Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I'm not the one being a dickhead in every new thread. Answer the question instead of trying to deflect.
    I've responded to most of the on-topic posts in this thread. You've contributed virtually nothing here, except name calling and harassment. Who is the jerk again?

Damian, thanks for the 787 examples, once again answering your own question about where 3D printing is being used in a production environment.
    You have asked for evidence of it being an effective option for production, examples have been provided. It is ok to change your opinion when faced with new evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Incompetent Boob View Post
    Damian, thanks for the 787 examples, once again answering your own question about where 3D printing is being used in a production environment.
    You have asked for evidence of it being an effective option for production, examples have been provided. It is ok to change your opinion when faced with new evidence.
    I've known for years that 3D printing can be used for production parts, however, as I said, there are extremely few cases where they are practical - high complexity, high cost, low volume. However, that does not justify designing unneeded complexity into a part, which was the reason for this thread in the first place.

So you were that post deleting pussy!
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

First:
    Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    Please cite any specific mass-produced product that uses 3-D printing / rapid prototyping for the normal production of any of its parts. Versus injection molding, casting, welding, forging, stamping or many other processes.

Please.

I'm waiting..
    Then:

I've known for years that 3D printing can be used for production parts
    I like this thread

He's like the Matt of mechanical engineering
    No longer stuck.

I like this thread
    Me too. It's got that great sense of mystery: does OP work for HP? Is it just a reminder that even those who fully understand can still learn? Or something else?

In case it's not the first one, I'll just drop this here:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sintered+metal+gears

"Lockheed titanium printing" should be entertaining, too.

HP is working on a type of 3d printing.

I was messing around with rockering skis in the mid 00's, which is couple years after I got my first pair of legit DH race skis. Note: DH skis are not good for tree skiing.
    Cool, but your coming off as too focused in proving 3d printing can't do everything. The people posting here seen to know that. Composite lamination can't do everything, nor can cnc milling, welding, vacuum deposition or injection molding. Doesn't make them any less valid. And vacuum deposition is used to make some bike parts much more expensive

First:

Then:

I like this thread
    You have ZERO reading comprehension skills.

Mass production is not the same as low rate production / custom production.

Please, anyone feel free to tell me a MASS PRODUCED CONSUMER product, that uses any 3D printed parts. NOT airplanes, $20k bikes, spacecraft, specialty equipment, ETC.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    HP is working on a type of 3d printing.
    You heard that, too?

ETClarify: OP + HP3D = cynical smart advertising

And it all ends in a *kiss* of homophobia.

--Draw Curtains--

Now, now Damian, no need to get upset. You started this thread focussing on the application for bicycles. Why do you want to take us away from that now? Is it because your point about it being great for certain low-volume applications has been made? Are you looking to convince us that it will also be the future for mass-produced consumer goods?

You know, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just trying to debate this topic.

I also find it insulting that people are going around claiming that 3-D printing is going to revolutionize manufacturing in the USA. Complete load of crap. Manufacturing in the USA is about 12% of GDP, or $2 TRILLION per year. 3-D printing (building the machines and supplying the materials) was a $3B business world wide last year. Riiiight.

People who claim 3-D printing will bring manufacturing back to the USA are morons that don't know that there is already $2 Trillion here. Making plastic gnomes on your desktop isn't going to make much of a dent in that.
    You find it insulting? Huh.

Uh, why? Like, did they call your Mom fat, or something?
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

3D Printed bike parts....

You have ZERO reading comprehension skills.

Mass production is not the same as low rate production / custom production.

Please, anyone feel free to tell me a MASS PRODUCED CONSUMER product, that uses any 3D printed parts. NOT airplanes, $20k bikes, spacecraft, specialty equipment, ETC.
    Again it is true!

We have a social media policy so I won't get into it and my financial wellbeing is worth more than this conversation but I can tell you there are multiple companies that make mass appliances (I.e. More than 1mm units per year) with 3d parts made in, and shocking, EU countries. Sometimes it just does not make sense to invest in large cav molds and IMMs from companies like Engel (AT) when the product lifecycle is 2 years. Companies cannot take the depreciation hit even if the IMM is repurposed. For example one of Engels largest customers is Lego. Does it make sense to 3d a 4 hole block...no..but a super limited release special edition for a movie/event/etc...of course! I have no insight if Lego is doing this but that would make perfect sense especially as printing custom Legos is all the craze. Do you know what a IMM costs?? I do. Is it the future? Don't know...is it being used???? YES is the answer.

Footnote:
    http://www.plasticsnews.com/article/...ress-milestone
    Last edited by geo039; 05-23-2015 at 07:54 AM.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

You're really putting the "bi" in bicycle here.
    Not really, no, but why don't you blow me, you thread deleting pussy.
    Go beg to be let back on empty beer. Go be a dick there, or anywhere else.
    No longer stuck.

I'm done here. No one has been able to refute my points with evidence, thus they resort to insults.

Thanks for the thread, Damian. You provided us some good examples of where 3D printing is being used today in low-weight, low-volume production environments which compare nicely to bicycle manufacturing and thus gave us some insight into where the market is heading. I think at the end you really did convince all but the luddites that 3D printing will be a viable manufacturing technique for bikes in the not too distant future.

I'm done here. No one has been able to refute my points with evidence, thus they resort to insults.
    You and Matt1618 should get in a debate over 3D printed Jesus dolls.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

So, is everybody enjoying their 3D printed bikes, now that it's "the future"? Yeah, I thought so.

In the mean time, here's a 3d printed skateboard for you to enjoy!