Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Ski Chile 2015

As the "Lonquimay circuit" is one of my favorites in Chile, with lots of potential ski exploring to be had, I will expand upon it. The road from Victoria passes through Curacautin, on to Malalcahuello, the local tourist town (check out Suizandina lodge). Corralco lies nearby, and the tunnel to Lonquimay town as well:

This is Pehuenche territory, with lots of indigenous communities still handling their animals and collecting Araucaria Araucana (Monkey Puzzle tree) pine nuts.

From the quaint Lonquimay town you can access the road up to the abandoned Arenales ski area, in the Las Raices range, or head further north to the Lanco range and the attractive Las Mellizas mountain.

The circuit route takes a turn south before reaching Lonquimay, just after Sierra Nevada town, heading up the La Fusta road and over a low pass to Galletue Lake. Often there is snow on this road, but it is normally plowed. This was the scene in early Sept 2011:

The map of this second part of the circuit:

For the adventurous, this road can give you access to the back of the Sierra Nevada, and to the east, the Heumules range (2,100m), here with Galletue lake:

The road then follows the barren high plateau past Batea Mahuida Volcano (1,900m), a long-extinct flat topped volcano with a couple of lakes on the border of Argentina. There is even a small ski area just over the border from Lago Icalma, in Villa Pehuenia, but it is a pretty easy ski up from near Icalma. Here seen from the pampa near Galletue:

Not far past Icalma, heading back west now, a turnoff to the left will take you up the Caren river valley towards the decapitated mass of the V Sollipulli (2,200m). From the Conaf park guards office, a trail leads up through the forest to the crater, which is 4 km wide and filled with ice. This volcano erupted big time 3,000 years ago, and more recently a minor crater appeared 700 years ago. A dome camp (with hot tub) receives visitors through the winter and organizes excursions to the crater (http://sollipulli.cl/ingles/actividad.html).

The pavement returns once you get down to Melipeuco town, another up and coming mountain town, where a right turn will take you into the Conguillio National Park south access, and the eastern lava fields of V Llaima.

Here the Sendas Conguillio has cool cabins (with hot tubs!), and organizes tours with or without quads to the surrounding mountains (http://www.parquenacionalconguillio....guillio-lodge/).

After all this, Temuco will look like civilization! If you are continuing on to Villarrica/Pucon, you can take a short cut on a dirt road from Cunco to Pedregoso, and on to Villarrica town.

A quick update on the weather scene, and projected opening dates.

The forecast for the central zone has gone back to very little snow for the next 9 days, and the precipitation deficit is 80%. Snowmaking will not make up for the bone dry climate, so now opening dates as yet.

Nevados de Chillan has been getting snow recently, 55cm at the base. They are out packing the runs, and now project opening June 25. Lets hope that happens, as the deficit there is running 40%, and there is little snow in the forecast.

Further south, rain has been falling heavily, but it is now accumulating as snow, with about 60 cm at 1,500m in the V Villarrica area. The scene today on V Osorno was this (a webcam shot, click it on it):

Corralco has set the opening date for June 20.

More snow is coming for the south, and the further south, the bigger the dumps, so it will probably mean snow over the border in Argentina too.

The bad news is that the Pucon/Villarrica ski area will probably not open this year, due to volcanic activity. The risk level is back down to yellow, but the no-go area is now a radius of 3 km around the crater, plus the road up to the ski area which passes through an area currently defined as a lahar risk.

Sledding outfits are growing, but you need to plan ahead and contact them first. Here are some I am aware of:

http://www.sledchile.com/home-esp.html (Corralco area)
    http://www.dostiempos.cl/ (Central area)
    Franz Baehr (Lonquimay) +5699731333
    http://www.parquenacionalconguillio.cl/
    http://www.corralco.com/en/node/484
    http://chilebackcountry.com/site/jaw...canes-del-sur/ (mainly touring)
    http://www.lobosadventure.com/ (central/southern Chile, also do touring and Heli, based in Pucon)

Corralco just published this photo and announced a limited opening date for June 13. Things are shaping up!

anyone have any good leads on airline tickets in aug/sept? haven't seen anything less than $850. Was hoping for <$600 :/

A couple photos from websites today:

Volcan Osorno

Corralco and Volcan Lonquimay

Lets hope the snow continues to fall!

Back to the volcanoes.

The Villarrica chain starts with V Villarrica (2,800m, too active):

Ski area stats (area now closed from volcanic activity):
    Latitude 39,2°
    Km to Stgo 809
    Base m 1.247
    Top m 1.874
    Vertical m 627
    Base ft 4.091
    Top ft 6.148
    Vertical ft 2.057
    Total lifts 7
    Dbl chairs 4
    Surface lifts 3

Don´t let the number of lifts and vertical rise fool you, this is a funky ski area with mostly intermediate runs. The highest chair lift does not open normally, so most of that vertical is fiction. It is a great ski up and down, and there are lots of natural features for those willing to tour or hike around.

