside his own penalty area irrespective of the position of the ball." It's the place where the offending conduct occurred that matters. In this case, I think the conduct, whether you call it blocking or charging, occurred literally on the penalty area line. Since in soccer lines are considered to be a part of the area they enclose, I think the call was either right, or so close that it can't be called "bad."

Womens World Cup Soccer

I agree. And I'm not being a homer here, we discussed this at length during the game. It's either an obstruction type call so that there would be an indirect kick, or it's what happened, (and we got to see slow motion replays).

For "kicks" I watched the Morgan call again, and the German player ran right in front of her and into her with no intention of going after the ball. Here's a vine I can't embed:
    https://vine.co/v/e1BuVTDau3I
    Last edited by plugboots; 07-01-2015 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    People keep saying this, but I watched it and thought the call was right. I assume you're joinin gthose who claim the foul was not in the penalty area, and should have been a direct free kick instead of a PK. But the laws of the game say you give the PK if "the offence" is "committed by a player inside his own penalty area irrespective of the position of the ball." It's the place where the offending conduct occurred that matters. In this case, I think the conduct, whether you call it blocking or charging, occurred literally on the penalty area line. Since in soccer lines are considered to be a part of the area they enclose, I think the call was either right, or so close that it can't be called "bad."
    I'm just going by what the 'rules guy' said on the broadcast after the fact. I don't really know, but he is the professional so I'm going with his analysis.

Maybe I've just been hanging out with too many Euros, but I thought the game was called fairly. Frankly the "what if" discussion might be fun over a couple of beers, but it really has no place in soccer (sorry, football). Reason being, the rules state that you can award a card for a series of fouls, and the foul that gets the card does not have to be all that egregious. That's what happened to Rapinoe. Likewise, if the team is fouling one player in particular, the referee can at any time decide he/she has had enough and card the last player to foul. It could be the first time that particular player commits the foul and the foul doesn't have to be all that bad. The point is, the referee is taking control of the game and stopping the string of fouls. How could something like replay ever figure in to that?

So how does that figure in to yesterday's game? How on earth do you second guess a referee's decision to award a yellow vs. red card? You weren't on the pitch and don't know the tenor of play. Was the German player really unimpeded to the goal? She still has to face freaking Hope Solo - that's not a gimme. If you want to talk about what ifs, what if she would have made the PK? She didn't, that's soccer.

Frankly it drives me nuts that they throw to the "expert" to second guess the calls on the field. That's disrespectful to the referee and yes, the game. It's like we are all too stupid to interpret the game on our own. That may have been true 20 years ago but not anymore.

It's true that the defender was closer to the area than the US forward, but the infraction occurs at the position of the fouled player, not the other way around. Definitely not a pk.
    Hugh Conway sucks
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Frankly it drives me nuts that they throw to the "expert" to second guess the calls on the field. That's disrespectful to the referee and yes, the game. It's like we are all too stupid to interpret the game on our own. That may have been true 20 years ago but not anymore.
    Comical, especially for a US audience. First off, the refs routinely make bad calls. Second, even informed audiences sometimes need an explanation of why a call was made. Third, those two things often go hand in hand, where a bad call is made and the right call is worth explaining, which is exactly what happened here. I completely disagree with the 1920's philosophy that the game only exists as the ref calls it. We know better today and if you want to be respectful to the game, we'll provide the tools required for the refs to get the calls right.
    Hugh Conway sucks