Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

3D Printed bike parts....

Yikes....pretty much everything here can be designed to be built better by traditional techniques.

http://imgur.com/a/jtYIC

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    Yikes....pretty much everything here can be designed to be built better by traditional techniques.

http://imgur.com/a/jtYIC
    I think you don't understand the purpose of 3D printing. Quick fab without tooling for immediate testing.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    I think you don't understand the purpose of 3D printing. Quick fab without tooling for immediate testing.
    I fully understand 3-D printing.

I fully understand 3-D printing.
    How do you know they are so faulty without seeing the internal structure? There is a real advantage in making complex internal shapes while saving weight.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    How do you know they are so faulty without seeing the internal structure? There is a real advantage in making complex internal shapes while saving weight.
    Do you fully understand 3d printing.....?

I'm not sure I understand your trolling technique.

But I am sure you don't understand the "why" of 3d printing.

But there we have the paradox of the internet troll. Are you spouting off because you have no clue what you are talking about- or do you actually know what you are saying is fatuous, and proceed to prattle on anyway.

What have YOU designed that we can all summarily reject because we sit behind the keys, and don't have to take accountability or have understanding for what we say?

Do you fully understand 3d printing.....?
    No, I don't with with it enough. I do know that it isn't the holy hail of creating things like some people think. However that doesn't mean it isn't useful for some applications. Just like some joins are with stir welding, some are worth tig welding and some are worth using tape. A friend tested some tape for holding wings on planes. He said it was a better option that stir welding and was stronger as well.

Quote Originally Posted by juanbendedknee View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your trolling technique.

But I am sure you don't understand the "why" of 3d printing.

But there we have the paradox of the internet troll. Are you spouting off because you have no clue what you are talking about- or do you actually know what you are saying is fatuous, and proceed to prattle on anyway.

What have YOU designed that we can all summarily reject because we sit behind the keys, and don't have to take accountability or have understanding for what we say?
    Oh, so I'm a troll because I think something is blatantly overhyped to the point of absurdity? I thought TGR posters were smart enough to see though something as silly as how 3D printing (AKA, Rapid Prototyping) is conceptually being abused by the media and businesses.

Yes, there are a (vanishingly) small number of superior designs what could ONLY be quickly and economicly built by *RAPID PROTOTYPING* device. In bicycles, I highly doubt there will be ANY 3-D printed products EVER sold on their stand alone merits of price / performance ratio.

In bicycles, I highly doubt there will be ANY 3-D printed products EVER sold on their stand alone merits of price / performance ratio.
    Umm, are any other bike parts ever sold solely on the merits of price/performance?

So... You're not just trolling? You sure are all frothed up buddy.

Side note- Its awesome when people write with alternating ALL CAPS- because EMPHASIS/ANGER! Then to add underline to the ALL CAPS. Everyone I know who does this is 50-60 years old, not sure whats with that.

Oh, so I'm a troll because I think something is blatantly overhyped to the point of absurdity? I thought TGR posters were smart enough to see though something as silly as how 3D printing (AKA, Rapid Prototyping) is conceptually being abused by the media and businesses.

Yes, there are a (vanishingly) small number of superior designs what could ONLY be quickly and economicly built by *RAPID PROTOTYPING* device. In bicycles, I highly doubt there will be ANY 3-D printed products EVER sold on their stand alone merits of price / performance ratio.

Here's a vertical assist device built by additive manufacturing from a 3-D model...! Wow!

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/use-the...cker-2015.html

Quote Originally Posted by juanbendedknee View Post
    So... You're not just trolling? You sure are all frothed up buddy.

Side note- Its awesome when people write with alternating ALL CAPS- because EMPHASIS/ANGER! Then to add underline to the ALL CAPS. Everyone I know who does this is 50-60 years old, not sure whats with that.
    I'm sure you're going to start meaningfully contributing to this thread any second now....?

Split, kook.

Not a chance. Of either thing. I'm stayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Umm, are any other bike parts ever sold solely on the merits of price/performance?
    True, I'm just saying in theory. I'm looking forward to the first few gapers on their 3-d printed bikes.

But dude, it's areo.
    And the asking price for that fork is fine.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

3D printing is a big world. Home printers won't be printing nice structural parts for a while, however with industrial equipment you can find many examples where it is already being used for low-volume production parts. That is, where the price/performance ratio makes sense for actual paying customers. This ratio is obviously different for different people, just as you may not see the benefit of a Di2 set-up doesn't mean it doesn't sell to other customers who find the price/performance ratio acceptable. I am confident that 3D printing of bikes will come.
    Of course it may just end up a flash in the pan like carbon was. Remember the GT STS? What fools, imagining carbon could be used for DH bikes...

