Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Sad that the second person has now died in hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    climbing steep and hard snow with exposure sounds like SOP for late spring/summer skiing, at least in the sierra. isn't it like that in most areas?
    Same where I live. I tend to avoid it, or find safer ways to access, rather than routinely take the risk of direct, steep, frozen, exposed unpropped solo climbs.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    Same where I live. I tend to avoid it, or find safer ways to access, rather than routinely take the risk of direct, steep, frozen, exposed unpropped solo climbs.
    i agree. i have done both, depending on the circumstances, objective, etc.

personally, i have been a part of less than stellar results a few times following both methods. i'm sure others have, too (there was a group of mags that had a very close call due to a fall while ascent hard pack several years back in the sierra). personally, i have fallen into that snowbridge thing feature between the rock wall and the consistent snow of a couloir while ascending. separate times, i have had two friends taking very long slides because the coulor was still solid; we hadn't climbed them and "thought" that they had thawed; one guy even had an axe and tried to arrest (it may have eventually stopped him).

i have also id'ed hazards while climbing (ice budge, rock, etc.) and been able to easily navigate the issue on the descent. also, i've been able to confirm avi issue in the objective and been able to mitigate the hazard from above or do something else, where climbing the objective would have been really bad.