Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FIFA Follys

FIFA Follys

About time something was done, athough Blatter is seemingly untouchable.

officials-arrested
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Betcha Sepp gets re-elected on Friday regardless.

Wait, you thought the entertainment business was clean?

Next stop, IOC.

Two countries that are investigating and arresting people suck at soccer.

Glad this FINALLY happened. Now give us the damn 2022 WC! I'm sorry, but a country the geographical size of Connecticut, YES Connecticut with like 800,000 citizens should not be hosting. I don't care how much $$$ they have.

How has Sepp managed to criminally steer clear of this nonsense?

I'm kind of surprised that the US can prosecute these guys, but glad someone can.

I bet Sepp does get re-elected

Here's the indictment press release with links:
    http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/nine-f...conspiracy-and

It explains how we can go after them. I haven't read through the indictment itself, but I suspect it's quite damning in order for the Swiss to act so decisively.

Also, Swiss AG raided FIFA HQ to open a separate investigation into the 2018 and 2022 bid votes:
    https://www.admin.ch/gov/en/start/do...-id-57391.html

Highly amused at the karmic justice soon to be served.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    I'm kind of surprised that the US can prosecute these guys, but..... can't get anyone on Wall Street or from the too big to fail banks
    Fixed it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I'm sorry, but a country the geographical size of Connecticut, YES Connecticut with like 800,000 citizens should not be hosting. I don't care how much $$$ they have.
    The stands at world cup games I watched from Brazil were typically half full. Why does population or location of the venue even matter? It's a television event.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Here's the indictment press release with links:
    http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/nine-f...conspiracy-and

It explains how we can go after them. I haven't read through the indictment itself, but I suspect it's quite damning in order for the Swiss to act so decisively.

Also, Swiss AG raided FIFA HQ to open a separate investigation into the 2018 and 2022 bid votes:
    https://www.admin.ch/gov/en/start/do...-id-57391.html

Highly amused at the karmic justice soon to be served.
    Anyone read that and has a Cliff's notes summary? I don't have the time to right now, but was wondering when I heard this, how can a US investigation lead to arrests in Switzerland? I thought there was no extradition treaty with the Swiss and US, isn't that how that diddler movie director gets to hole up over there without being shipped back to the US to face charges?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Anyone read that and has a Cliff's notes summary? I don't have the time to right now, but was wondering when I heard this, how can a US investigation lead to arrests in Switzerland? I thought there was no extradition treaty with the Swiss and US, isn't that how that diddler movie director gets to hole up over there without being shipped back to the US to face charges?
    Swiss court overturned Polanski arrest and extradition to US because of misconduct of trial court/judge in US and evidence that prosecutor there had done a deal for a sentence that Polanski had already served.

Extradition doesn't mean you just get put on a plane, no questions asked. That's rendition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Swiss court overturned Polanski arrest and extradition to US because of misconduct of trial court/judge in US and evidence that prosecutor there had done a deal for a sentence that Polanski had already served.

Extradition doesn't mean you just get put on a plane, no questions asked. That's rendition.
    Sounds good, I don't know any details about the Polanski situation, just that he occasionally pops up in the news as not coming back to America anytime soon.

We have an extradition treaty with the Swiss, just not for many tax crimes. U.S. courts have jurisdiction over a lot of stuff if it has a connection to the U.S. and is a breach of U.S. law. In this case, that's what happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    We have an extradition treaty with the Swiss, just not for many tax crimes. U.S. courts have jurisdiction over a lot of stuff if it has a connection to the U.S. and is a breach of U.S. law. In this case, that's what happened.
    Thanks. Pretty interesting story - I'll be curious to see if anything really changes.

And yeah, IOC should be next. See:Sochi

Glad this FINALLY happened. Now give us the damn 2022 WC! I'm sorry, but a country the geographical size of Connecticut, YES Connecticut with like 800,000 citizens should not be hosting. I don't care how much $$$ they have.

I'm kind of surprised that the US can prosecute these guys, but glad someone can.

He, obviously, knows too much. Has major shit on rich Americans. Like, you know, Nike. And others.

And let's not dis Ct..

I just want to post in this important thread and say that the US does not have any business hosting a WC. I think it should be in 3rd world Futball playing countries only. Your 12 YO's weekend league doesnt count for shit.

Only sports that REAL AMERICANS* watch please

*racecar lovin' wideloads

This stat really makes the immorality of all this shine.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/chart-t...ing-1707286095

That ^^ is just insane.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

In case you missed this last year:

Reporter this am was saying that the reason the president of FIFA won't go down as a result of this is that he isn't directly connected to taking bribes. However he allows the rest of the organization to be extremely corrupt. Sounds like he took a page from Hannibal, Jenghis Khan, etc where the leader gets all the power but gives the gold to his underlings.

Fuck Qatar. I couldn't imagine playing 90+ minutes in that heat...dry or not. Give us the cup!!! (to host it...obviously not to actually win it)
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

Yes-We are with out a doubt the pillar of fair and scandal free sporting. Thank god for US.

I'm kind of surprised that the US can prosecute these guys
    RICO charges based on predicate offenses of wire fraud in U.S., money laundering via U.S. federally insured banks, obstruction of justice re U.S. fed authorities, etc.