Quote Originally Posted by Incompetent Boob View Post
    3D printing is a big world. Home printers won't be printing nice structural parts for a while, however with industrial equipment you can find many examples where it is already being used for low-volume production parts. That is, where the price/performance ratio makes sense for actual paying customers. This ratio is obviously different for different people, just as you may not see the benefit of a Di2 set-up doesn't mean it doesn't sell to other customers who find the price/performance ratio acceptable. I am confident that 3D printing of bikes will come.
    Of course it may just end up a flash in the pan like carbon was. Remember the GT STS? What fools, imagining carbon could be used for DH bikes...
    Carbon fiber is an poor analogy. Carbon is now widely used for high end structural applications, which started nearly 50 years ago. For the bike industry to adapt it more widely over the last 20 years is simply them catching up with the tech level of other industries.

Rapid Prototyping (aka 3d Printing) has been around since the 80's. It's typically used to........make a prototype part. In exceptional cases it is used to make complex parts in very low volume for high end applications where traditional processes just aren't well suited to the design. But its just the prototype part normally - for production, traditional processes are used.

You can't go into Walmart and buy a single product that was made using 3d printing, and never ever will. You'll also be wasting a lot of time and money if you think you can make something useful at home with a 3d printer, that you could just go out and buy for cheaper. Want to make something useful at home? Buy some woodworking or metal working tools.....but I guess those aren't as hyped up.
    Last edited by Damian Sanders; 05-21-2015 at 10:07 PM.

Carbon fiber is an poor analogy. Carbon is now widely used for high end structural applications, which started nearly 50 years ago. For the bike industry to adapt it more widely over the last 20 years is simply them catching up with the tech level of other industries.

Rapid Prototyping (aka 3d Printing) has been around since the 80's. It's typically used to........make a prototype part. In exceptional cases it is used to make extremely complex parts for high end applications where traditional processes just aren't well suited to the design. But its just the prototype part normally - for production, traditional processes are used.

You can't go into Walmart and buy a single product that was made using 3d printing, and never ever will. You'll also be wasting a lot of time and money if you think you can make something useful at home with a 3d printer, that you couldn't just go out and buy for cheaper. Want to make something useful at home? Buy some woodworking or metal working tools.....but I guess those aren't as hyped up.
    Actually you currently do purchase products at Walmart with 3D printed parts....they are inside things like small appliances.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    Actually you currently do purchase products at Walmart with 3D printed parts....they are inside things like small appliances.
    Care to cite an example of this?

https://www.google.com/search?safe=a....0.g1WXgFf7HJs

Any small appliance is going to have injection molded or cast parts, which are far cheaper to produce in large numbers.

Care to cite an example of this?

https://www.google.com/search?safe=a....0.g1WXgFf7HJs

Any small appliance is going to have injection molded or cast parts, which are far cheaper to produce in large numbers.
    I work for one of those cpg companies and I can tell you we use 3d parts. Yes IM tech is still standard in most but the reality is such.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Sorry Damian, but whether you like it or not it is being implemented for production parts in industry today. As with carbon, designers need time to adapt the design approach to the materials and manufacturing processes. The Empire DH bike in your original link has some examples of internal structures which can be implemented effectively with 3D printing.
    Bikes are typically low-volume products which makes them especially suited to flexible technologies like 3D printing. Given the choice between tweaking carbon moulds and tweaking the NC program for a component I know which I would prefer. Sure, not everything will be done with such technology, but you can be sure some things.

Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    I work for one of those cpg companies and I can tell you we use 3d parts. Yes IM tech is still standard in most but the reality is such.
    Have any noise issues? I'm in Switzerland for a while with a useful product for locating acoustic problems.

Cant you go rant over at MTBR? Oh wait....

Shops should have 3d Printers that can make any derailleur hanger while you wait, with beer on tape for while you wait.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Incompetent Boob View Post
    Sorry Damian, but whether you like it or not it is being implemented for production parts in industry today. As with carbon, designers need time to adapt the design approach to the materials and manufacturing processes. The Empire DH bike in your original link has some examples of internal structures which can be implemented effectively with 3D printing.
    Bikes are typically low-volume products which makes them especially suited to flexible technologies like 3D printing. Given the choice between tweaking carbon moulds and tweaking the NC program for a component I know which I would prefer. Sure, not everything will be done with such technology, but you can be sure some things.
    Please cite any specific mass-produced product that uses 3-D printing / rapid prototyping for the normal production of any of its parts. Versus injection molding, casting, welding, forging, stamping or many other processes.

Please.

I'm waiting.

Then there are the numerous other proven fabrication techniques that can produce low volume prototypes, which have many advantages over 3D printing. Too many to go into.

Bike have pretty well refined in the last ten years. You can get a fork that has weighs less than 4 lbs, has 6" of travel, and is reasonably stiff, for under $500. It is made from a variety of materials, precision shaped and finished. There is NO WAY to replicate that more effectively with a 3-D printer, not now, and not 100 years from now.