Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

OL Rusty (BEATER PART DEUX)

So.

Sold the saabaru, was working great and I drove it 3000 miles two weeks ago but I didnt trust the transmission so I figured I would get out from it while I still have time.

Decided to take an extra year to work through school after getting married a couple of weeks ago, so now I have time to actually spend time with my wife instead of doing 70 hour school weeks, and work on fun projects.

So I have been perusing craigslist during summer school differential equations and came across this gem.

1980 toyota pickup that runs great. Starts up first turn every time, but was lowered so much the driveshaft was rubbing on the rear cab crossmember and making a wretched awful sound. So I traded a 30 rack of miller light and about 20 minutes of welding on the kids go kart, and have a fully functional car until I find something to replace the saab.

My total budget for the car is 100 bucks. I bought smaller rear drop blocks and some bump stops for 50, and I am anticipating 30 dollars worth of registration. (Applying for bonded title and need to get the car inspected). Cut up a pool stick and made a shifter while I wasnt helping with the pikes peak car this afternoon...

Excited to see what becomes of this project

oh,hellzyah.
    plywood flatbed ftw

That thing can roast some tires on pavement. Parking lot donuts my friend
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    oh,hellzyah.
    plywood flatbed ftw
    hard to tell from the angle, but I think it's actually cedar fence boards. Plywood would be posh in comparison.

Did it come with the stickers?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

How the fuck is that thing legal to drive anywhere BUT on private land? No turn signals, horn, or bumper means that in my area that thing is a no go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    How the fuck is that thing legal to drive anywhere BUT on private land? No turn signals, horn, or bumper means that in my area that thing is a no go.
    Montana.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

"Patina."
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

that's why your area sucks

(not you, your area)

My area sucks because they have safety standards for 3000+lb vehicles that can go 70mph?

DC did get rid of motorcycle inspections a couple years ago, J. Rat bikes are just fine now - guess the thought is that the only people that can die are the rider/s (and maybe a pedestrian.)

Serious question: does MT not have vehicle inspection? If they do wtf are they looking for?

Serious question: does MT not have vehicle inspection? If they do wtf are they looking for?
    Most of the country doesn't have it. Maybe for someone moving in from out of state.

Oregon only requires emissions tests in certain municipalities with air quality concerns (IE- Portland metro area).

Edit- Montana doesn't do emission testing, vehicle inspections or VIN inspections.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

I love everything about this.

Classy. As. Fuck.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Tipp this thing is totally safe.

In Montana you can drive ATV's and two stroke dirtbikes on the street.

I have working lights (front and rear) and you can use your hands as turn signals. I may or may not have a horn, but I would need that, and I would need a right rear view mirror if I have to get an inspection.

I dont think I need seatbelts as long as I remove them....

Because the car currently has no title I have to apply for a bonded title, which means that I need a stage one VIN inspection... I dont really know what that means, but I have a feeling I need to rig up a horn.

My area sucks because they have safety standards for 3000+lb vehicles that can go 70mph?
    C'mon. This thing certainly does not weigh 3000lb, and I highly doubt it can go 70mph.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    C'mon. This thing certainly does not weigh 3000lb, and I highly doubt it can go 70mph.
    i will post an instagram video once I get it over 70. I had it up to 60 with that screaming grinding noise to try to drown it out. Wheel bearings are loud too. Its a bouncy ride. I havent gotten it into 5th gear yet. I dont know if it will do good burnouts, but I dont want to buy new tires really. There was a small fire started on the flatbed that melted a little bit of the interior sidewall of the left rear tire when I got home because the bed was too wide.

More backstory. Kid I bought it from is awesome. I got it home on the jackstands and there was no rear left shock absorber. I called him up and he said that he had one, he just ran out of bolts to install it, so he put a block of wood between the frame and the axle and taped it all together.

All the bolts were hand tight under the car (aside from the lug nuts), and the car ran out of gas 100 feet from my house. Its currently running on like 2 gallons of really old VP 110 octane race gas because thats all I had kicking around.
    Last edited by single; 06-01-2015 at 08:51 PM.

most states don't have vehicle inspections. We have emissions here on the front range, and VIN inspections for cars brought in from out of state. But nobody gives a fuck if your brake lights don't work, or even if you have brake lights, at least not to register the vehicle.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

So much win.
    Hope you're having as much fun with that diffeq

I've really lost motivation in that class. Needed to add an extra year so I dont burn out.

Is chopping the top expensive? How does cutting glass work? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    most states don't have vehicle inspections.
    Thank god. Vehicle inspections are mostly just a revenue stream, plus we would miss out on vehicular mastery such as this if they existed everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    Is chopping the top expensive?
    I assume you can operate a sawzall?

How does cutting glass work?
    No idea. Why do you need glass?

I eagerly anticipate the video of this rattrap going 70. You should definitely chop the top, it'll make it there easier with the weight reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I assume you can operate a sawzall?

No idea. Why do you need glass?

I eagerly anticipate the video of this rattrap going 70. You should definitely chop the top, it'll make it there easier with the weight reduction.

More backstory. Kid I bought it from is awesome. I got it home on the jackstands and there was no rear left shock absorber. I called him up and he said that he had one, he just ran out of bolts to install it, so he put a block of wood between the frame and the axle and taped it all together.
    This kid is going places. America needs more like him.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    This kid is going places. America needs more like him.
    There's no fewer than two entire states of people like this kid that come to mind (KY, WV). A quick jaunt through either will show you what real automotive engineering looks like.

Cool stuff Single, looking forward to another good thread.
    I still call it The Jake.

kid was from oregon, which shouldn't be too far back on that list Bmills.

About to close on this rig but wont be able to pick it up until July, so gonna get the registration on rusty sorted out this week so I have something to get around in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    hard to tell from the angle, but I think it's actually cedar fence boards. Plywood would be posh in comparison.
    Upon closer look, I think you are correct.

That mid-80's yoda looks tight tho, at least the body from the drivers side.