SLC Plumber/Handyman Mags - HW Heater Replacement

Any mags have this sort of repair dialed? Gf's getting quotes that are not very appealing, up to $450 for labor alone. I'm planning to buy it and have it on site. Labor should only be needed to disconnect and connect. I can manage disposal of the dead unit.

natural gas unit, 40 or 50gal tank
    main level access

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    done a few
    aint rocket science less ya mythbuster the release pressure overflow and create one
    damn $450
    will work for vape pens of significantly less value
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Very cool SFB, the only issue I'm thinking of so far is that my gf wants a 40gal tank to replace the outgoing 50gal tank. I'm thinking this may cause alignment issues on the incoming tank. Worst case scenario I can overrule and buy the 50gal tank for easier installation/fitting on existing piping. Will PM shortly, ty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    Very cool SFB, the only issue I'm thinking of so far is that my gf wants a 40gal tank to replace the outgoing 50gal tank. I'm thinking this may cause alignment issues on the incoming tank. Worst case scenario I can overrule and buy the 50gal tank for easier installation/fitting on existing piping. Will PM shortly, ty.
    Yeah, this one isn't too bad. I'm the worlds worst handyman and I managed to do a switch-out myself. If I remember right, getting it to vent properly was the crux.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    I've never seen the plumbing or gas line up. Every manufacturer puts the inlet and outlet in a sightly different place. On the last one (I paid some one to do) the inlet was at the bottom (this removes the dip tube inside the tank). Gas is easier since everyone uses a section of flex tubing but you still need a permit and inspection.

If you have room for a 50gal then get a 50gal. You don't save any money going a little smaller.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Ah the classic conundrum. Can't do it myself, but don't want to pay the guy with insurance, years of experience, tools, vans etc to do it.

I did mine myself, filed a permit and had it checked by the inspector. No issues.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Quote Originally Posted by char View Post
    Ah the classic conundrum. Can't do it myself, but don't want to pay the guy with insurance, years of experience, tools, vans etc to do it.
    What I get is NO experience and NO tool. It's the rookies that get sent out to install tanks. I had one junior "plumber" who couldn't solder pipe. Never had to -- it's all PEX these days.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

you're supposed to file a permit and get an inspection? For a water heater?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    It's cool the same guy that changes your bike tire took care of the permit and the inspection.

Technically yes, at least where I was living at the time. (Might be a "repair" in kind in other locations) And if you do swap it yourself and it burns the house down...
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    if your replacin a water heater i doubt your dealing w/ pex
    and juinor crack back musta been only doing new construction
    if ya want me to assist you in dyi your water heater
    and possibly resoldering a pipe or two
    i return the pm w/ digits
    450 is way to much to ask for that little amount of work
    reguardless of the cost of your doing business
    the economy sure rebounded nicely
    the guy who did our kitchen cabinets
    wanted twice what he charged for a couple bathroom cabinets 4 years ago
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

SLC Plumber/Handyman Mags - HW Heater Replacement

Appreciate the help. Neighbor did some troubleshooting tonight and it was just the pilot light, for now. It's 10yo so it's past due. My girlfriend was right and I was wrong, pushing to just get the new one and install it.

The cause was most likely the opposite side neighbor working on an investment unit. He did some work behind the walls over the weekend, may have turned off or interrupted gas at some point.

Did ours at work a couple months ago. Electric, so not sure about gas line and venting. Water lines did not match up, a pipe cutter and shark bite lines (http://m.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-3...8LF/202812120/) made it stupid simple. Contractor wanted $1200 to replace and "update to code". Fuck that. $230 and a couple hours, including tank draining and such, was all it took.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by char View Post
    I did mine myself, filed a permit and had it checked by the inspector. No issues.
    You seriously filed a permit for a water heater? Ha!

OP, you're right that these jokers want too much money. $450 just for labor? I've done several electric ones myself, which are a total piece of cake and I can get done in like 30 minutes, and most of that time is because I have to wait for the old one to drain. What sucks is when they're clogged with minerals. THEN you might have to get crafty, but whatever. It just takes extra time.

I wasn't 100% sure how to do my propane one, so I called my local plumber who charged me around $40 or $50 for the labor. Unless your heater's in a tricky spot like they can be in some older houses or condos, then yeah, don't let these clowns take you for a ride on the labor. In most cases, water heaters are super easy to swap out and won't take long.

Just food for thought for when that time inevitably comes that you DO have to swap it out.

Any time you touch a gas line you need a permit. For the water heater itself? It depends. Most munis around here don't care about replacing stuff but some care deeply about every faucet and sink (and revenue).

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    Any time you touch a gas line you need a permit. For the water heater itself? It depends. Most munis around here don't care about replacing stuff but some care deeply about every faucet and sink (and revenue).
    Laws like that were meant to be broken.