Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Are airplane wings mass produced? They're assembly line produced, at least.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    Cant you go rant over at MTBR? Oh wait....

Shops should have 3d Printers that can make any derailleur hanger while you wait, with beer on tape for while you wait.
    You mean like a multi-hundred thousand dollar sintered metal 3d machine? Sure! They'll need a qualified tech or engineer on staff to keep it running. So figure about 2 hours or so to produce the hanger, at only $2000 each.

Or, they could have a very basic CNC machine that cuts your hangers out of blanks, on demand. Maybe 20 minutes, for $100 each.

Or, they could just cast them, in China, for 50 cents each and sell them to you in a bike shop for $20.

Good luck.

I print them in my garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    You mean like a multi-hundred thousand dollar sintered metal 3d machine? Sure! They'll need a qualified tech or engineer on staff to keep it running. So figure about 2 hours or so to produce the hanger, at only $2000 each.

Or, they could have a very basic CNC machine that cuts your hangers out of blanks, on demand. Maybe 20 minutes, for $100 each.

Or, they could just cast them, in China, for 50 cents each and sell them to you in a bike shop for $20.

Good luck.
    I didn't know we were spewing real Ideas or using logic here.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Please tell me where they are being 3D printed.

You can't go into Walmart and buy a single product that was made using 3d printing, and never ever will.
    There is NO WAY to replicate that more effectively with a 3-D printer, not now, and not 100 years from now.
    Just stop. You have made some perfectly valid points in this thread and no one is really disagreeing with you that 3D printing is over-hyped. But for fuck's sake, statements like these predicting how manufacturing is going to be done 100+ years in the future make you look like a certifiable moron.

And how much would would that CNC machine and the resultant product have cost when CNC was in its infancy? I think you can get my point.

You clearly started this thread looking for an argument. You got one, so you can let it go or you can keep digging that hole. Your choice.

Now that they are composites (again) I think people will start making them at home. Can't be that different from the fiberglass+epoxy patch I did on the rocket box.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Just stop. You have made some perfectly valid points in this thread and no one is really disagreeing with you that 3D printing is over-hyped. But for fuck's sake, statements like these predicting how manufacturing is going to be done 100+ years in the future make you look like a certifiable moron.

And how much would would that CNC machine and the resultant product have cost when CNC was in its infancy? I think you can get my point.

You clearly started this thread looking for an argument. You got one, so you can let it go or you can keep digging that hole. Your choice.
    Actually, due to the laws of physics (which are pretty well defined in this area), I'm pretty sure about those statements being very definite.

CNC is merely the control of an operation by computer. Before that they could be controlled by mechanisim, and manually by a human. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milling_(machining)

I started this thread to educate people. It personally annoys me that idiots get hyped up by 3-D printing (think star trek replicator) and ignore all the amazing things possible in modern manufacturing or actual DIY fabrication though a multitude of processes.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Now that they are composites (again) I think people will start making them at home. Can't be that different from the fiberglass+epoxy patch I did on the rocket box.
    IMHO, it's far more useful to get into DIY composite fabrication (vs. 3-d printing).

Here's a good one:

https://blog.solidconcepts.com/indus...ell-lucky-100/

Legit, functional 3-D printed (sintered metal) 1911........yours for only $11,900! What a deal!

Or you can roll down to your nearest store and pick up a "mass produced" one for about $800.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_Concepts_1911_DMLS

So, it can be said that a $500,000+ 3-D printing machine is capable of producing a 100 year old design at 15x the cost of modern mass production. Nice.

Guess they're not printing aircraft parts yet, but hey, it's good enough for astronauts. Stop being a dick.
    No longer stuck.

I started this thread to educate people.
    On how much of a dick you are? Success!

Guess they're not printing aircraft parts yet, but hey, it's good enough for astronauts. Stop being a dick.
    Well kind of: http://www.airbus.com/presscentre/pr...r-manufacturi/

And a 3d printed turbine http://www.gizmag.com/ge-fires-up-al...t-einge/37448/

I'm not sure I agree about composite stuff. There's a steeper learning curve (I'm not an expert) but you can build more useful things. I think 3d printing is attractive to programming type people who see it as a way of making something from very little. It really is a new way of building things, and very useful, but there is a job in choosing the right process for a task.

I might argue that weaving is a precursor to the extrusion style printers.

That's actually an awesome example. Question then becomes: "Is 3-D printing in space cheaper than shipping something into space?"

Yeah, NASA made a plastic 3 lb-in wrench on the ISS . It's a pretty neat design. I wonder if it works any better or worse than the set of ultra high end torque wrenches they already have on board....?

