Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

You Subaru Outback owners!

So I just bought a 2015. Love the car except, and it's a big except, the seats.

I have just learned after 90 minutes of driving I feel like I've been sitting in a metal folding chair.

Any of you other owners. WTF with these seats. Any tips on improvement? I'm gonna go get some sheep skin covers or maybe a gel cover this weekend. See what that does.

Agreed. I love everything about every subie I've owned EXCEPT those GD seats

Best bet is to drive hammered all the time so you don't notice
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Wait until you have to put a nice rack system on top of that thing. Whoops.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Wait until you have to put a nice rack system on top of that thing. Whoops.
    I put my ladies boobs in the car not on the roof.

Seriously. It's why I bought a Forester instead. That thing they put up there sucks.

Aftermarket seats, they ruined the roof rack years ago.
    watch out for snakes

I consider them a big upgrade from the bench seats in my Ford Ranger.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Wife and I are happy with our '14 so far. No complaints about the seats.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

I theorize that cars built in Japan often have shallower seat bottoms than other cars. I'm tall and like a deep seat cushion or enough adjustability to raise the front of the seat for full thigh support. When I got my land cruiser I couldn't get any thigh support with the way the seats were built and set up. Other cars built in sweden and the US both had seats that fit just fine. I ended up modifying the seat's front mounting bolts by raising them two inches using spacers and longer bolts. Solved the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I theorize that cars built in Japan often have shallower seat bottoms than other cars. I'm tall and like a deep seat cushion or enough adjustability to raise the front of the seat for full thigh support. When I got my land cruiser I couldn't get any thigh support with the way the seats were built and set up. Other cars built in sweden and the US both had seats that fit just fine. I ended up modifying the seat's front mounting bolts by raising them two inches using spacers and longer bolts. Solved the problem.
    Bingo! I just came out of leather seats in a Volvo. They were awesome. Now this.

Volvo seats to Subaru seats? Ooh, that's torture!

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Yeah it should be against the Geneva Convention !

Your body will adjust. I found it strange at first and was concerned with fatigue on long drives, but it turned out to be less an issue than I had in my head.

I'm a little over 6' and the Legacy limited, while being a small car, let's me get that low rear, high front, rockered seat feel with good lumbar support. Very comfy long range driver, though probably not for anyone 6'2" or above.

Best all time seat for me was a recaro bucket in an old 05 GLI Jetta.. Man that was a fun little car.

Yeah, I'm not a fan in general, but it's my wife's car and she likes it. I'm 6' and the whole cockpit area is not great for me. And yeah, the roof rack sucks balls.

Motor, traction, resale is all good though

My 03 Legacy has a decent bucket seat. It's no Merc, but I guess it's fine. I'm sure it's somehow Toyota's fault if the new ones are uncomfortable.
    How does it drive? Any better than the previous gen (10-14)?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Honestly, when we sold our 2000 Legacy wagon, the seats in the new car were so much better that I told myself I'd never buy a car without good seats again. The seat and seating position are one of the highest priorities when I pick a car.

Strange - I kind of like the seats in my '08. Drove it two days each way RT from the Bay Area to Crested Butte - no problem, and I've had lower back surgery so lumbar support is almost always an issue. The Outbacks got bigger and more SUV'ish starting in '10 (and yes, the roof racks were wrecked - they are fine in the '08 model). Maybe the seats were changed too?

Maybe my ass is just spoiled from Swedish pampered lovin!

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Yeah, that's harsh. I used to not mind Jap seats, but after owning 2 Cadillacs and now a Volvo, there is no way I could deal with the Outback seats. I've been supremely spoiled by having my backside perfectly cradled with that wonderfully supple, thick leather they use. Yup. There's no going back.

I mean no offense to the hoards of Subaru owners here, but I'm a bit surprised one would downgrade to an Outback after getting used to Swede seats. They may have their issues, but those guys absolutely nailed it when it comes to seating at least.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Yeah, that's harsh. I used to not mind Jap seats, but after owning 2 Cadillacs and now a Volvo, there is no way I could deal with the Outback seats. I've been supremely spoiled by having my backside perfectly cradled with that wonderfully supple, thick leather they use. Yup. There's no going back.

I mean no offense to the hoards of Subaru owners here, but I'm a bit surprised one would downgrade to an Outback after getting used to Swede seats. They may have their issues, but those guys absolutely nailed it when it comes to seating at least.
    Price

Quote Originally Posted by TruckeeLocal View Post
    You bought into the rugged, outdoorsy, but non-suv lifestyle vehicle. Comfy seats come with the luxury, ostentatious, image vehicle. Deal with it. Oh and the seats should "pack out" after a few seasons of use.
    True. Hated my Forester seat at first, but it got used to my big hairy ass eventually.

My Saab has the best seats ever. They were designed by Recaro and installed in only Aeros of a few years. Crazy comfortable. I was absolutely miserable in the Land Cruiser for anything longer than 20 minutes before the modification. Pics of mine linked below if you want to give it a whirl. I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, so it took me a while to get that I needed to fab the little metal tabs to make it work, but super easy. I got the idea whilst googling and ended up (I think) on a Prius forum where lots of people were super unhappy with the seats.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/what...1#post-9213962

You Subaru Outback owners!

http://www.boseride.com

Figure it out. Do it like the prose. Or don't. They can stay your foes.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

I like the seats in my 07 Outback just fine. Actually prefer them to Volvo seats. The wife hates them though.