Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fixed ropes on bad entries [stupid JONG question!?]

Fixed ropes are common on heinous climbing approaches through little gullies, crazy scrambles and other places where a slip would be bad. You've got a heavy load (rack, rope, etc) so a fixed rope can be very welcome. Climbers put the ropes up and replace them when they're getting shot. They can be very, very helpful. So, is this ever done in skiing on sketchy traverses or entries through tiny slots, etc? I've never seen it, but that doesn't mean a thing. I'm not talking about being lowered into a couloir or rapping off a fixed anchor or any of that.

Example: I nearly shit my pants on an insanely narrow, steep approach across the huge buttress slightly below and to the right of Eagles Nest at Alta (bear right past Eagle's Nest and curve down and back towards the left). It was really little more than a very, very steep sideslip path looping down and around the face of the buttress. One side was about 75deg and 100ft down to a sieve of trees at the bottom and the uphill side was about as steep. The fucking thing was boney and narrower than my skis (I was on 190s). Nothing to grab. Clean edging not possible, too rocky. And of course it got progressively worse with no options. I really thought it was over - catching and popping off a rock would have been the end. It was the perfect place for a knotted fixed rope, which in the climbing world would have been there.

Sure fixed ropes could be buried regularly, but with frequent use and proper positioning they'd be easy enough to find. I'm thinking about hiking up there and putting one up as a community service. Flame on.

I have no idea if it's there now, but I skied Fernie a bunch of years ago and there was a rope to help into some steepish tree run. It was a pain to avoid because I didn't need it. Fat fucking rope dangling into the spot I want to turn.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Huh, OK. Sounds like a bad placement though. If it's skiable at all by anybody it probably shouldn't be there. In my example I'm hard pressed to think of anybody actually skiing it rather than sideslipping down.

Here in Telluride we have a backcountry egress route that bottlenecks into a spot with a fixed rope. It's hand over hand through a short and often unskiable section that's about 30ft. long. It's known locally as the "monkey swing."
    Last edited by DropCliffsNotBombs; 05-17-2015 at 09:59 AM.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Moonlight Basin has a couple along the Headwaters hike, one on the Dead Goat hike and one in the Whitewaters to help skiers down through a narrow rocky choke.
    Originally Posted by nickwm21
    "hitting rocks ain't normal use in their eyes..."

The 'Bird has one from the Silver Fox into Great Scott. It seems kind of silly when the snow is good but it was nice this year. I think there is also one on the entrance to one of the chutes under gadzoom.

Theres a couple on Blackcomb known as ropeline.

Quote Originally Posted by raueda1 View Post
    So, is this ever done in skiing on sketchy traverses or entries through tiny slots, etc?
    What I notice is that skiers tend to accept far higher un-belayed exposure than climbers ever would, particularly on very firm slippery surfaces. Not sure why, but some guesses:

1. a lot of skiers/boarders step-up into bigger ski mountaineering terrain for thrill and challenge without changing their mindset to a mountaineering mindset. They continue to think like skiers and are often blind to the risk.

2. they trust their edges more than a climber trusts their crampon points.

3. they trust their bindings more than a climber trusts their crampon straps.

4. they want it to be scary and difficult, otherwise, why bother (internet, ego, accomplishing a challenge using their skills as a skier/boarder).

5. if a skiing stock broker has a whippet, nothing can go wrong.

6. the internet makes it looks easy, and expects no less from you.

I can think of times in my over enthusiastic past that suffered from some of these influences.
    Life is not lift served.

20 years ago there was a rope tied to a tree above a usually-to-bony-to-ski entrance to a tree shot at Stowe. I have no idea if it's still there.

I completely disagree that fixed ropes on sketchy climbing approaches are in any way "common." They VERY occasionally used in tourist goon areas for both climbing and skiing (ski areas, or beginner crags, for example), but I wouldn't say they're common in technical climbing areas.

If you need a rope, bring it. I don't care if you're in rock shoes or ski boots, there is no shame in hand-over-hand lowering or rappelling something you feel is too dangerous to downclimb. But please, no fucking fixed ropes. They deteriorate quickly and offer a false sense of security. Bring your own rope, leave a minimal rap anchor is you must, and leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I completely disagree that fixed ropes on sketchy climbing approaches are in any way "common." They VERY occasionally used in tourist goon areas for both climbing and skiing (ski areas, or beginner crags, for example), but I wouldn't say they're common in technical climbing areas.

If you need a rope, bring it. I don't care if you're in rock shoes or ski boots, there is no shame in hand-over-hand lowering or rappelling something you feel is too dangerous to downclimb. But please, no fucking fixed ropes. They deteriorate quickly and offer a false sense of security. Bring your own rope, leave a minimal rap anchor is you must, and leave it at that.
    I'm not getting into a 'where do you climb' pissing contest. Except to say I've seen them in the east and in the west, and not just at gumby nOOb crags. But never skiing, so I guess it's not such a crazy idea in any case.

