Shed Alternatives

We just went under contract on a sweet house in a great neighborhood. Pretty much our dream home, except it doesn't have a garage. Which is the only reason we can afford it. Real Estate in durango is going ape-shit right now.

I'm accustomed to never (ever) parking in our current houses garage, but between our current one-car garage and 8x10 storage shed we keep 9 bikes, rafting gear, skis, tools,workbench, freezer and kids yard toys.

We have a little cash to throw at it and want to come up with a shed/workshop. I'm thinking about 180-200sf should do it. 16'x12' ish. Will not be heated, but will be wired for electric lights and outlets. Will also have an outdoor covered low-roof "cruiser corral" for commuter bikes, kayaks and sup boards.

Plan on framing a little wood-floor shed, but guessing the collective has some cool ideas for alternatives. Shipping container? Prefab something? Kits?

Lay it on me.

Thanks.

A tarp.

Shipping container.
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Shelter logic
    watch out for snakes

dig a bunker

Seriously, tough, no shipping containers. Had a neighbor who dropped a container in his yard as a workshop. Evertyime he tunred on a power tool, the whole container acted like a drum skin and amplified the noise. Me and the other neighbors all voluntered to help build him a shed just so he'd get rid of the thing.

Pour a slab, build a pole barn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

I'll give my ex employer a plug. These things are pretty solid.

http://alaskastructures.com

congrats on the house! I know that's as hard to do in Durango as it is in Boulder.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Check your local building requirements, but here I picked a 10x12 shed because that was the max size before permit was needed. That would've added some cost and hassle, and wasn't worth it for us. Below that size, the structure isn't considered permanent (here), so you can place it however you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

If you can frame it yourself to code and can afford it, customize it for your needs, which sound like they go beyond the typical pre-fab shed option. Base model Tuff Shed in a 12x16 is $2700 for my zipcode.

You are paying alot of money to have someone do the construction for you with those prefab options. There are a million plans on the internet for sheds that you can get for free or cheap to submit as plans.

As someone mentioned, if you keep it under 200 sq ft per structure, you can avoid permitting, but you are going to need permitting anyways (electrical) because you will be running power to it.

Shipping containers parked next to houses always raise the overall look of the neighborhood.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

In our city 160sf is maximum before permits are required. However, I'm putting this in a completely fenced-in yard where no city official will be able to see it, so I'm hoping the extra ~30sf will go unnoticed. Plus, rumor is they don't really have a way of addressing violations so I'm pretty sure I'm just going to go for it at 12x16.

I'm going to have my buddy (licensed electrician) run some power from the box into the shed (it's like 4' from the panel). He'll also be wiring up our 220v hot tub at the same time. So again, flying under permit regs there.

Thanks, Danno. Shit is out of control in durango. A house a block away just sold for $400/ft. (960sf house for $400,000). We feel like we are getting a good deal. We have been really fortunate with our last two houses (one in SFe, one in dgo) so we have a little equity to throw at it. This house isn't downtown, but it is on the "west avenues" so less than a mile to downtown along the river trail with no hills. Stoked.

I want it to be a nice shed/workshop, and would like to be under $5000. Hopefully way under, but that's the budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    In our city 160sf is maximum before permits are required. However, I'm putting this in a completely fenced-in yard where no city official will be able to see it, so I'm hoping the extra ~30sf will go unnoticed. Plus, rumor is they don't really have a way of addressing violations so I'm pretty sure I'm just going to go for it at 12x16.
    Maybe it's different in a small town like Durango, but around here there's no way a city official is going to see a shed going up and come knock on your door to check that have/need a permit. It's total free reign unless your neighbor submits a complaint to the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Maybe it's different in a small town like Durango, but around here there's no way a city official is going to see a shed going up and come knock on your door to check that have/need a permit. It's total free reign unless your neighbor submits a complaint to the city.
    i like this attitude, very progressive
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

I'm going to have my buddy (licensed electrician) run some power from the box into the shed (it's like 4' from the panel). He'll also be wiring up our 220v hot tub at the same time. So again, flying under permit regs there.
    In my professional capacity, I would advise against this for a few reasons.

