Colorado Trails advice

Hey peeps, I'm doing a family caravan trip through parts of Colorado and want to bring the pedal bike. What trails are must do? Time will be limited since I'll have the kids along, but I can sneak away here and there.

First stop is Sedona, AZ. Yeah, yeah, not Colorado, but coming from California it's the way we're doing it. Anyone know a trail that I just have to do? I've heard tons of awesome stuff, but know nothing of the area. It would be an early morning ride here.

Next stop is Monument Valley and Mesa Verde for four nights. I figure no riding going on here so I'll just build up the goodwill.

From there it's over to Durango and the train ride to Silverton.

Then it's off to Matterhorn Campground, outside Telluride for 3 nights.

Lastly we are at Lottis Creek Campground for 3 nights, looks to be sort of near Gunnison and Crested Butte.

We are leaving here on June 16th. So, yeah, any good advice on the best, most awesomest trail rides would be greatly appreciated. I'll get my google-fu on to see what I can come up with on my own, but trust you freaks to point me to the goods more than what I can randomly find. And if anyone is in the area and wouldn't mind showing me a ride that'd be just dandy as well.

Thanks!

Phil's World and Sand Canyon, both near Mesa Verde

You do know Sedona is probably going to be hot right? If you don't mind the heat, ride early in the morning. Like, be riding by 6. Highline>Baldwin>Templeton>Slim Shady would be the go to loop. Start from the Bike n Bean in Village of Oak Creek. Take your family swimming in Oak Creek in the afternoon.
    If you're not into riding in heat in Sedona, drive up to Flagstaff, it won't be hot. Start from the Schultz Creek trailhead.

Lottis Creek is a nice camp, stayed there before. If I remember correctly, it's near the end of the Doctor's Park trail #424
    Goldenboy put together a nice compendium of CB trails here: http://14erskiers.com/blog/crested-b...in-bike-guide/

Quote Originally Posted by ricorides View Post
    You do know Sedona is probably going to be hot right? If you don't mind the heat, ride early in the morning. Like, be riding by 6. Highline>Baldwin>Templeton>Slim Shady would be the go to loop. Start from the Bike n Bean in Village of Oak Creek. Take your family swimming in Oak Creek in the afternoon.
    If you're not into riding in heat in Sedona, drive up to Flagstaff, it won't be hot. Start from the Schultz Creek trailhead.

Lottis Creek is a nice camp, stayed there before. If I remember correctly, it's near the end of the Doctor's Park trail #424
    Goldenboy put together a nice compendium of CB trails here: http://14erskiers.com/blog/crested-b...in-bike-guide/
    Eh, I live in Fresno. Hot is relative. And it looks like Sedona has a similar temp range so I'll be fine. Like I said, I'll do an early morning. Thanks for the info on the loop. I'll check out that link.

Around durango id skip Phil's and Sand Canyon in mid June. Those are great trails, but when the "real" riding in durango is dry there is no reason to ride near Cortez.

Lots (endless) of possibilities in durango. Are you staying downtown? Looking for 1-3 hr rides right outta your hotel? Let me know what you're looking for and I'll point you in the right direction. If the timing jives I'll show you around.

That's a lot of time off. Get a job, hippie!
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    That's a lot of time off. Get a job, hippie!
    The benefit of being self employed and not having tax season or extension deadlines anytime soon.

Punk!

Also, glad to see you stick your head in to this neck of the woods.

CB: Trail 401
    Gunnison: Hartman's

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    Around durango id skip Phil's and Sand Canyon in mid June. Those are great trails, but when the "real" riding in durango is dry there is no reason to ride near Cortez.

Lots (endless) of possibilities in durango. Are you staying downtown? Looking for 1-3 hr rides right outta your hotel? Let me know what you're looking for and I'll point you in the right direction. If the timing jives I'll show you around.
    Looks like we'll only be in Durango one day and we'll be doing the train to Silverton that day. So I don't think I'll have time to ride in Durango. Thanks for the offer though. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by BP Pow View Post
    CB: Trail 401
    Gunnison: Hartman's
    Yup. Have those two on my list already.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post
    Looks like we'll only be in Durango one day and we'll be doing the train to Silverton that day. So I don't think I'll have time to ride in Durango. Thanks for the offer though. Much appreciated.
    FYI, Durango has some really good riding right from town. So if you find yourself with an extra 90 minutes, you could still get a nice ride in (assuming you're staying somewhere in/near town).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

The Galloping Goose Trail runs from the top of Lizard Head Pass to Telluride. When you drive from Durango to Matterhorn CG have your wife drop you off at the top of the Pass. They can do a hike from the pass top parking lot up the ridge a ways on the trail on the other side of the highway and check out the spectacular views and wild flowers to give you a head start. You can ride the trail to the CG and meet them there. Next day they drive to T-ride and you ride the rest of the trail from the CG to town.