Let me put this more bluntly. Unless you are wearing a harness and clipping into a line for actual fall protection, fixed lines are nothing more than a feel good measure for people that frankly should not be moving in that terrain unroped in the first place. This covers all fixed lines I've encountered skiing and about 50% of the ones I've encountered climbing.

Again, if you need to rope up, there's no shame in that. I've climbed plenty of things with a rope that many free solo, and I've rappeled things that many downclimb. Climb and ski to your abilities, use appropriate gear for your abilities, but don't place deteriorating jank in the outdoors that will be used for the illusion of safety and nothing more. Holding onto a thin rope with one hand is NOT going to save your life if you fuck up, so don't pretend otherwise.

There's not a single one in California because we're fucking awesome
    Hello darkness my old friend

Going bottom to top lends itself to fixed lines, top to bottom can be solved with fixed anchors/rap/pull the rope/don't leave tat on the mountain.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Aren't there fixed lines at Alta for going up from the traverse that leads to the greeley area? It's been so long that i cant remember names.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Silverton.
    yup.
    the only two i've encountered, although i haven't traveled widely.

those caused more problems than not (were in the way).
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Aren't there fixed lines at Alta for going up from the traverse that leads to the greeley area? It's been so long that i cant remember names.
    They're on the approach to High Eddie's.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    What I notice is that skiers tend to accept far higher un-belayed exposure than climbers ever would, particularly on very firm slippery surfaces. Not sure why, but some guesses:

I can think of times in my over enthusiastic past that suffered from some of these influences.
    Interesting thoughts, I'll try to have a better response than this later.

I'm a lift serve skier, with some exceptions but not enough, and have only found two places with a fixed rope. Some times it's been useful in the early/late season and when the route is in the way it only takes a minute to pull it out of the way.

I think there is a fundamental difference in how a skier thinks about gravity that may be part of the reason behind your guesses. A climber works against gravity on the up and the down. In skiing we work against gravity on the up, then play/work with it on the way down.

Heart of Darkness, a steep & skinny chute behind Mt. Superior, has had one in the past. We didn't use it as a primary, too worn. Lots of rap stations in the Wasatch .. Pfeifferhorn, Olympus and probably a lot of others.

Fixed ropes I've encountered both climbing and skiing were often times placed and maintained by local guiding services for their own convenience (for example: Grand Teton, fixed lines going to the lower saddle, Col du Chardonnay, this past year due to conditions the local guide companies had fixed a line from top to bottom, which did significantly speed up the spot that is usually rappelled), but are used by the general public. The two I mention above are totally convenient and probably speed up an otherwise annoying bottle neck on popular routes. But those two I mention above are in super popular, super traveled areas and are maintained by professionals. If I stumbled upon a random fixed rope somewhere off the beaten path in the Tetons, I would probably be very, very leery of it and as a skier prefer to trust my own edges.

But I also don't ski 190 CM skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Franz View Post
    Fixed ropes I've encountered both climbing and skiing were often times placed and maintained by local guiding services for their own convenience (for example: Grand Teton, fixed lines going to the lower saddle, Col du Chardonnay, this past year due to conditions the local guide companies had fixed a line from top to bottom, which did significantly speed up the spot that is usually rappelled), but are used by the general public. The two I mention above are totally convenient and probably speed up an otherwise annoying bottle neck on popular routes. But those two I mention above are in super popular, super traveled areas and are maintained by professionals. If I stumbled upon a random fixed rope somewhere off the beaten path in the Tetons, I would probably be very, very leery of it and as a skier prefer to trust my own edges.

But I also don't ski 190 CM skis.
    Unless I know who placed the rope or bolt, I tend to place my own. If I need a rope there is probably a reason why, and typically I have no idea on the rope or bolt that is there. And yes, I have had people scough at me while I do it. But maybe that is why I am still around to do it?

Anybody have a video of Benny rappelling into Hogan Bowl?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

kirkwood has fixed lines on lookout vista and and two on covered wagon. unless anyone here has actually seen them move in the last two years.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    kirkwood has fixed lines on lookout vista and and two on covered wagon. unless anyone here has actually seen them move in the last two years.
    were those installed after the rope tow things? i don't remember anything there before the rope tow things. I also haven't skied kirkwood since they installed the rope tow things? if i remember right, patrol has fixed anchors in the heart chute area for rescues/extraction.

one of the most annoying things that i've encountered related to fixed lines are fixed chains in a canyon. it really changed and downgraded the technical aesthetic descent. water-filled pothole partner assists became batman-ing up chains. not a popular canyon and still fairly remote (multiday for most, even with boat assist).