Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bitch split up with me, get to realign the MT trip...

So, got split up with, just weeks after we bought our plane tickets and reserved the rooms for half a week in West Yellowstone and the other half in Jackson. Flying in and out of Idaho Falls. Rooms are in my name, I forfeit $300ish to cancel. She paid for the plane tix. I'm figuring to pay her for the plane ride and hope she can change hers to something she can use, can't transfer a name, non-refundable thru Expedia....so the ticket is basically mine. Would rather spend some than lose some, so I'm figuring to move ahead with the trip.

That said, where would ya'll recommend I wave a flyrod around while on a solo adventure? Doubt I'll have the funds to hire a float for a day, so I'm figuring to be wading....will be the week before LaborDay, I know some streams get warm that time of year. Also taking the camera as usual, so any off the beaten path, not in the guide books sights? Will be nice to explore the area on my terms for a change...also, does Jackson Hole have lift serve MTB? Might be a nice distraction, might try to hook up with an old riding bud in Missoula, but that's a bit of a day trip.

thanks.

Most of the water in the West Yellowstone area is fantastic, and hard to go wrong on. Hard to say what water temps/flows will be like by then, but it is likely that they'll be a bit warmer and lower than usual.

I'll be living in the park and fishing pretty much every day from the end of this month on, so PM me closer to that time and I might be able to give you some more specific ideas.

Thanks man, we were there last year, stayed outside Gardiner for half a week but didn't get to fish the park at all, lots & lots of sightseeing instead....figuring to change that this year.

Are you staying in town or up by Hebgin Lake? The Madison river and the Madison range is actually more beautiful than the park.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Are you staying in town or up by Hebgin Lake? The Madison river and the Madison range is actually more beautiful than the park.
    Where is this "Hebgin" lake you speak of? I fished the shit out of western MT and never heard of such lake. An here I thought I was in the know.

I'm staying in W.Y. proper...do want to take a day and fish Slough or something up in the Lamar drainage. Then maybe the Henry's Fork also, but haven't looked into the drive, and of course all the water that's right there nearby...

Black canyon of the Yellowstone. Promise you will not forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Where is this "Hebgin" lake you speak of? I fished the shit out of western MT and never heard of such lake. An here I thought I was in the know.
    I suck at teh spellingz
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Black canyon of the Yellowstone. Promise you will not forget it.
    Good advice. Make sure and take home a microchipped shed as well, they love it when you do that

Say I wanted to UPS or USPS Priority ship some rods/reels and a 'road trip' package of coffee fixings and what not....is there good place in Idaho Falls to coordinate that with?

Might ask Jimmy at Jimmy's all season Angler if you can have some stuff shipped/help and and then load up on bugs and what not there. Jimmy's a wealth of knowledge and has one of the best shops you'll ever see.

Oh, and get breakfast at the Campfire Inn on 287, then follow it up the Madison till you're above Quake Lake. Basically between there and Enis is what they meant when they filmed A River Runs Through it, accept they filmed it on the Gallatin, but you know what I mean.
    No longer stuck.

Quake Lake. Basically between there and Enis is what they meant when they filmed A River Runs Through it
    Nope.

Well, not anymore. That shit is built the fuck up.
    No longer stuck.

Yeah, not anymore, since the story is mostly about a completely different river.

And you're in Missoula for chrissakes.

Ah, fuck, It's been a while and I don't really care. Thanks, though.
    No longer stuck.

Ah, fuck, It's been a while and I don't really care. Thanks, though.
    And you don't know what the fuck you are talking about maybe?
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Definitely.
    But I'd still say an overnight from some trailhead up Beaver Creek Rd, maybe, at some alpine lake where you can catch dinner would be sweet. Otherwise, you're just standing around waiting for small animals to torture.
    No longer stuck.

JH does have lift served mtb. They have been putting a lot of working in the trails over the past 3-4 years. I'm not a biker but I can tell you the trails are not long. They do look fun though if you're into the downhill thing. There is plenty of riding outside of the resort too.