It is followed going east by Quetrupillan (2,400m, last blew 1,600 years ago), which is a hard to access volcano which may imply bushwacking up from the end of the road from Palguin.

Then comes Lanin (3,700m, last blew 2,100 years ago), on the border of Argentina, and accessible from the international highway which is unpaved on the last stretch.

Further south, there is a private reserve known as Huilo Huilo, which features the Mocho-Choshuenco volcanoes (2,400m). It has an insignificant ski lift, and sleds, but this means there is a reasonably good access road, and it is a straight forward ski up. Spot the swiss tourers here:

Continuing south, the Puyehue National Park has several volcanoes. Heading east from Osorno town, is the Antillanca ski area, at the foot of several craters, the principal being V Casablanca. Ski area stats:

Latitude 40,5°
    Km to Stgo 1032
    Base m 1.236
    Top m 1.700
    Vertical m 464
    Base ft 4.055
    Top ft 5.577
    Vertical ft 1.522
    Total lifts 4
    Dbl chairs 1
    Surface lifts 3

There is a nice little lodge at the base, and this area has either lots of snow or lots of rain. Here are some photos of an epic ski day in early October 2011.

Heading up V Casablanca (2,000m, last blew 900 years ago), with V Puntiagudo (2,500m, inactive, difficult access), and V Osorno (2,700m):

V Casablanca:

The view north from Casablanca to V Puyehue (2,200m, accessed from the paved international road to Bariloche), and the spewing Caulle chain:

Cerro Tronador (3,500m) which is a several day trip from the Chilean side:

And last, but not least, is the magnificent Volcan Osorno (2,700m, last active 1835), which is accessed from the ski area on the southwest side:

Ski area stats:
    Latitude 41,1°
    Km to Stgo 1084
    Base m 1.230
    Top m 1.760
    Vertical m 530
    Base ft 4.035
    Top ft 5.774
    Vertical ft 1.739
    Total lifts 4
    Dbl chairs 2
    Surface lifts 2

Looks like so much fun!

So tomorrow is opening day for Corralco! that sounds spectacular! thanks for all the infos!
    Just watched this short flick and got real stoked! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u8ef_IROAA

Ok, now for a question. Scoping zones around the Santiago Region and south for some adventure I've come to a few E of Puma Lodge, it appears the some roads head out from the lodge and provide pretty close up access to a few really saucy looking zones. Are these roads I'm seeing on google earth or just horse trails and trekking trails. Everyonce and a while I get a blue square that gives me a picture of a vehicle but if the pictures location is accurate is always shaky. Basically with a decent clearance vehicle and some cowboy driving could I get up most of these roads? Am I allowed or are their restriction in place? Season to be out there would be Oct. Any back road maps I should be looking into? I tried the link to topo maps on the first page and none worked, not sure if its the link or my browser as I have been having issues lately. Also, if your around Chile in Oct I may be somewhere you are and we should link up so I can buy you many cerveza's!
    Last edited by LSeed; 06-14-2015 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSeed View Post
    Ok, now for a question. Scoping zones around the Santiago Region and south for some adventure I've come to a few E of Puma Lodge, it appears the some roads head out from the lodge and provide pretty close up access to a few really saucy looking zones. Are these roads I'm seeing on google earth or just horse trails and trekking trails. Everyonce and a while I get a blue square that gives me a picture of a vehicle but if the pictures location is accurate is always shaky. Basically with a decent clearance vehicle and some cowboy driving could I get up most of these roads? Am I allowed or are their restriction in place? Season to be out there would be Oct. Any back road maps I should be looking into? I tried the link to topo maps on the first page and none worked, not sure if its the link or my browser as I have been having issues lately. Also, if your around Chile in Oct I may be somewhere you are and we should link up so I can buy you many cerveza's!
    Many unnamed mountain roads you see on google earth are either private and blocked (mining or hydro), not maintained and wrecked by landslides, or rough and tumble at best in winter. Heading up the Cachapoal watershed you mention, there are several branches you can go. The first to the north (left), Rio Pangal, takes you up to about 1,500m and a high lengthy valley with lots of potential if you want to hike. I drove up it many years ago with no hassle.

