Kingpin heel plus beast or vipec toe

Just wondering if anyone has considered or tried this combo for the ultimate releasable pin binding?

A vipec toe with a kingpin heel would defiantly be releasing; re: Line Reactor.

A beast toe should work. Theoretically it is the inverse of a p18.

I dunno how many folks are lining up to buy two of the more expensive bindings out there to get a single binding that may or may not work.

If someone can figure out how/where to just buy Beast 16 toe pieces -you might get some testers. Still spending a lot of money for some theoretical advantage in a rapidly evolving product range that more players are looking to get in on.

Frankentele? Are you back?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenfish View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has considered or tried this combo for the ultimate releasable pin binding?
    I really wanna like the Kingpin for a pair of skis that could see dual use (inbounds & touring). I might have to just fork over the $$$ this Fall to see how these thingys work.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Still think the weakness in a tech binding us in the toe piece. And the kingpin doesn't adress that.

I skied dynafits for years, on firm snow, and I never felt the heel to be anything but a bomber connection to the boot.
    So I think the kingpin is perhaps a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Still think the weakness in a tech binding us in the toe piece. And the kingpin doesn't adress that.

I skied dynafits for years, on firm snow, and I never felt the heel to be anything but a bomber connection to the boot.
    Agreed on the toe being the weak link. In the case of the G3 Ion (which I like), stiffer springs seem to be the answer. Perhaps the Ion/Kingpin approach is a bit more one of brute force when compared with the Vipec. I don't know.

The Vipec is another strong candidate for my love. None of this is to say that the Ion hasn't worked for me this year. I haven't skied it in wet snow conditions where some are reporting usability issues.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post

I disagree, I find the floating connection of the Dynafit heel to be vague and imprecise compared to an alpine heel with forward and downward pressure. I find this is most noticeable in choppy/uneven snow. On smooth and consistent snow (hard or soft) it's not that noticeable.

Agree however that the lack of elasticity in the toe is also an issue on traditional Dynafits, and that the Kingpin doesn't do much (if anything) to address that.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I disagree, I find the floating connection of the Dynafit heel to be vague and imprecise compared to an alpine heel with forward and downward pressure. I find this is most noticeable in choppy/uneven snow. On smooth and consistent snow (hard or soft) it's not that noticeable.

Agree however that the lack of elasticity in the toe is also an issue on traditional Dynafits, and that the Kingpin doesn't do much (if anything) to address that.
    I guess I can't effectively argue the point about heel stability as well as some folks, because with my skinny heels and bony ankles, I've always found this to be the week link in terms of connection with the ski - even with Intuitions and horsing around with "L" pads.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design

anyone know if you can buy dynafit components part by part anywhere? it might make it possible to do this.
    K

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    anyone know if you can buy dynafit components part by part anywhere? it might make it possible to do this.
    K
    You might try SkiMo: http://skimo.co/bindings

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design

Fkntoopid
    watch out for snakes

FS: Beast toes

Toes only $500
    w/ heels $525

+ shipping

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Fkntoopid
    110% !!!!

Marker's engineers tried and couldn't get them to work with such a toe design.
    I don't know why these guys would think they can succeed where Marker engineers with vastly greater resources all around, failed!
    (X_X)

Quote Originally Posted by neonorchid View Post
    110% !!!!

Marker's engineers tried and couldn't get them to work with such a toe design.
    I don't know why these guys would think they can succeed where Marker engineers with vastly greater resources all around, failed!
    (X_X)
    to be fair, markers engineers have fucked up just about everything else for the last 20 years....

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    to be fair, markers engineers have fucked up just about everything else for the last 20 years....
    I'm not a fan either. Still, they came up with this heel piece everyone seems to think are the bees knees.

Really they were just the first ones to realize that you don't need the funky two pin heel retention tech to maximize the potential of the pin toe tech. Doesn't mean they went about it in the best way.