Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Travel Trailer Recs

Since I got this new baby and my wifey isn't too keen on tent sleeping with a newborn I'm looking for a travel trailer

I already tried searching but nothing came up specific to travel trailers.

Looking for:

Under 5,000 lbs fully loaded
    14-18ft
    Sleeps 3-4
    Around 15k new or used

So far looking at

Jayco Jay Flight
    Gulf Stream Amerilite
    Starcraft Rvs AR One
    Forrest River R-pod. (Really like this but over budget)

If anyone has any experience with these or knowledge would be appreciated. I don't know shit about RV's.

Thanks

Not enough info. Way to many trailers fit in that budget.
    4 season? 3? Slide? Ac? Wet or dry bath? Porta pottie? Hard wall, tent wall, hybrid?
    Anything with a bed and a dinette will sleep 2 adults and 2 kids.
    My recommendation is to set a lower budget, look for a 5-8 yr old trailer that fits what you think your needs are. Go over it with a fine tooth comb looking for any hints of water leaks. If everything works and there has been no leaks, try it out for the summer, and find out what you really want in a trailer. Then spend the fall looking for the right one. I guarantee your not gonna get the right one first time out if you don't know shit about Rvs.
    You need seat time with one to figure it out. If you get a decent one in decent shape, you'll be able to sell it next year for about what you paid for it.
    I've had a few trailers and have looked at a ton over the years. Most are very cheaply made and require effort on the owners part to keep it together for years. If it has lasted 5-8 yrs and is in good shape, odds are it is a decent model, if its its shit, you'll know it by then. All the brands you meantioned are comparable quality wise, the "feel of it" and the layout is what matters more then gadgets and features.
    Do not buy new for trailer number one, you'll regret it and loose a ton of money on it the first year.
    I personally have always had Bigfoot trailers, but you may not need or want the capability or build quality.
    Man, It was great...

Thanks. Good info to consider

4 season if affordable but okay with 3

Hard wall or the folding hard walls like the Chalet or A frames

Slide outs would be nice but not required.

Regular rv toilet

Ac and heat

I will start looking at more used options. Thanks again

Moisture/water/condensation is the trailer killer. Definitely don't get a flat roof(most have a bit of a slope now). I'm a strong believer in the 2piece fiberglass models(Bigfoot , northern lite). I'm looking at "escape" trailers now. Made in chilliwack BC. Similar construction to the Bigfoot but a lot better price. 19ft has tandem axle and 2800 lbs I think. Winterized option. Friends bought the 17ft from them. It was a used trade in. Great deal. They have only one seam in the middle as opposed to having seams at every corner and around your roof. Stronger, better seal, better insulation from cold or heat and sound and lighter. I was looking at the 19ft for the tandem axle but I think I'll look for a 15ft on trade in. That's all ill need

We were in the same situation. We've been renting both pop-up trailers and travel trailers from a local rental shop.

I'm told our kids will be spoiled and won't want to go tent camping when they are older.

I look at it as, we aren't paying to use the trailer, we're paying to make it go away when we are done with it.
    Last edited by This End Up; 05-28-2015 at 08:27 PM.

Living lite aluminum trailers looked interesting, not likely to rust/rot, but I don't know if the can be winterized or if they are available used.

http://www.livinlite.com/camplite-overview.php

Talk to your friends and neighbors who have RVs and trailers, ask them what they like and what you would change about what they own. Look around at RV dealers or shows and examine the "quality" of the construction (it is mostly shit). Buy used, these things depreciate massively - but be careful of water damage, as mentioned above.

Couple other things : what are you planning to use as a tow vehicle? Keep in mind that the quoted weights on trailers are all lies. Expect your true weight to be much higher, like 500-1000# more. (water, batteries, propane, food, supplies, general camping crap that you will haul with).

Where do you plan on camping with this thing? If in rough terrain, backroads, forest service two-track, think about ground clearance, width, and height. If in designated campgrounds, think about length restrictions at the sites.

Do you plan on living in the trailer when using it, or living next to it? I. E. do you plan on hanging out inside (so you want a larger one) Or plan on only going in to cook, clean, and sleep (so a smaller one)?

Tons of variables. You won't make the right choice for you on your first purchase, because you just won't know enough. So buy used, buy cheap, and sell it again in a couple years when you've figured out what your criteria are.

Mrs. C. and I went through all this with two tent trailers, and now have a truck camper,which fits our needs perfectly. I didn't consider them at all when we first looked at RV/ trailers.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I have an rpod 172 which works great for my family, pm'd ya.

Just remember towing trailers sucks. It is not too bad at first, but gets old, especially if you have to tow in windy areas.

I highly recommend something that has a dinette, but also a second seating area (ours had a couch/fold out bed.) It really comes in handy in marginally weather. It gets old real fast having to seat in the dinette. Ours was not a winter rig, but we used it a lot in winter, you just learn to adapt. (East side Sierra, so not too cold.) 20-22' seems to be the seat spot, shorter is too crowded, long is a PITA to tow and park/back up.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by zlatham View Post
    I have an rpod 172 which works great for my family, pm'd ya.
    Sweet. Thanks. Checking those out this wknd

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Talk to your friends and neighbors who have RVs and trailers, ask them what they like and what you would change about what they own. Look around at RV dealers or shows and examine the "quality" of the construction (it is mostly shit). Buy used, these things depreciate massively - but be careful of water damage, as mentioned above.

