Doarama - 3D mapping your adventures

Never heard of this mountain map nerdery until today, but it appears to marry .gpx files (GPS) with Google Earth to produce some pretty nice 3D mapping of where you went. Apparently, all you do is upload your .gpx track (say, ripped from strava), upload to Doarama, and boom.

Here's an example from a descent of Shasta that my buddy sent me. http://www.doarama.com/view/305924

I have no affiliation, and haven't used it yet, but I just thought this was so damn cool I had to share....
    Last edited by meter-man; 05-13-2015 at 01:45 AM.

Slick. Reminds me a bit of Strava's new flyover feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Wow, thanks!
    (And much better for mountain activities than the new Strava version, or the old NG Topo.)

Only drawback for an overnight hut trip:
    https://www.doarama.com/view/306965
    ... is that the video is very true to the time stamps on individual track points, so even though I wasn't recording overnight, the video takes two long overnight breaks at the hut, but you can skip along like with any video (and also easily speed up or slow down the pace to adjust for ascent vs descent).
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

You guys realize My Tracks from Google basically does all this, right? They added a feature a while ago where you can play the track back sped up in Google Earth. It might even be integrated now so you don't have to download 2 whole apps. Or you could add a 3rd or 4th for no reason.
    No one cares about your Strava time. (we should get stickers made up that say that. Like the hippy killer stickers.)
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I can't get a track to play in Earth. It loads in Earth, but no play feature. Android, if that matters.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

You guys realize My Tracks from Google basically does all this, right? They added a feature a while ago where you can play the track back sped up in Google Earth. It might even be integrated now so you don't have to download 2 whole apps. Or you could add a 3rd or 4th for no reason.
    No one cares about your Strava time. (we should get stickers made up that say that. Like the hippy killer stickers.)
    Have you done this or seen it demonstrated? If so, could you post an example? I'd like to see it.

No, no one cares about YOUR Strava time BC you're slow as fuck.

After some googlez, it appears that the play function is a bug that was caused by an update to Earth. The only known workaround is to install an old version, and obviously disable updates for the app.

And an obvious problem with Doarama is that it requires a social media logon. No thanks.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Damn. Well, I haven't even used the damn thing in a while.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.