Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ladders?

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    this was a framer's janky improv scaffold at our house during renovation
    ladder supported at one end by concrete retaining wall and at other by the extended bucket of a small backhoe

#fuckOSHA

I thought the dude on the left was supporting the ladder on his shoulder

OK-if this thread as deteriorated into cute little kid stories--when I was up in the attic framing the second story addition my 3 year old son would sometimes be up there with me, playing with the skil saw and such. One day I found him sitting on the ground in the backyard with a framing hammer, some 16d nails and a piece of 2x4, driving nails and saying over and over again "Oh, shit. Oh, shit."
    Teach your children well.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    OK-if this thread as deteriorated into cute little kid stories--when I was up in the attic framing the second story addition my 3 year old son would sometimes be up there with me, playing with the skil saw and such. One day I found him sitting on the ground in the backyard with a framing hammer, some 16d nails and a piece of 2x4, driving nails and saying over and over again "Oh, shit. Oh, shit."
    Teach your children well.
    That's pretty good. Did the addition turn out as well?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    That's pretty good. Did the addition turn out as well?
    Turned out very well. And the kid turned out to be a surgeon--so learning how to say "Oh, shit" is turning out to be very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    whoa

ive totally done whats in that above pic and some other seemingly crazy crap when I was a full time painter. For the situation the OP proposed along with the Werner leg levelers (those seem a bit clunky) there are these http://www.amazon.com/Xtenda-Leg-Lad.../dp/B005YSQLVK

Those 2 products are what I would use given the situation, but promise you i was never above taking a few cedar house shakes (shingles) in opposing directions to get the level i needed. Also rocks...ROCKS were used many times. Painters do crazy shit.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    So I gotta touch up some paint in my stairwell around a light fixture. The ceiling is about 22' off the ground above the stairs, which are enclosed by walls on both sides.

Do they make something you can put on a ladder leg so that it can be used sideways on stairs? Kinda one leg longer than the other type thing so that it stays level? Does the Amigo Depot rent some kinda ladder like this?

I'm convinced this is going to end with a big fall and a paint stained runner.
    Prop up the ladder on milk crates. 8)

Or build scaffolding. I did that for a vaulted staircase I painted for my dad many years ago. He had a lot of lumber lying around that was fair game.
    I see hydraulic turtles.