1. You're new to the neighborhood. You have probably 2 and maybe up to 8 extended neighbors. They don't know you yet, and you don't know them. In my experience, neighbors generally don't like to see immediate change like a big shed going up in the yard next door. Count on someone ratting you out, much more than getting caught by the local building inspector.

2. I see unpermitted stuff all the time. For the most part I couldn't give a shit. It's your risk, but it is your investment. Don't make a very costly mistake. Permits are cheap compared to potentially complying with DGO's building department and the city lawyer. A quick check on DGO's website says the max size of an unpermitted accessory structure is 120 sq. ft. Not very big for storage and work space. I would recommend getting the permit for a bigger structure.

3. If you decide to blow off the permits, there's a couple other things: Space it away from your house at least 5', the code minimum fire separation between 2 structures on the same lot.
    And space it away from your lot lines according to the setbacks in DGO's Land Use Code. I tried to figure it out but it depends on your neighborhood zone. It seems to be 5' on the side lot lines, and 20' to the rear.

All that being said, I think Tuff Shed is great. It can be built to DGO's design parameters. The per foot price is pretty decent if you're not building something yourself.
    Again congrats on getting your dream house there. Me n the mrs. were up there in February, we'd love to live there, but DGO is actually more expensive than FLG.

Jesus christ, just get a freaking permit. Do it legit! The building department plans examiner and the building inspector may save you from doing something stupid.
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

I just built this last fall and it's 12'x16'. It was going to be a shed, but it has been upgraded to guest house and I'm moving it later this month to a better spot on our property. The windows were pricey, so I think I have almost $7k into it and did it all myself (except excavation and installation of footings).

Great thing about this area is there are no permits required. That said, I'd comply with your town, as it's not a big fee and worth the small effort for the piece of mind.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Shed Alternatives

I appreciate the feedback.

Rico...I hear you, but in the particular corner where the shed would go there is an easement between two properties and lots of setbacks between neighbors and a high fence. The other side WAS a college rental that is also for sale and priced high (lots of square footage, poor interior, low ceilings).

I don't see it being a problem.

We went back today to measure some bedrooms and it seems the point is moot anyway. In conversations with the city it seems that you can have multiple sheds, and two 12x10 fit on the lot better, or a 10x16, so either way, a 12x16 may not be happening regardless. Two smaller sheds could work really well. One for rafting gear and other stuff we don't use every day, and another for bikes, work bench, tools, etc.

That said, I appreciate the feedback and I recognize the risks. Durango is a pretty sweet but the cost of living is bonkers. I though FLG was pretty affordable?

Sweet "shed" BigDaddy.

I appreciate the feedback.

Rico...I hear you, but in the particular corner where the shed would go there is an easement between two properties and lots of setbacks between neighbors and a high fence. The other side WAS a college rental that is also for sale and priced high (lots of square footage, poor interior, low ceilings).

I don't see it being a problem.

We went back today to measure some bedrooms and it seems the point is moot anyway. In conversations with the city it seems that you can have multiple sheds, and two 12x10 fit on the lot better, or a 10x16, so either way, a 12x16 may not be happening regardless. Two smaller sheds could work really well. One for rafting gear and other stuff we don't use every day, and another for bikes, work bench, tools, etc.

That said, I appreciate the feedback and I recognize the risks. Durango is a pretty sweet but the cost of living is bonkers. I thought FLG was pretty affordable?
    If the idea of two 10x12 sheds (no permits!) is cool with you, I think it's a decent idea.
    I built my shed, 7x10, on a framed wood floor. I have a tiny yard, and I put it only a couple feet from the fence (I'm as guilty as everybody else). But if my neighbors get all uppity about it, it could be moved.
    Just keep in mind the set backs.

FLG, affordable? Ha, sadly, no. Prices are climbing, about $210 a foot, but not sky rocketing.

Some good options here, love this magazine and the latest edition came with a shed on the cover about the time as the OP.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/search/index?search=Shed