Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WTB: my first mtb bike

Super stoked after a multisporting weekend. Crashed a bunch, had to walk down some shit, got passed by girls, hit a tree. Good fun to be had out there.

Looking for something basic that will get me out on the WA trails. Can be a hardtail, FS, 29er. Whatever, something to get me out riding once skiing officially goes to shit.

I'm 5'10 160ish and hoping to keep it around $650 tops.

Thanks a ton,

Josh

Search pinkbike buy/sell forum near you. Lots of great deals on 26"FS bikes since people seem to think they aren't good anymore...silly.

you can also buy a new, 29er hardtail for $650 from your local store.... Not super light, but durable, and parts will be cheap when you crash and break stuff. Plus warranty, and dealer service.

When you say WA, do you mean like Grand Ridge trail and Winthrop style trails, or do you mean like Duthie Hill? For smooth stuff like Grand Ridge, any hard tail would be fine. Shredhead's option is OK, but again, if it's smooth stuff you're riding, a fat bike is overkill, and frankly silly considering all the climbing you'll do.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

cheapo 29er and a fatbike... wtf?

those are 3rd, 4th, or 5th in line for a mtb quiver...

for someone looking to thrash their first mtb, living in WA, and on a tight budget, i would look for a mid to late 00's 5x5ish bike, something like a trance, reign, enduro, pitch, etc

but really, more info needed, are you a kid trying to break yourself off, or a dentist trying to lose a beer gut?

Get a hardtail if you're just learning to MTB. Your skills will progress quicker than with a full squish bike. Plus its easier to setup and maintain.

^^^ This. I am riding my FS right now, and I want to be on my single speed hardtail, (at another location), because of just this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    you can also buy a new, 29er hardtail for $650 from your local store.... Not super light, but durable, and parts will be cheap when you crash and break stuff. Plus warranty, and dealer service.
    Support your LBS with an entry level purchase for reasons above with dealer service being key. Shop employees at a good or better shop will have a wealth of info regarding trails, purchases, and their hand-me-downs. Beer and weed go a long way with mechanics.

My local shop has two Scott $699 bikes (27.5 and 29) that they rent and sell...hydro brakes, lock-out fork, modern geometry, etc. But, if you can stretch your budget to $1200, the secondhand market is flooded with killer deals ie. 2012 Salsa Horsethief on CL last week, barely ridden for $1100. That is a lot of bike for cheap and plenty worthy of upgrading down the road. ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Get a hardtail if you're just learning to MTB. Your skills will progress quicker than with a full squish bike. Plus its easier to setup and maintain.
    worst advice ever IMO.

hardtail make you better riding a hardtail, and FS makes you better at riding FS. When I spend a ton of riding my SS hardtail(which is low slack and actually quite capable) There are certain trails that take me some time to get back up to speed on when riding my Trance X. My Trance X can just plow though extended sections of choppy roots and rocks, my honzo not so much and has hardtail goes that is just about one of the best one for actually riding real terrain.

The thing is for newb IMO the last thing you want is a bike that actually punishes mistakes. My GF bought 29er hardtail before meeting me, and the day she got on her 6x6 slack bike, she instantly start riding more trails, having more fun on trails she already rode and likes the sport tons better. She now has a SS 29er as well and has become better at riding that thing since she has figured tons of stuff out on her FS.

The advice to get a hardtail is like telling a beginner powder skier that they should learn on GS skis.

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    worst advice ever IMO.

hardtail make you better riding a hardtail, and FS makes you better at riding FS. When I spend a ton of riding my SS hardtail(which is low slack and actually quite capable) There are certain trails that take me some time to get back up to speed on when riding my Trance X. My Trance X can just plow though extended sections of choppy roots and rocks, my honzo not so much and has hardtail goes that is just about one of the best one for actually riding real terrain.

The thing is for newb IMO the last thing you want is a bike that actually punishes mistakes. My GF bought 29er hardtail before meeting me, and the day she got on her 6x6 slack bike, she instantly start riding more trails, having more fun on trails she already rode and likes the sport tons better. She now has a SS 29er as well and has become better at riding that thing since she has figured tons of stuff out on her FS.

The advice to get a hardtail is like telling a beginner powder skier that they should learn on GS skis.
    Shouldn't you be practicing your dolphin turns?

So bushwhack what bike is he supposed to get for $650?

I agree with what you're saying, I have three mountain bikes, but the dude wants to buy a bike for 650 bucks. To me and most people that means a relatively decent hardtail from a local shop so we can get repairs.

Otherwise we need a lot more information about where he plans to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    So bushwhack what bike is he supposed to get for $650?

I agree with what you're saying, I have three mountain bikes, but the dude wants to buy a bike for 650 bucks. To me and most people that means a relatively decent hardtail from a local shop so we can get repairs.

Otherwise we need a lot more information about where he plans to ride.
    I agree for 650 bucks........ it would be tough to find any decent FS used. I think in general though people with out budgets or higher budget should be looking to get a FS>. With that said stuff like this if well taken care if worth looking at.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1514872/

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    worst advice ever IMO.

