Big Bike Back East: Discuss

Moving to Boston for a two-year term in July, wondering if I should take my coil-sprung 8" Canfield One out east, or leave it back in CO for vacation visits. I'll be taking a 29er hard tail either way.

Discuss.
    No, the real point is, I don't give a damn
    - Carl

Yes...highland is 1.5 hrs and if it's your thing there's a pretty big dh race scene in the northeast...look at the eastern states cup website. I'll also be moving to Boston this summer and probably doing some weekend trips to highland and looking for people to split gas with
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

I split time between Boston and Denver and feel there is more need for suspension out here vs. Colorado, but don't really do any gravity riding. Where are you living in Boston?
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Bring the 8". Highland, Killington, Okemo, Sunday River, Mt. Snow, Attitash are all w/in 2.5 hours and all are sweet. Highland is in a class by itself and that is the closest of all to Boston. Totally worth it.

Mountain Creek isn't too bad of a haul. Snowshoe is a terrible haul, but worth mentioning.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Windham and Plattekill (especially) would make a nice weekend. The Catskills rule in summer.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Berkshire East is also running a dh park this year. That should only be about 90 minutes, maybe less. One has to wonder though, do you really want to spend all this time and money travelling to places appropriate for a big bike or are you going to do most of your riding closer to home.

Thanks guys, sounds like I'll be bringing the Canfield.

Rontele - Not exactly sure where the place is, but my wife found an apartment we should hopefully be able to lock down in South End.
    No, the real point is, I don't give a damn
    - Carl

Hey ml242, do you do the Tour of the Catskills?

Sorry for the thread drift G4N, he is right though, the Catskills are pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Berkshire East is also running a dh park this year. That should only be about 90 minutes, maybe less. One has to wonder though, do you really want to spend all this time and money travelling to places appropriate for a big bike or are you going to do most of your riding closer to home.
    Berkshire opens July 1st. I can confirm it will be awesome.

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    I live in Cambridge and ride all over NE. If you ever want a ride up to Highland let me know. PM me if you want some beta on Boston riding or just general city stuff. I went to college here and moved back in 2013.

I'm building trails in Windham and there frigin awesome! The new bike park is so rad

Quote Originally Posted by nugget136 View Post
    I'm building trails in Windham and there frigin awesome! The new bike park is so rad
    Post some pics.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    Berkshire opens July 1st. I can confirm it will be awesome.
    You one of the guys working on the trails? May have met you on Saturday. I'll second that confirmation that it's going to be really fun there.

You will find either bike amusing in the Blue Hills (South) or the Middlsex Fells (North). Probably using the hardtail except for some projects. The Breat Brook Farm State Park is at the center of a large area of mostly X-C trails, with plenty of variability and some constructed stuff too. That's West.

East is way too wet for riding
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well