Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Small Raft Recs

Small Raft Recs

So I'm looking for a small 2 person raft with a fishing frame/casting platform up front. I like Scadden's configuration but know his quality is a joke.

Anyone have any recs for a small raft and matching frame that won't set me back a ton. Want to be able to hand launch it on some smaller waters without improved launches.

Was kind of thinking something like this http://rockymountainrafts.com/10.5_storm.html and seeing how much to have one of these built http://montanaraftframes.com/

Not going to run anything crazy with the frame, might R2 it during run off.

Any recs on something I can build for like 2500$?

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

AIRE Puma is the gold standard for small rafts. I've watched the local outfitters put Superpuma rafts through some serious abuse (pretty much bordering on negligence) on the slides. How in the world does RMR make a raft as tough as the puma series for half the price of the AIRE and still turn a profit? Anyhows, if you want to drag boats down the side of a mountain, the puma series seems to be the way to go. They slide real nice. I've dragged a full size 3 man cat down the Grandview slide and that sure was a sucky way to start the day. Whatever you get, it should be tough enough for the slides because you will want to do the Gulch. I've been told that Hypalon is not suitable for the slides.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 05-23-2015 at 09:17 AM.

Cant speak to their smaller boats but my Aire 143R is still in great shape after 16 years and three owners. My experience in inflatables is you will get what you pay for.

For really small water, check out the Flycraft. It's only 98lbs and doesn't need a trailer.

Puma.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Rowed plenty of Pumas/Supers, like em a lot. I've abused some bigger RMR boats on the Middle Fork American. They super heavy duty, down right heavy in the bigger sizes, but about the same weight as the mini max it looks like in that size. Super bomber.

Talked to some CO outfitters as well as MT raft frames and there's quite a few RMR's floating around as fishing rigs for what I'm looking for. Looks like I should be able to build a better Scadden for about the same price.

Last edited by Underoos; 05-25-2015 at 08:40 AM.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    fondled those flycrafts at a few trade shows seem burl
    fished out of the fugitives 2 man fish cat a few times the toons and an open floor are nice to be able to flinstone in skinny water
    no idea of price
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

here is a sweet looking frame. I knew a guy who bought a frame from these guys, said they are great to work with, if you pick up you have to pay just state tax.

http://riverboatworks.com/blue-wing-olive/

I second the mighty max, at least as super fun and light. I have paddled one; with thwarts as a paddle boat alot and they are fun and you dont even need at trailer, l put it in the back of my truck, I have heard of people just setting it on the roof rack of their suby, fully riged with the 2 man fishing frame.

I talked to the guys at river boat works about putting a 3 man frame on the 10.5' mighty max, he says that it's a bad idea cause the man in the back will have 13" and the weight of the guy in back would make it shit to row.
    believe me its real.

Ron at Riverboat works is a solid fella. Knows what he's doin too.

Update, while at IFTD I bumped into this from my friends at Outcast. Gave them my CC on the spot and will have the first one to arrive this fall. Pretty rad set up they're coming out with, dirt cheap compared to most other options, and way sturdier in bigger water that the Flycraft.

Congrats on the new raft...will be interested to get your thoughts on how rigid the towers are.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Update, while at IFTD I bumped into this from my friends at Outcast. Gave them my CC on the spot and will have the first one to arrive this fall. Pretty rad set up they're coming out with, dirt cheap compared to most other options, and way sturdier in bigger water that the Flycraft.
    Cool looking rig!

Doesn't look big enough for my net.

Bump.
    Anyone had anymore experience with those Flycraft rigs? Seems like a good fit for my current situation and what I'm looking for.

Direct comparison

Quote Originally Posted by stapes View Post
    Bump.
    Anyone had anymore experience with those Flycraft rigs? Seems like a good fit for my current situation and what I'm looking for.
    I've spent a bunch of days fishing and rowing both the Flycraft and the striker. I would put my money on the striker. While both boats are cool, the striker rows better, is more stable and the weights is nearly the same. I will admit the FC looks cooler but looks don't catch fish. The knee brace on the striker is removable if you're concerned about the chucky cheese bounce room.
    Harvest the ride.

I've never fished the fly craft, but have spent a bunch of time being guided in an NRS with a fishing frame. I've been thinking about getting raft as well and asked if the guide if he had any experiences with the fly craft. He said the gunnels were low, and it didn't have a ton of space for any real storage and felt a bit cramped. Take it for what its worth..

Quote Originally Posted by Sagamoron View Post
    I've never fished the fly craft, but have spent a bunch of time being guided in an NRS with a fishing frame. I've been thinking about getting raft as well and asked if the guide if he had any experiences with the fly craft. He said the gunnels were low, and it didn't have a ton of space for any real storage and felt a bit cramped. Take it for what its worth..
    Add narrow and lacking self bailing floors as well. I'm really psyched on my Stryker, put a lot of days on it this season. Well worth the $.

Stapes, the Flycraft is not suitable for the Upper C or Lower Blue, which I'm sure are on your radar. One wrong wave and you're toast.

That's just one man's opinion.

Thanks for the input everyone. Kinda what I expected to hear.

Stryker looks sweet. For what it's worth I have an older PAC 14 with fishing frame (and trailer) and Scadden Dragonfly XT2. I am not a guide and don't probably don't drift 1/4 as much as some people on this forum so by no means have I put either of these through the ringer. The PAC 14 is solid but drives like an 18 wheeler and obviously requires a trailer. I wanted something I didn't have to trailer, I could stuff into the van to get to hard to reach places, could get thru skinny water, and was a little more nimble. I've used it probably 8 times but it does exactly what I want it to. Granted, the places I've taken this thing so far are pretty skinny and/or spring creeks but for portability it cannot be beat. It easily packs into the back of a Subaru and you can set up / tear down the entire thing including seats and anchor in about 15-20 min. We even shuttled it broken down in the trunk of my buddies Audi A6. With the rigid floor it's pretty responsive and can easily be walked up/down the bank, around fences, portages, etc. I doubt it will handle big water, but I've rowed it down glenshire and hirschdale sections of the truckee with no issue and my girlfriend can row it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	3.89 MB 
ID:	197773

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    fondled those flycrafts at a few trade shows seem burl
    fished out of the fugitives 2 man fish cat a few times the toons and an open floor are nice to be able to flinstone in skinny water
    no idea of price
    It's about 3K brand new and is made by Aire. When solo I pull the frame off put that in the bed of my truck then put the pontoons on top of it and strap it in. With a second person we keep it together and set it on the bed of my truck with the toon tips on the cab and strap it in that way. It's been in some solid class 3 plus and was more fun than scary.

I love it but it is getting too small for my needs. If anyone is looking it's for sale for 1500 or 1K if you live in Utah and let me use it from time to time to float the lower provo and look at BYU titties
    Last edited by TheFugitive; 01-20-2017 at 10:13 PM. Reason: cause I fucken suck at spelling
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    I love it but it is getting too small for my needs. If anyone is looking it's for sale for 1500 or 1K if you live in Utah and let me use it from time to time to float the lower provo and look at BYU titties
    Let me know if the price drops below $1K, I'll drive out for it. I've been wanting one of those boats.
    Buddy paid $600 for a used one. I know that's quite cheap, but I'm shopping for a deal like that.