So what is up with the guys on DH bikes starting out on BMX or MX? Really, I mean they are not even the same at all. Or Riding XC bikes like Graves and a few others. They need some of your excellent advice surely so they can go to that next level.

Yeah a some bikes handle differently than another bike. That could be said about different bikes with the same amount of travel. A slack 6" with 64d headtube will be more forgiving than a 6" with 69d headtube. This "confidence" that you speak is not skill. This is the bike forgiving for mistakes.

Same for skis and skiing.

Like others have said, need to know the types of trails and your purpose. If a mix like Grand Ridge, Tiger and do not care about efficiency just about having fun then maybe searching for a FS on the cheap. If you want the best value in the 650 range then a hardtail is probably your best bet.

Skilz and improvement have little to do with the bike really. Some bikes speed the process either because it punishes you for making too many mistakes or encourages you to push yourself. That is really up to the driver not the bike. A bike can compliment.

If you are near Duthie June 6th stop by and enjoy the MTB festival. Lots of bikes for demo. Volunteer and demo for free.

Thanks for all the input and direction on this. Big help, thanks a ton.

Rode at Tiger and Ranger Creek. Places like that seem cool to ride with more skills and patience. Wide open trails to rip also seem super fun. So based on what I've been gathering maybe a FS is my best bet. Essentially you can turn a FS into a hard tail correct?

For the record, I'm no dentist.

Quote Originally Posted by reynolds.trailrun View Post
    So what is up with the guys on DH bikes starting out on BMX or MX? Really, I mean they are not even the same at all. Or Riding XC bikes like Graves and a few others. They need some of your excellent advice surely so they can go to that next level.

Yeah a some bikes handle differently than another bike. That could be said about different bikes with the same amount of travel. A slack 6" with 64d headtube will be more forgiving than a 6" with 69d headtube. This "confidence" that you speak is not skill. This is the bike forgiving for mistakes.

Same for skis and skiing.
    I think it all feeds of each other. How are MX and BMX bike similar? Beside the tracks which are roughly similar. the bike themselves are not. A MX bike make the burliest of DH bike looks weak.

Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    i would look for a mid to late 00's 5x5ish bike, something like a trance, reign, enduro, pitch, etc
    Also consider an early 2000's Giant AC, if you can find one in nice shape for $350 or so. The Reign is definitely worth a few hundred more though, if you can swing it.

Maybe not one with a big fork like this, but you get the idea.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1103697/

With a low budget, I think the best move is to stick to bikes with a decent re-sale value. A lightly-used hardtail from Giant, Specialized or Trek that is bought for a fair price can also usually be re-sold for a fair price. The newer the better, both for [probably] better geometry and so it's not outdated when it's time to move on. I have yet to buy a new bike and have made out pretty well buying and selling bikes over the past few years. The general public still thinks that a Specialized Rockhopper is a fantastic bike (how could it not be, the names been around for what, 30 years now?) and I'd be shocked a Rockhopper or similar bike in working order was difficult to move on CL. Time spent riding is better than time spent shopping. Get a bike now and worry about getting the ideal bike later.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Maybe not one with a big fork like this, but you get the idea.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1103697/

Trouble with buying used, if he doesn't know shit, he could just as easily end up with a broken down money pit.
    If he know's someone with a lot of bike knowledge and he has time, good deals are available.

It's nice to support your local LBS. But this is prime time and he's not going to be getting any killer bike for $650 right now.

BikesDirect is a lot of bike for the money and you get them in a couple of days.
    The key to a first bike, get one that's fun, so you ride a lot.
    You can ride a fatty everywhere and there not that much that can go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    Time spent riding is better than time spent shopping. Get a bike now and worry about getting the ideal bike later.
    This.

Just doing a quick search of Seattle shops, I found this

http://www.greggscycles.com/product/...5-196268-1.htm

I meant to include Cannondale in my list of high resale brands. It's not amazing, but it does seem fine for the sale price. You can probably re-sell it for $400 fairly easily in a year or two. I have no problem with bikesdirect bikes if you're spending as much as you absolutely can and are planning to hang on to it for a while. But they do NOT have good re-sale. People who don't know about bikes have never heard of them and people who do know about bikes look elsewhere unless the components can justify the cost.

So, OP, what did you ride at Tiger and Ranger Creek? What did you like/not like?

A friends 26 HT. There wasn't much I didn't like. It seemed to do the trick. My lack of skills were the main setback.

Looking for a bike I can hopefully improve on and grow into for a season or two while just starting out. And feeling like I'm pointing in the right direction, thanks a ton
    Last edited by the_flying_v; 05-22-2015 at 10:01 PM.

Don't get hung up on weight for a first low-budget bike. Until carbon became common a few years ago, a lightweight bike usually meant flexy & fragile. An old 35 lb suspension bike is generally a lot more practical, durable, and fun to beat around on than an old flimsy 26 lb bike designed for nothing but climbing.