Couple other things : what are you planning to use as a tow vehicle? Keep in mind that the quoted weights on trailers are all lies. Expect your true weight to be much higher, like 500-1000# more. (water, batteries, propane, food, supplies, general camping crap that you will haul with).

Where do you plan on camping with this thing? If in rough terrain, backroads, forest service two-track, think about ground clearance, width, and height. If in designated campgrounds, think about length restrictions at the sites.

Do you plan on living in the trailer when using it, or living next to it? I. E. do you plan on hanging out inside (so you want a larger one) Or plan on only going in to cook, clean, and sleep (so a smaller one)?

Tons of variables. You won't make the right choice for you on your first purchase, because you just won't know enough. So buy used, buy cheap, and sell it again in a couple years when you've figured out what your criteria are.

Mrs. C. and I went through all this with two tent trailers, and now have a truck camper,which fits our needs perfectly. I didn't consider them at all when we first looked at RV/ trailers.
    All good things to think about.

I need a light one and will just use it for sleeping and hangout in bad weather. We like hanging outside by the fire and cooking with wood.

py thing is tow vehicle would be a highlander that max tow capacity is 5k. Pacific Northwest so will be doing mountain passes a bit. Will mostly be camping in campgrounds.

Thanks for the input.

Don't expect to tow anywhere near 5000# with a Highlander and expect good results, especially with mountain passes involved. I'd be skeptical that the transmission would hold out for long with that too.

Are those r pod trailers super light? Like 2000-3000#, loaded, real weight? IMHO that's the range you're going to want to find, if at all possible.

Maybe try renting something first, see what happens on a test trip.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Don't expect to tow anywhere near 5000# with a Highlander and expect good results, especially with mountain passes involved. I'd be skeptical that the transmission would hold out for long with that too.

Are those r pod trailers super light? Like 2000-3000#, loaded, real weight? IMHO that's the range you're going to want to find, if at all possible.

Maybe try renting something first, see what happens on a test trip.
    Yea this is my main concern.

I'm looking in the 14-17ft range of super light options. Many have a dry weight of 2300lbs give or take so add in wet weight of another 1,000. I need to be under 3500lbs total fully loaded. And I know I'll be the douche going 40 over the pass (in the right lane) unfortunately.

I think you're on the right track, especially with paying careful attention to weight. In that size trailer, if you need to sleep more people in it, take a look at the "hybrid" ones - - hard wall trailers with one or two fold out bunks (like tent trailer ends, but much easier to deploy or store). These would be cold for winter use, but give lots of space and nice ventilation in summer.

You won't be happy towing a 5K trailer with a Highlander. More importantly, you're wife won't be happy the first time a gust of wind gives the trailer a push. With a baby, a tent trailer is in your future. Get an older trailer with good canvas and be happy. Most have room for a porta-potty and ice chest which is all you need. A lot of the newer tent trailers are heavy so stay away from those.

Keep in mind that your "tow weight" includes your passengers and all the stuff in your vehicle. 1,000# in the trailer is a fair estimate for gear, water, food & beer. It adds up fast.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

What are people's opinion of Artic Fox trailers, made in LaGrande OR ?
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

No love for Airstreams? I'm afraid my wife is dead set on one.

Love arctic fox and airstream but no chance I can afford those and they aren't lightweight enough to tow with a SUV

Someday

Airstreams are nice...but spendy...about tripple OP's budget. We got a 1960 19' bambi for free and remodeled the entire thing....its great and lightweight

Seriously considering the Rpod 178. Went out and looked at them and they are pretty nice.

http://youtu.be/TmkseNi700M

Only 1-2k above budget but may be worth it. And it would fit in my driveway.

$2500 over budget*. You're gonna want that True Coat.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    $2500 over budget*. You're gonna want that True Coat.
    Gary said he'd throw in the True Coat at no cost, doing me a solid for the business. He's cool.

Travel Trailer Recs

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Seriously considering the Rpod 178. Went out and looked at them and they are pretty nice.

http://youtu.be/TmkseNi700M

Only 1-2k above budget but may be worth it. And it would fit in my driveway.
    I highly recommend you do not buy a new unit for your first trailer. If you like that model of trailer, look for a used one first. Make sure it has not leaked and had any major issues. If they are easy to find then good, if they are all trashed, then you saved yourself a bundle. The second you take that thing off the lot, you have lost 40-50% of the price off of msrp. That's a big gamble for your first trailer. If you do decide to go new ( I don't know why you would unless you are fascinated with new shiny things and like throwing money away) you cannot pay any more then 30% off of the msrp. You are just leaving a ton of money on the table if you do. Just don't do it, they are so overvalued when new.
    Side story, I had a friend that managed a service department for an Rv dealer, the service shop always ran at a loss because the dealer made their money on the sale, not the service. Totally opposite of the car industry.
    And I don't care for the true coat...
    Man, It was great...

Towing with a Highlander you might want to stick with a tent trailer, and a small one at that.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot