Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Shit, that reminds me, my pals are in a tight spot and need a last minute full-time guide for this summer. Mostly boats. Housing provided. In WY, not Jackson. More south.

Anyone interested? Got a friend that might be? Dipshits and rookies need not apply. PM me for details and I'll put you in touch.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    Guides are assholes.
    youre my favorite asshole
    only cause you bringith the stoke and don't need to use the community to proform gear for profit
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Breaking into Guiding In Bozeman

Quick update for anyone who is still curious:

Bought an 05 4Runner, a late 90's Clacka, and am waiting on the outfitter of a prominent shop here in Bozeman to have the time to do a quick float with me. Was supposed to happen last Thursday, but his life got a bit crazy with a family emergency.

So far I've spent everyday but yesterday, taking random friends out fishing. Had two friends fly up from Denver and floated, fished, and camped, our way down the Upper. Lyons to Town over two and a half days.

I haven't made a single dollar yet, but I feel like this is the best thing I've done for myself in a long time!
    Last edited by Boom Heir; 06-18-2015 at 05:39 PM.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Way to go in full tilt. Good luck man, hope it is everything you were looking for.

I was approached by a few shops when I lived in Bozeman, wanting me to guide. I liked to fish to much though and declined.

When you get your rowing skills evaluated, pay extra attention to the positioning of the rear angler. The advanced rowing skill that an experienced guide is looking for is your crab stroke (also referred to as a crawl stroke, cheating or sculling). i.e. How well you run parallel to the bank without having to "pivot and pull". In other words, its all about keeping the rear angler at a consistent distance from the bank without altering his casting angle. Easy enough to do until you get a fat guy in the back seat on a windy day. In fact, if you really want good practice for what you'll encounter as a guide, keep a heavier friend in the back seat all day and practice rowing severely off-balance. That will let you know what it's like to spend a day with a 300lb guy in the back and his 100-150lb teenager or wife up front. Add some stiff winds....good times. You probably shouldn't tell the potential tipper he's too fat to be the tail gunner and he's ruining your boat's handling. Don't forget to tie every knot for your friends, gink every fly, untangle every bird's nest...just pretend they don't know how to do anything right or if they do, they spend too much valuable fishing time doing it. You will have plenty of days like that. Anyhow, back to rowing - most casual drift boat owners don't even know how to crab, let alone do it well. It's not a very powerful stroke to begin with so using it requires anticipating where you need to be before you need to be there. Proficiency with crabbing is what separates the pros from the sports. Really skilled guides make rowing seem fairly effortless and you don't notice things like boat positioning. Sports and amateur guides pivot and pull. One cast its 25ft, the next you are out 40ft and at a different angle. Pivoting while casting will have your sports crossing casting angles and you untangling and rigging instead of catching fish.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 06-17-2015 at 11:13 AM.

That's really solid advice.

indeed, only been in a boat a couple times....and most always in the rear seat, it is the little things that make for an enjoyable smooth day.

good luck with that dream chasing.

Hopefully you've been getting plenty of "practice" in lately. You'd be hard up to NOT find great fishing lately

For anyone who is still paying attention, I was licensed this week and once all my paperwork is in order I'll start guiding.

It did not happen all that quickly, probably because I'm trying to get into in the middle of the season, but it is possible.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and the tips. Most of them were extremely helpful.

Now... If anyone wants to send people my way, shoot me a PM and we can make that happen.

Good work! Enjoy the rest of the season on the water!

Grats, where you working out of and on what rivers?

Like they said congrats. Not a small feat getting your foot in the door in this town. Now comes the real work of developing good relationships and return clients/friends. Tough first year with such early hoot owl round here as well. You don't happen to be coming back from AK with a fresh captain license do ya?

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Grats, where you working out of and on what rivers?
    I'm working primarily for Troutfitters on the Yellowstone. That being said, I've got my name in with other shops on various rivers around the state.