Regardless, a normal high end 3 lb-in fixed torque wrench weighs about 0.4 lb and costs about $200. At current rates, that would cost about $4,000 to ship into space.

http://www.pasternack.com/images/Pro...F/PE5019-1.pdf

I'll take a wild guess and say the 3-D printer experiment they sent to ISS weighed about 100lb including materials. That's a $1,000,000 shipping fee buddy. I wonder what other useful things they use it for....? Or was it just to print a wrench.....the most expensive wrench in the known universe?

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/st...ents/1115.html

That is pretty much state of the art for 3-D printing. Fancy brackets for low weight, high cost applications.

That is pretty much state of the art for 3-D printing. Fancy brackets for low weight, high cost applications.
    What's something else that is low weight and high cost? Oh right, a bicycle.
    Thanks for clarifying that for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Incompetent Boob View Post
    What's something else that is low weight and high cost? Oh right, a bicycle.
    Thanks for clarifying that for us.
    The Boeing 787 costs about $1000 per lb. Typical high end mountain bike is around $200 per lb or less.

The 787 uses about 30 3-D printed parts, on what is a 125 ton vehicle......mostly custom ducts, covers and hinges:

http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...ill-be-printed

So, you can add those to the list of 3-D printed products - fancy ducts, fancy covers, and fancy hinges, to go along with your fancy brackets.

I'm eagerly awaiting the day I can go into walmart and buy a $50,000 100% 3-D printed microwave oven. Pure awesome.
    Last edited by Damian Sanders; 05-21-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    On how much of a dick you are? Success!
    You know, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just trying to debate this topic.

I also find it insulting that people are going around claiming that 3-D printing is going to revolutionize manufacturing in the USA. Complete load of crap. Manufacturing in the USA is about 12% of GDP, or $2 TRILLION per year. 3-D printing (building the machines and supplying the materials) was a $3B business world wide last year. Riiiight.

People who claim 3-D printing will bring manufacturing back to the USA are morons that don't know that there is already $2 Trillion here. Making plastic gnomes on your desktop isn't going to make much of a dent in that.

No. You are trying to be a jerk. Or you are a jerk, and don't think you are. Not sure which is worse.

No one needs to be "educated" by you and the Google searching you've been doing because you woke up with a bone to pick about 3d printing. WTF is wrong with you? You've never cited your expertise on the subject, yet on and on you go like anyone here gives a shit.

Only it is this constant car crash- and we all simply cannot look away because of what you might say next.
    The bummer is that if you wern't you, you might be able to phrase your opinion in a way that didn't make people hate you. I'm sure you are an alright dude in real life, if not a codger. But hey, I'm friends with codgers.

Try babbling at your grandchildren, or the grocery store clerk, or whoever will listen. Because nobody here is.

I'm beginning to see why he was banned on empty beer. What a tool.
    Weren't you Highway Star or part of that whole fiasco?
    Just fuck off, already.
    No longer stuck.

I'm eagerly awaiting the day I can go into walmart and buy a $50,000 100% 3-D printed microwave oven. Pure awesome.
    I'm still waiting for my all cnc milled microwave.

You probably were opposed to rockered skis because they weren't capable of fast enough times on a DH course.

I'm still waiting for my all cnc milled microwave.

You probably were opposed to rockered skis because they weren't capable of fast enough times on a DH course.
    I was messing around with rockering skis in the mid 00's, which is couple years after I got my first pair of legit DH race skis. Note: DH skis are not good for tree skiing.

I'm beginning to see why he was banned on empty beer. What a tool.
    Weren't you Highway Star or part of that whole fiasco?
    Just fuck off, already.
    Since when are you mr. popular nice guy? Hmmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by juanbendedknee View Post
    No. You are trying to be a jerk. Or you are a jerk, and don't think you are. Not sure which is worse.

No one needs to be "educated" by you and the Google searching you've been doing because you woke up with a bone to pick about 3d printing. WTF is wrong with you? You've never cited your expertise on the subject, yet on and on you go like anyone here gives a shit.

Only it is this constant car crash- and we all simply cannot look away because of what you might say next.
    The bummer is that if you wern't you, you might be able to phrase your opinion in a way that didn't make people hate you. I'm sure you are an alright dude in real life, if not a codger. But hey, I'm friends with codgers.

Try babbling at your grandchildren, or the grocery store clerk, or whoever will listen. Because nobody here is.
    While I'm not an expert, I am educated, experienced, and qualified to have a conceptual discussion of manufacturing techniques at a technical level appropriate for this venue.

I'm not the one being a dickhead in every new thread. Answer the question instead of trying to deflect.
    No longer stuck.