Thread: Golfers Elbow

Golfers Elbow

So I got diagnosed w/ golfers elbow (haven't golfed in 5 years ) last nov. Doc basically prescribed a stretching program where I was supposed to do a couple stretches (forearm) for 5 seconds every hour I'm awake (riiiiigght). he said I might feel slightly better come april. well, after giving it my best shot, I don't think I'm any better than 6 month ago. it doesn't bother me too much in daily activities but still know it's there and can really feel it if I flex and rotate my arm (sharp pain in bicep/forearm). doesn't really bother me skiing/biking (yet) so not too bummed about it but would like to start doing some things I know might affect it (climbing, yoga, push-ups, pull-ups etc).
    been trying to do some online research as well. any thoughts from the collective who've gone thru this. heard from some friends that have had it that it just took them a long time to get rid of it. thinking of trying some exercises to go w the stretching and maybe some icing. or maybe see a diff doc and get some prescribed pt?

no advice to add to here but this might help:

One day Bill complained to his friend that his elbow really hurt. His friend suggested that he go to a computer at the drug store that can diagnose anything quicker and cheaper than a doctor.
    ''Simply put in a sample of your urine and the computer will diagnose your problem and tell you what you can do about it. It only costs $10." Bill figured he had nothing to lose, so he filled a jar with a urine sample and went to the drug store. Finding the computer, he poured in the sample and deposited the $10. The computer started making some noise and various lights started flashing. After a brief pause out popped a small slip of paper on which was printed: "You have tennis elbow. Soak your arm in warm water. Avoid heavy lifting. It will be better in two weeks."
    Later that evening while thinking how amazing this new technology was and how it would change medical science forever, he began to wonder if this machine could be fooled. He mixed together some tap water, a stool sample from his dog and urine samples from his wife and daughter. To top it off, he masturbated into the concoction. He went back to the drug store, located the machine, poured in the sample and deposited the $10. The computer again made the usual noise and printed out the following message:
    "Your tap water is too hard. Get a water softener. Your dog has worms. Get him vitamins. Your daughter is using cocaine. Put her in a rehabilitation clinic. Your wife is pregnant with twin girls. They aren't yours. Get a lawyer. And if you don't stop jerking off, your tennis elbow will never get better."
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

That shit takes forever to heal. Ice rest and stretch it. I had it from golf. Didn't stop golfing and it took at least a couple years. If it's on your dominant arm you should probably take the stranger out for dinner and a movie.

I'm still dealing with the same thing--about six months in. I've done all kinds of stretches and whatnot but it hasn't gotten any better.

My only suggestion would be to consider a cortisone shot. I have a friend who is a PA that gave me a shot that made the pain go away for a couple of months. Unfortunately, it I came right back once I started fishing again, but it was nice to not deal with it for a while.

Not sure if the remedy is similar but tendinitis like pain from overuse in climbing here.. Curls with lowish weight small barbell or weights (palms down) can help build up muscle to balance and support the ligaments in the weak side of the elbow. It's a go to and very effective for me.

I have the same thing, but described as tennis elbow (don't know if there's a difference, I don't play tennis or golf). Mountain biking and working with hand tools irritates it.

I've been using an arm strap brace, which is supposed to alter the way the ligaments pull on the elbow. It seems to help, and I can ride without pain. You could try it - they're cheap, like $10-15.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I had the more common tennis elbow--on the outside of the elbow instead of the inside--both arms. Got it from shoveling snow at Donner Lake.. The arm bands helped a lot. I don't know for a fact they will work with yours but seems like they would. I haven't any trouble the last four years. Wonder why.

I haven't played tennis in 45 yrs but I have had tennis elbow at least 4 times in 32 years of paddling and it seems to go away after about 6 months which is coincidentally about the length of the paddling season up here

and what I have found IS if i have to constantly grip the paddle all the time instead of it just laying in my hands is when I get tennis elbow last time was with a waterstick zen which was all carbon so stiff as fuck/no give at all and the grips were larger, I sold it to a treeplanter and now I only use werner paddles with a smaller shaft cuz I don't have big hands ... cue the small yellow dick jokes

the arm bands help for sure and I keep them around in case i need to do something that requires a lot of gripping last 5 yrs have been pretty good
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-22-2015 at 05:38 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    Not sure if the remedy is similar but tendinitis like pain from overuse in climbing here.. Curls with lowish weight small barbell or weights (palms down) can help build up muscle to balance and support the ligaments in the weak side of the elbow. It's a go to and very effective for me.
    This. Had it several times. Tendinitis on the inside of the elbow is golfer's elbow and it's very common for climbers. The reverse curls can help immensely, but exercises to strengthen the pronators are also extremely important.

This is the exercise for strengthening pronators: