Mini TR: A Helena weekend

First up was the task of #enduring the first stop of the Montana Enduro Series is a sopping downpour that turned all the trails into two-wheel-sliding mud bogs, and which was too much fun finishing with a full wipeout into the finish line and a last-second surge to get my stupid wrist thing in line with the timing beeper whatever. Above that was a full slideout on a switchback and two off-the-bike tumbles due to the horrible shifting mud conditions and my inability to look away from the tree in front of me. Great times, and apologies again to the Holiday Inn Downtown Helena for choking your plumbing with dirt. Anyways...

...following that, we headed out with a few sporty locals (namely evasive MT) to check out the other trails in the main Helena network behind town, with the added benefit of freezing temps but no rain this time.

But hark, history knocks! Along the way to the trailhead were former lime kilns or something:

This place! Evasive MT plays tour guide:

Pedaling in the forward direction:

Atop the first climb was a nice picnic table with handsome etchings paying homage to the active lifestyle of the finer gender:

Cool view:

Local Ryan breaks in the descent:

HVSkier, having tied mrtoast for overall time the following day, went just as fast on this day's down. Mostly because his body temperature was at 78 degrees by this point:

Cliff, still in race mode with his name plate, braaps the Hogback trail descent, which was an awesome, stepped, rock-littered fall line rip for a quick minute:

Onto looking for more opportunities for flats. Evasive leads the charge:

HV don't need no kneepads:

Burn pedalin':

After some righteous rocky ridgeline blasting, we dropped in for a full-blown fall line two wheel slide group blast. Yippee!

Despite most locals only going for one lap on most days and HV's body temp now in the low 40's, I still needed an excuse to get Burger King on the way out of town, so off we went for a second lap. McKelvey Trail?

HV pedaling fast to warm up:

Ryan on the start of the fun for Show Me the Horse:

I naturally hammered all the fun corners without stopping and only turned around to shoot when things got "boring:"

Then this place has great beer for only $3/piece. You just can't get more than 4 in a sitting. Montana?

Anyways, thanks for a great time Helena and all the help setting up the trip Patrick & evasive!
    Last edited by WaistDeepGroomers; 05-19-2015 at 06:08 AM.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Did HV get a squishy bike?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

If you can drink more than four Single Malt IPA's at the Blackfoot than you're more of a man than I am. That stuff knocks me out.

Nice pics!

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Did HV get a squishy bike?
    HV is officially testing a full squish bike for TGR. he does a lot of fast pedaling...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    You just can't get more than 4 in a sitting. Montana?
    Just at breweries

Looks like you guys had a great weekend!

Nice TR, bummer about the weather but looks fun anyway.

Nice skittle TR!

That looks an awful lot like the loop that corresponds to the kmz I uploaded
    I need to get over there again this summer.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I spent a week skiing in Canada with the owner of that brewery. Dude rips on Tele.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Good riding with you guys.

We got some outrage from the local road/XC/CX crowd about not canceling the race (it was really raining), but the trails held up just fine. They were dry enough today to get out and do some maintenance, and there wasn't much required. A few blown or rutted turns was about it. The wet race was the best thing to happen to those trails. It bedded them in, showed the line, showed the drainage issues, and widened the tread a bit. Hopefully things will quiet down as more people get out to see for themselves.

I've always said Helena has the best trails on the state. Besides the incredible single track right in town there are some unbelievable rides outside of town in every direction. Glad you had fun.

Killing it with the 4-5 year old crowd!
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Nice!

Good meeting you guys. Sorry I didn't stick around for the Sunday ride, but it was about 30 degrees warmer back up in the Fish.

Thanks again evasive and Bike Helena crew for a fun weekend and great riding. Wrote a little story about the scene there which can be read/hated/enjoyed here: http://www.tetongravity.com/story/bi...king-helena-mt
    Last edited by WaistDeepGroomers; 06-17-2015 at 11:45 AM.

Add another location to the ever growing list...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I'm glad you guys got to stick around and sample some of the other good stuff around town.

Thanks again evasive and Bike Helena crew for a fun weekend and great riding. Wrote a little story about the scene there which can be read/hated/enjoyed here: http://www.tetongravity.com/story/ad...ing-the-teesta
    Link seems to go to something about India...did the spammers hack your account?

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Link seems to go to something about India...did the spammers hack your account?
    Whoops....

http://www.tetongravity.com/story/bi...king-helena-mt