Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ^ i was referring to the rope tows, which have become fixed lines up 20 degree slopes.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Unless I know who placed the rope or bolt, I tend to place my own. If I need a rope there is probably a reason why, and typically I have no idea on the rope or bolt that is there. And yes, I have had people scough at me while I do it. But maybe that is why I am still around to do it?
    Guy i used to climb with a little bit was rappelling the Owen-Spalding, decided the dozens of slings in place looked sketchy so he placed his own, sling failed when he was about 10 feet above the Upper Saddle and he broke his leg.

We were top roping off a fixed pin (dumb idea to start with, I know) at Seneca Rocks. The guy who placed the biners and sling said it was a good Lost Arrow. Another friend starts climbing, falls, pulls the pin, and hits the deck. He's fine but the pin hit me in the head--took 4 stitches to close. Turned out to be an old Army soft iron piton with a ring attached. How do you mistake that for a Lost Arrow? 45 years later I still have that piton hanging from my mantle.

I am not a huge fan of fixed ropes, but do like good double bolt anchors with chains or hooks. Old slings are unsightly, but bolts are hard to see from not too far off. I can see the concept for a managed fixed rope on heavily guided routes that are maintained by pros, but believe for the most part if you need a rope you should be carrying a rope.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    ^ i was referring to the rope tows, which have become fixed lines up 20 degree slopes.
    I knew what you were talking about, but my notes show me skiing Lookout Vista T-bar at the beginning and end of March 2014. I rode the lower Covered Wagon handle lift on April 4, 2014, but don't remember seeing the upper one run the last couple of years.

After the metal stairs getting into Delirium Dive end, you had a choice between putting on skis and stepping off at least three railroad tie-size steps, the last one right onto a rock or using a knotted rope and walking with or without skis in better/softer coverage along the right edge. I followed my guide off the steps through the rocks, but still not sure it was the better way to go.

The fixed rope by the chutes under gad zoom I remember being more trouble than they were worth. First time through there I used them and felt really off balance. Each subsequent time I just stayed on my feet and shuffled through there and felt much more in charge. I never felt all that exposed. I think the ropes are there for people that are afraid to core shot their skis on the rooty surface up there.
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...

^^^did not know there was a rope in there. I think I might agree with you on not wanting a rope. Skis be damned.

The Covered Wagon lower rope tow did move one weekend this ear Powdork. My friends rode it. I hiked that zone a number of times this winter, and there was plenty of snow from the December storms to run the lower section it seemed. Cant figure out why they finally turned it in March for just two days. Maybe had to test the gears... Upper tow and tbar never turned this year.

Put me down with the bring your own harness, gear and cord, don't trust unknown gear team. I like the idea of "ski it if you can get to it" adrenelated put out there, allowing for any raps that might be required.

Saw some gents sporting 30 meter 8.5 cords on the Tuckerman Ravine Trail this past Saturday. Wonder where they went, Raymond Cataract maybe? Rope would be a nice way off the end of the snow at the top of that waterfall
    Last edited by robrox; 05-26-2015 at 04:24 PM.
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    ^^^did not know there was a rope in there. I think I might agree with you on not wanting a rope. Skis be damned.
    I like it for getting around the tree sometimes. Then I toss it behind me and let my skis deal with the rest.

I had no idea Kirkwood had two rope tows on covered wagon/holy grail. Weird?

The ropes won't help; the divorce will still be ugly.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I completely disagree that fixed ropes on sketchy climbing approaches are in any way "common." They VERY occasionally used in tourist goon areas for both climbing and skiing (ski areas, or beginner crags, for example), but I wouldn't say they're common in technical climbing areas.

If you need a rope, bring it. I don't care if you're in rock shoes or ski boots, there is no shame in hand-over-hand lowering or rappelling something you feel is too dangerous to downclimb. But please, no fucking fixed ropes. They deteriorate quickly and offer a false sense of security. Bring your own rope, leave a minimal rap anchor is you must, and leave it at that.
    This is bang on target.

Nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by kailas View Post
    Nonsense
    That was useful

remember a rope helping in some weird spot in the trees at snowbird that i don't think i could ever find again. definitely of the coreshot prevention variety. fernie had one this year in one of the saddles. that one was definitely in the way but was well used cos it wasn't very well filled in in there.