Thread: Appendectomy?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Appendectomy?

Whose had one? Looks like my past 18 months of pain and crazy chemo meds and shit not helping may he chronic appendicitis and not Crohn's disease after all.

Going under the knife on 6/9. Laproscopic. 4-6 weeks of no heavy lifting. What about mountain biking? How quick was your recovery. Knolly let this hack be on their grassroots team and I got racing to do this summer.

I had lapriscopy after mine ruptured and my heartfelt advice is that it's a lot better not to wait. After I got out of intensive care and off morphine I was on the bench for something like 3-4 weeks, so your 4-6 week advice is probably kind of conservative, which is fine. So get it done, and count on at least 3-4 weeks until the incisions heal, but lapriscopic is the way to go as far as lower impact.

Yeah, should be day surgery but no lifting over 10 pounds for 3 weeks. Take it easy for 4-6. You don't want a hernia.

Killing it with the 4-5 year old crowd!
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

^Usually it takes some kind of high-altitude TR to make me feel like a pussy, but that did it.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

I recovered real fast but that's probably because I was only 17 when mine was removed. When I woke up in post-op, though, the first thing that happened was I started puking and I assure you that throwing up with a fresh incision in my gut wall was one of the most painful experiences I've ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Um wow. Brings new meaning to the term "gut check"
    And you know the Rangers were aiming for the incisions.

Checking in!

I don't know if surgery is in my future, as I just had the CT scan but all the signs and symptoms are there. Had acute pain in lower right Abdominal, guarding and terrible chills, not terribly painful yet; I'm Just hoping my aversion to pain got me to the hospital early enough. Name:  20201223_110110.jpeg
Views: 1525
Size:  79.9 KB

Eta: they're not seeing anything unusual on ct scan n or blood/ urine work, But sign and symptoms are present.

Sent from my SM-N986U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Last edited by My Pet Powder Goat; 12-23-2020 at 11:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Classic appendicitis:--generalized abdominal pain, then vomiting but not profuse, THEN pain in the right lower quadrant, fever in the 100's, maybe 101's. Elevated WBC but not super high. Tenderness and guarding in the right lower quadrant. Chills not usually part of the picture. Of course not everyone fits the classic picture. And if the appendix ruptures or forms an abscess things change. Obviously I have no idea if you have appendicitis. So how are you doing this evening?

They plucked it out laproscopically and I'm already home wolfing down fettuccine alfredo and playing hide and seek with the kid.

get paid

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    They plucked it out laproscopically and I'm already home wolfing down fettuccine alfredo and playing hide and seek with the kid.

So they did it despite a negative CT--good for them. Did they tell you if was inflamed?
    Before scans we used to say that 15% of your appendectomies should find a normal appendix, otherwise you were likely missing some inflamed ones until they ruptured. I don't know what the figures are in the CT/US era.
    There's a classic book--Diagnosis of the Acute Abdomen, by Zachary Cope, that describes diagnosing appendicitis and other abdominal emergencies in an era when the initial diagnosis was made during a house call--no xrays, no labs. I hope surgeons in training are still reading it.

That's about what they the chief surgeon said. They said I'm healthy and youngish and it's good to remove it in case. They also mentioned a antibiotic regiment which has become more popular excpecially in Europe, But there's a recurrence rate of up to 30% in a year and I didn't want to go the next week or two, during the holidays, in that kind of discomfort for something that may not work.

I didn't get to talk to the surgeon after about the condition of the appendix but the nurse alluded to it being inflamed. I'll know more on my post op visit.

hate losing an organ to 2020 but glad I didn't wait, I credit my gf for being proactive to get me to the hospital and my memories of my stepfather who almost died from a fully burst appendix and I'll never forget his weeks in the hospital with a open wound in his stomach as he slowly recovered.

And thanks for taking the time to respond, goat. Always appreciate it

get paid

Two goats are better than one? Obviously.

Our pathologists always seemed to be able to find a little inflammation in the most normal looking appendices.

The pain is gone so I think they removed the offending appendage. Doctors thought perhaps due to either my natural anatomy or a childhood surgery I had that my appendix may have been rubbing on my abdominal wall and the irritation tipped me off to the early inflammation. Just a hypothesis until my follow-up.

get paid

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    The pain is gone so I think they removed the offending appendage. Doctors thought perhaps due to either my natural anatomy or a childhood surgery I had that my appendix may have been rubbing on my abdominal wall and the irritation tipped me off to the early inflammation. Just a hypothesis until my follow-up.

Either way, they did the right thing. Glad you're feeling better in time for Xmas.
    Glad you went to the hospital promptly. Between the covid and xmas on the way it would have been easy for you to stay home and see if it got better. (BTW--when an appendix ruptures the pain sometimes goes away--temporarily.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    ... (BTW--when an appendix ruptures the pain sometimes goes away--temporarily.)
    Yeah, that hiatus led me down the wrong path. “Hey, I feel better!” Oops.

Was on a bike ride Sat afternoon and had a bit of abdominal pain while chomping a clif bar.
    12 hours later I was rushed to the emergency room with some of my worst pain ever.
    Catscan revealed it was the appendix, it didn't look ruptured by turned out it was.
    Morpine was doing nothing for me while they waited for the surgeon and team to show up early Sun AM.
    Dilaudid knocked the pain back to about a 3 or 4 but when it wore off, it's so heavy duty they were restricted from giving me another dosage within that time period. Pain spiked to about a 9! That was brutal!!!
    Fianlly got outta the hospital Wed evening against the Doc's best advice and chilling down at sea level now since low oxygen levels were a concern.
    For something i was obviously ignorant about and considered innocuous, this has knocked me back hard!
    I guess a 60 yearl old appendix has seen some abuse.....
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Ouch, glad you are on the mend.
    watch out for snakes