The road into Puma lodge is actually a private road, and you need permission. Going up the Las Leñas valley, which is the one you mention, Andeshandbook says the road is bad in the winter. It should be better by late September, but there may be lots of river crossings. Here is what they say about access just past the Rio Pangal turnoff:

"In this place you must submit an access permit signed by Mr. Maximiliano Del Real estate administrator "Sierra Nevada" ranch. Once the permit in hand now follow the road along the Cachapoal river for an hour approx. To enter the estate Sierra Nevada requires a 4x4 vehicle, due to bad road conditions and difficult maintenance. Once you reach the river Cachapoal crossing with Las Lenas you now must present a signed permission from Don Sergio Cuevas, the estate administrator of Las Leñas ranch (find the phone in the phone book of Rancagua).

And past the gate of the estate Las Leñas you must register with Carabineros de Chile (remember this is border crossing, everyone must have an identity card). From here by car it takes approximately half an hour (4 hrs. walk) to reach the first lagoon at 2207 meters. 70º12'10 ''; 34º24'26 ''. About a kilometer before the lagoon of Borgollones, quite relaxing place to stop along the way or spend the night in case you are walking. In the Laguna del Yeso the road forks; to the right leads to a limestone mine (Codelco) and to the left the upper Lenas valley. Go up the Leñas about 20 minutes, until a point where the road is cut and can not go forward in the vehicle."

The cops, or "Carabineros" are usually quite accommodating, but don´t try to fool around with them. I was in there camping once and had no trouble. Puma lodge does heli tourers in for day tours, and maybe even with camping gear, but you should phone them to see what they can offer and expect to pay dearly.

Going further up the Cachapoal valley you will run into a metal gate:
    http://www.panoramio.com/photo/98924...=kh.google.com

Another interesting valley, just south of the mass of mountains that are part of the Puma lodge playground, is the Tinguiririca valley where the Volcan Tinguiririca (4,300m) is, the Termas del Flaco, and the someday-to-be Altos del Padre sled operation (http://es.snow-forecast.com/resorts/AltodelPadre). This road should be open to 1,700m.

And just south of that, is the Rio Teno, where you should be able to get to about 1,800m where the cops are as this is an international road in season. I went up and over the pass there in December once, illegally as the road was blocked with snow (didn´t stop us). If you want more info, and a google earth ski route map created by yours truly, pm me and I will be happy to provide it to you. You can also reach the Volcan Peteroa/Planchon from here. This area is 37km from Las Leñas in a straight line, and there is talk (which is cheap) of a tunnel connecting Rio Teno to Las Leñas.....

A quick update on the climate in the central zone. There is zero snow, and nothing of importance in the forecast to the end of June. This may sound terrible, and the drought is serious, but take note of the optimism of the ski area association which says "since 1968, 44% of the years had opening dates after June 25, and 25% after July 1."

I have seen the season become incredible in July. Some examples:

1978 was a disaster year with barely enough snow to attend the kids on winter holidays in July. At the end of the holidays, about July 23, it started to snow, and blow, and rain, and didn't stop for 10 days. After that we had a 2-5m base everywhere.

1987 had marginal conditions at the end of June. From July 4 to August 15 it snowed 25 days, and the ski areas were open until the end of October.

2002 was a mostly dry year up to the beginning of June. Then it snowed hard for 3 days straight, and there was a 1.5m base at the bottom after.

Keep optimistic!

The latest weather forecast from meteo chile is now going back to "normal" precipitation in general:

Just in case anyone thinks the fun ends with Volcan Osorno, there is actually lots more to be had in the next 1,500km going south. "Patagonia", that much abused geographic term, seems to migrate further north every year, but for me at least, it starts about where the Panam paved highway ends in Chile, that is, Puerto Montt. So, here are some summer (January) volcano and mountain shots from the stretch from there to the northern icefield south of Coyhaique:

Volcan Yate (2,100m) from the Seno de Reloncavi (ocean inlet):

Volcan Michimahuida (2,400m) looking south from Fiordo Comau:

Volcan Michimahuida looking north from near Termas de Amarillo:

Volcan Melimoyu (2,400) from Rio Palena:

Lago General Carrera and the northern icecap:

Northern icecap and ventisquero Gualos from the Golfo Elefantes:

Monte San Valentín (3,900m) north face:

Rio Baker and northern icecap:

Skiing is to be had near Coyhaique, at the El Fraile ski area https://www.facebook.com/fraileski. For ski touring near Coyhaique: http://www.whiteworldfreeride.com/ For the fat wallets, heli ski off a yacht can be had with the boys from: http://www.lobosadventure.com/

Or the real adventurers you can just wing it, and head to Cerro Castillo or many hardly touched destinations in this part of the world. A couple lads from wildsnow did an epic journey last year, which included skiing near Fitzroy and Torres del Paine, see their blog here: https://www.wildsnow.com/14444/lago-...ring-fitz-roy/ and here: https://www.wildsnow.com/14479/lago-...velluda-chile/ and here: https://www.wildsnow.com/14543/torre...kiing-touring/

A quick update on snow, or the lack of, in Chile.