The bike shops in T-ride give bikers shuttle rides to the top of the Pass so they can ride back to town. It is well marked and a beautiful ride, but not all downhill. When you get to town be sure can check out the old Galloping Goose train that is in front of the courthouse.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    The Galloping Goose Trail runs from the top of Lizard Head Pass to Telluride. When you drive from Durango to Matterhorn CG have your wife drop you off at the top of the Pass. They can do a hike from the pass top parking lot up the ridge a ways on the trail on the other side of the highway and check out the spectacular views and wild flowers to give you a head start. You can ride the trail to the CG and meet them there. Next day they drive to T-ride and you ride the rest of the trail from the CG to town.

The bike shops in T-ride give bikers shuttle rides to the top of the Pass so they can ride back to town. It is well marked and a beautiful ride, but not all downhill. When you get to town be sure can check out the old Galloping Goose train that is in front of the courthouse.
    This is perfect.

I have 3 five year olds and a 2 month old so I don't think the wife will be doing any hiking with the three crazies and baby, but a drop off and the ability to ride right from/to the campground works perfectly. Thanks!

Another option might be riding from the top of the free gondola that runs from town to the Mountain Village. You can all load up in T-ride (your bike goes on the back for free too), then you get off at the top and take the single track across the mountain and down to the Mountain Village, while they stay on and meet you there for lunch, after which everyone and your bike take the gondola back to town.

A tip for Durango: I strongly suggest only taking the Silverton train one way. You can ride the train up and take the bus back. The bus ride is only about an hour. Both ways on the slow train is a very long day, especially with the crew you have.
    Gravity Junkie

Shoot me a text when you know exactly what dates you'll be at Matterhorn. I'll be spending a fair amount of time in Telluride this summer and there's decent odds I'll be there at the same time. It would be great to sneak in a ride with you or just stop by and say hi.

Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post
    I have 3 five year olds and a 2 month old
    Just stopping by to say HOLY SHIT and it's awesome that you are planning to ride at all. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Shoot me a text when you know exactly what dates you'll be at Matterhorn. I'll be spending a fair amount of time in Telluride this summer and there's decent odds I'll be there at the same time. It would be great to sneak in a ride with you or just stop by and say hi.
    Awesome.

Pretty sure the dates will be at Matterhorn are June 22, 23 and 24.

I seem to have lost your number. You still have mine? Shoot me a text. Would be great to get a ride in with ya!

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Just stopping by to say HOLY SHIT and it's awesome that you are planning to ride at all. Wow.
    That's because my wife is awesome. And it also helps that the grandparents will be there to help look after the rowdies. Mudfoot's riding ideas are perfect since they entail the family being preoccupied while I ride. Win Win.

Great suggestions from Mudfoot. You can ride back to Matterhorn from the Gondola: take Prospect trail to Alta Lakes trails, then T-35 trail to Illium Valley, then Galloping Goose back to camp. Biggish ride but gets some of the best riding in the Telluride area. Also, you can ride back to town from Mountain Village using the Jurassic and Valley Floor trails.

i love love love teocalli in cb, better than 401 imo<---i know thats heresy around here

just my.02 its friggin ripping fun
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Bump for more trail advice in the San Juans.

I'll be in the Silverton/Telluride/Ouray areas for the Hardrock 100 this weekend (not running, light crew-ing), and would like to get some rides in. I'm only familiar with Prospect in T-ride and the CO trail segment from Molas to Engineer near Silverton - both of these rides were pretty sweet IMO.

Any ideas in addition to what's already been suggested?

Alpine loop from silverton to American basin and through Lake city and back. Going over engineer pass is interesting in a jeep...piece of cake on a RZr. Lake city's got eats and an old school malt shop. I do this route on a RZr a couple times a year.