I'm happy to try and get out for a day of feeshin if you swing through JH. Float or wade works. More than enough water in the region to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by tomicogs View Post
    I'm staying in W.Y. proper...do want to take a day and fish Slough or something up in the Lamar drainage. Then maybe the Henry's Fork also, but haven't looked into the drive, and of course all the water that's right there nearby...
    Late August isn't prime time for the Henry's. The lower river gets weedy. Fish get sulky due to warmer temps and are wary after two months of constant pressure. Fish in the Harriman section have seen a lot of lines by Labor Day. In fact, it's a bit of a zoo in the Island Park and West Yellowstone area for that entire week leading to the holiday weekend; you'd swear half of SLC drove up in an R.V.. Late summer days at Harriman's can be slow with most action occurring very early or late in the day. Hot and windy days can make for some really slow afternoons.The famous heavy Henry's hatches sputter out for awhile once the pmds conclude in early august. There are still bugs around but not the big hatches that made the Henry's famous for dry fly fishing. If you really want to fish the Henry's in late august, hike into Cardiac Canyon. Tailwaters like the Snake are a good option if you want cooler water and don't mind a little company. My preferred option is going into the steeper sections of freestones that are mostly unwadable and unfishable during runoff. Find pocket waters with enough gradient to "wash out" until the low flows because it's those sort of waters that still have willing, bite ready big trout in late August. If you want a good hike-in lake in the Park that is wade fishable, see below:

http://jimmysflyshop.com/articles/beula-lake/
    Last edited by neckdeep; 05-12-2015 at 08:38 AM.

Rent a bike from Wilson backcountry sports and ride Teton pass

you'd swear half of SLC drove up in an R.V..
    they were all on the upper madison for opening weekend. btw if your friend somehow forgets the oar blades back at home its nice to know people like kelly will leave one outside the shop for a stranger, no questions asked. (oars with blades on them come in handy for late night floats of the west fork)

Oh, and get breakfast at the Campfire Inn on 287, then follow it up the Madison till you're above Quake Lake. Basically between there and Enis is what they meant when they filmed A River Runs Through it, accept they filmed it on the Gallatin, but you know what I mean.
    Amazing breakfast at campfire lodge.

Well, I don't have any idea how good an angler you are, but assuming you're not Lefty leads to one bit of advice. If you ARE Lefty Kreh-like in skills, let us know, the advice will change.

Late summer the Henry's Fork will be quite difficult. I always urge folks to make the drive down to the Gallatin. By late summer, you might be chasing cool water. The Gallatin in the park is meadow water, good hopper water in late summer, but the fish see you coming, so be a little stealthy. Down in the canyon (downstream from Big Sky) there are still hatches, and you might even need to match them. There are a couple fo good flyshops in Big Sky who will konw exactly what's hatching down there, but expect caddis every evening. That's another thing, by late summer in the Rockies, most rivers are having a late evening hatch. If you're not fishing until it's too dark to tie on a fly you're doing it wrong. Also, while you're in West, you should fish the Firehole, but it will probably suck. It gets very warm and the fish move into the tribs, but there remains something ineffable about fishing among the geysers and hotpots and steaming springs, while bison wander through. (BTW, fishing anywhere in the park , check your six periodically, the wildlife does not give a shit about you and it's YOUR job to get out of their way). The Madison in the Park is a favorite of mine, even late summer it seems to do okay, and you're likely to find rising fish at least here and there. Slough Crekk and the Lamar are awesome places, but that's a long drive from West when dealing with the bear jams that characterize summer in the park. See if it's not too late to book a night or two at Roosevelt Lodge. If not, jus tplan on getting out of West very early, and returning very late. Also, when driving in the Park in summer, just accept bear jams as a fact of life. Yes, it's a bunch of dumbass tourists blocking the road so they can harass the wildlife, but there is literally nothing you can do about it. Finally, the Madison, check on local reports closer to your date, but for non-guided without a boat, plan on going to Three Dollar Bridge, and plan on caddis.

I can't help you much with the Jackson Hole part of the trip, but there is lots of info out there on the internet.

Thanks for all of the advice so far, knew this was the place to come!

What's the word on fishing solo in the park/bear country, say if I wanted to hike up into a Lamar-ish drainage? Or that nice looking stretch below Gibbon Falls? Will have bear spray on the hip....pretty much the same as fishing solo elsewhere? be careful, keep your wits along with the added task of checking your 6' often as mentioned above? Easy enough to leave a note with plans for the day on the Facebooks as a precaution...

And something gear related...I'm thinking about revising my system to make it easier to combine fishing & photo gear. I have a nice camera daypack, and I can wear it over a vest for short hikes, or I can stuff shirt and pants pockets if wet wading and stash big stuff in the pack. Anybody have a recommendation for what I guess would be a chest box that would strap/clip to the shoulder straps? something to hold a large fly box and the essentials, tippet, floatants, but easily disconnects so I can access the backpack/camera gear? Figuring to fish some days with the vest and the p&s, others I'm gonna want the dslr & tripod along...plus lunch, jacket, etc.