Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    how does your hat stay on, when its that far back on your head?

Dreadlocks, man.

Do you ride the backcountry? If so, do you use a splitboard?

What is favorite big mountain area to ride? I'd like to know for planning future China-ski vacations.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    What is your local hill?

Where are the best places to ski in China?

Are there any affordable hippy mountain towns left?

Up in my home area in North Eastern China my local hills are Beidahu and Songhuahu. In Beijing that would be Nanshan.

The best places to ride - for me that's Xinjiang right now.

Hippy towns not so much as you maybe know these from the US or Canada, but Xinjiang in Western China has it s charms. Usually you stay in family homes and it's good fun to hang with the locals.

Quote Originally Posted by boarddad View Post
    Is holding the Winter Olympics in Beijing as bad of an idea as it looks?
    I'm sure it will put a lot of things to the test, but I'm positive it will have good aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyGroomer View Post
    Fireworks?

Chinese New Year

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Is your snowbored made in the USA?

No it's not. But I have some boards made in the USA

How far a drive is it from Beijing to the nearest riding? Where is the growth in the sport in China coming from - mostly people in Beijing? What do people see as "snowboarding" right now in China - pipe/park? Olympic stuff?

How and where did you learn to ride?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Is Snow beer watery piss like Budweiser?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    I'll open!!
    What's it like to be a pro snowboarder in a country that will run you over with a tank on international TV if you protest for free speech?
    What's your view on the genocide that has taken place in Tibet, and how do you help people like the Dali Lama when you are at events?
    Would you be willing to wear a Human Rights Watch international sticker on your board?
    Tienanmen 1988 was not on TV. And Tank Man was not actually run over - that's part of why the images are so powerful. Did you forget about the US's genocide and forced relocation of Native Americans? Slavery and Jim Crow? Do you ask Cody Townsend and Jeremy Jones what they do to speak out on those issues? In a country where speaking out costs you nothing, except some free publicity?
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Have you been up to Harbin for the Ice/Snow Sculpture Festival?

Yeah, Harbin is awesome.

Do you think you could ride any of the Features?

Not really. It's extremely cold there, so it's not so fun.

Would it be allowed?

No, unfortunately.

As you are a member of POW, do you ever wish that the Bicycle was still the main means of transport in The Middle Kingdom?

Sure thing. But a lot of people go back to riding bikes anyway. E Bikes are also a big hit in the cities.

Are there any Hottie Skier/'boarder chix in China that we should keep an eye out for?
    Definitely!! Keep an eye out on Boardzone(dot)cn ; )

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    How far a drive is it from Beijing to the nearest riding? Where is the growth in the sport in China coming from - mostly people in Beijing? What do people see as "snowboarding" right now in China - pipe/park? Olympic stuff?

There are many resorts in Beijing area, at least 7 or 8 you can reach within 1 hour. Better places are more far, like a 2 to 3 hour drive.

Snowboarding is growing everywhere!

A lot of people understand Freestyle, and the bigger part of the people just understand it as a lot of fun, a cool sport.
    Snowboarding changes peoples lives. They find themselves and not just the sport. Their mind opens up.

How and where did you learn to ride?
    I learned to ride by myself at Yabuli Resort in 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Will you be representing China at the Bobby Baker Invintational?
    Sounds like a fun idea!

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Is Snow beer watery piss like Budweiser?
    Not really. Snow Flake beer has many different flavours. I like it and drink it when going back to Dongbei (North Eastern China).

Ask me Anything: I'm Chinese Snowboard Wang Lei

Quote Originally Posted by WangLei View Post
    Sounds like a fun idea!
    Loads of fun and it's at Alpental
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=290313
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Are there any estimates or data regarding how many Chinese people ski/snowboard?

Is the central government investing resources in developing the sport?
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Mr Wang, would you drive a Hyundai Sonata?
    No, 80% of the cabs in Beijing are Hyundai Sonata cars.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Are there any estimates or data regarding how many Chinese people ski/snowboard?
    Official numbers talk a couple million, but it's hard to pinpoint.

Is the central government investing resources in developing the sport?
    Yes, with the Olympic bid going strong, there is a lot of focus on that at the moment.
    Last edited by WangLei; 05-22-2015 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    What in the fuck is the Chinese Downhill?
    Not that fast

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    How does being a pro rider in China differ from the US? Do you have to work other jobs, or are you relatively well-to-do?
    We started out late and there aren't many Chinese pro riders. A lot of guys now just learn a bunch of tricks and want to get sponsored. It took a long time to get where I am today and I used all my energy and time for that.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    A lot of foreigners have anger towards the US government, but they don't let misplaced anger let them ask dumb, uneducated, questions to athletes like you guys do.

He likes mountains and we like mountains; is that enough? We all can't be the guy standing in front of a tank. I'm not that guy, he's not that guy. Lighten up.
    I agree with you 100%, however I also believe that there are many problems in the world that don't get solved solely because we think we all can't be that guy standing in front of the tank. That man stood alone. No one else stood with him. What went through the minds of people who could of stood with him, but did not? The people there that had a chance to stand next to him but kept their distance were already risking their lives and safety to protest that government, yet the man in front of the tank stood alone.

We all could be the man in front of the tank. What we feel we cannot do, is spend out whole lives beating our heads against a brick wall accomplishing nothing, being dragged down by an awareness of the world's problems with no power to lessen them. This is what we fear when we think we cannot be the man in front of the tank, but these fears are only true because the are so widely held. The perception of futility of action has created the reality where action is futile.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    I'm really torn on this. The anger I feel towards their government shouldn't be focused towards their athletes. They are not responsible for the pollution or human rights violations. They could be an instrument for change, but if they attempted to be that instrument, I think they would be put in a small farming community and forced in to labor and poverty for the rest of their lives. Then I think about sponsorship money for their athletes, and how upset that I am that our companies go and chase the dollar in China because it is such a huge opportunity. Then I go to Walmart and buy some cheap shit made in China. I really am torn by all of this.
    Get you, man. It's a weird time we live in, that's for sure.

Wang, i'd love to see you at 16BBI @Alpental, Washington, USA next february.
    question? Mr. Wang, do you like thai food?
    thanks and i hope we can share a joint some day as friends,
    bobby

Sounds good man. I love spicy Thai Food! Let's go to Thailand, that's closer to me.

Mr Wang, do you know who Rodney Dangerfield is and have you ever played golf?
    I like golf but I'm not good at it. I saw Rodney Dangerfield in movies, yes. Funny guy.

Paradigm and stereotype both shattered.

I'll say what everyone that's read this far is thinking...

You've got a good head on your shoulders and a pure heart. And your English is better than most on the this board.

The force is strong with this one.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    Hey thanks for coming on. I'm wondering how you discovered snowboarding and Jeremy Jones. Were there any cool trips or moments in the mountains that inspired you to focus on snowboarding?? For me it was a trip through Salt Lake City to Seattle and being awestruck by the towering mountains. Endless opportunities for recreation and relaxation.

I was a ski jumper first. When I discovered snowboarding I felt freedom, and I'm keeping riding until today. To me, any time I go riding, it's special and beautiful. There are still so many places I haven't been to and I'm super motivated to check them out.

Also, how hard is it representing an organization like P.O.W. in a country with a tough political climate like China? So far the Chinese Government seems to have put more focused on developing and stabilizing their economy than reducing carbon emissions.
    The government is doing their thing, I'm trying to talk to my friends about POW and do what I can to contribute and raise awareness.