The bleak vision from Santiago of the 3 valleys:

The effective extent of snowmaking is clearly seen around the La Parva and Colorado towns.

In contrast, Corralco claims to have around 1m of snow:

Villarrica also has a reasonable base, and now says they hope to open the lower lifts, which are without the 3km radius no-go zone, someday. V Osorno got rained on at the base.

No snow in the 9 day forecast for the central zone, and very little further south as well. Where art thou now, El Niño?

I'm pretty sure El Nino grew up, became an adult, and no longer likes to have any fun or help anyone out.
    Last edited by _Aaron_; 06-23-2015 at 01:30 AM.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

1997 was a strong El Nino and a huge snow year in the Andes. I wonder if the season began slowly like this, or normally.

So far, this year is most like an intense La Niña. El Niño normally means frequent precipitation starting early in the rainy season. Current precipitation deficits are:

Santiago -86%
    Chillan -53%
    Temuco -17%
    Puerto Montt -31%

So much for ENSO predictions.

My experience says, starting around now, the probability of the ski season in the central zone "shaping up" drops about 2% per day. Thus, if by the beginning of August, there is little or no snow in the central zone, it is highly unlikely that it will turn around and be good for the rest of the season. I have never seen here what happened in Banff this year, when the best skiing was at the season end in April. Sorry folks, but we have to be realistic. On the other hand, it is not unknown for extreme storms to deposit large volumes of snow in just a few days, especially in July. So lets keep hoping for one of those "events"...

For the south of Chile, the situation is different, as they get much more precipitation and the main question is the freezing level. So those who are committed to coming to the central zone should start to think about heading south.

Western Pacific is getting active. Models see a big change in the pattern.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ecmwf_tot_qpf_samerica_33.png 
Views:	182 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	167961

Quote Originally Posted by 5B View Post
    Western Pacific is getting active. Models see a big change in the pattern.
    That change better hurry up: I'm already somewhere between Atlanta and Santiago!
    Well, okay, so it's mainly a business trip, but still hoping to squeeze in Friday, Saturday, and dawn patrol Sunday at Chillan (especially with a certain someone from this thread).
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Even Casey couldn't help me find the snow today:

More barren pictures here:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9664838&type=3

Amazing to imagine though what this place must be like with lots of snow!

The answer this year is Argentina....
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    The answer this year is Argentina....
    Mainly different shades of ugly just about everywhere, especially at lower elevations.

Las Leñas:

Volcan Osorno in a dust storm:

Corralco looking not too bad (hard snow at the bottom):

Catedral with old snow:

Ditto Chapelco:

East side of Llaima, not bad above 2,000m:

No webcams in Chillan, but very limited lifts/runs and only 35cm at the top....

Been burned before trusting snow-forecast, but at least it suddenly became more encouraging. At the top elevations, there is lots on the way from 4-9 days out:

However, consider the difference with the bottom elevations, with the freezing level rising in particular 6-9 days out:

Having skied Lonquimay and Llaima the past 2 days, I can officially confirm that there is a reasonably good base in the Araucania region of Chile. With a few cm of fresh from thursday, Friday was a bluebird day and Corralco was fully operational. However, the hot weather of a week before froze the base solid, and the wind drifted the powder into small drifts and scoured the rest. The base would be 30cm bottom and 100+cm top. Some ridge lines had consistent drifts, here Jonathan getting his, with Llaima, Villarrica, and Sierra Nevada in the background:

Ski patrollers, patrolling:

Toured up the a small face south of the resort and got the best snow of the day:

Last edited by Casey E; 07-05-2015 at 10:05 AM.

Next day we braved the dirt road into Conguillio in my 4 Runner, and got a bit above the snowline (1,200m there) on the lava flow below the north face of Llaima. Once again the conditions were best on the lower slopes, with ice on the upper 1,100m, so no summiting again.

Jonathan feeling small:

Had a great view of Tolhuaca and Lonquimay from the subsidiary cone, even got some monkey puzzle tree skiing in, and finally, yours truly toasts (with some Chilean microbrew) the Chilean soccer team for winning the Copa America!

Huge thanks to Casey for, well pretty much everything!
    I would write more but I'm currently on a bus back to Santiago almost seven hours into my thirty hour return journey home.
    So for now here are a few quick pictures of Casey skiing, all at Corralco except for the Monkey Puzzle trees at Lliama.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1436116860023.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	168067   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1436116874837.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	168068   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1436116892312.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	168069   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1436116908002.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	168070   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1436116923453.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	168071