Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What's the story on the poma at Loveland?

I've searched the master plan and online and can't find any details. The platters, cable and shives are gone. Is it being replaced?

Poma's done. Chair 2 is being split into two chair lifts. One running from the base to current mid load. Other running up the old Poma line to the current Ch. 2 top location.

Hate see 2 split, but might make sense for wind?

kinda sad, it used to be nice on those blasting windy days when they ran the poma

I think splitting chair 2 is a good thing. I'd be nice if the lower half let people off at a place where kids could get to chair 6 without having to go up hill. Splitting the chair will also make it easier for beginners to lap the 2 lower green runs, without slowing down the upper lift.

Does Loveland have any plans to slow their lifts down? Because those things are rockets!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Does Loveland have any plans to slow their lifts down? Because those things are rockets!
    I laffed.

Any plans for another Ridge lift?

master plan...
    http://www.skiloveland.com/Loveland%...ter%20Plan.pdf

b. Lift 10 and the Ridge Surface Lift
    Lift 10 is planned, in an alignment directly above Lift 8, to access The Ridge which is
    currently accessible only by hiking from the top of Lift 9. Installation of Lift 10 would
    convert this terrain off of The Ridge to lift-served. The terrain off the lift is very popular with
    Loveland skiers, and Lift 10 is expected to be well used, particularly on powder days and in
    early morning spring skiing conditions (the lift is south-facing). Lift 10 is planned to be a
    fixed-grip triple with a capacity of 1,000 people per hour, to regulate the numbers of skiers
    on the terrain. The planned top terminal elevation is over 12,900 feet, which would make it
    the highest elevation lift at Loveland (and in the country). With a vertical rise of about 970
    feet, and a slope length of about 3,700, it would serve open bowl terrain. Power is planned
    to be installed underground in conjunction with the construction of the planned mountain
    road that accesses the bottom terminal of Lift 10.
    The planned Ridge surface lift would also be used to access more of The Ridge. Unlike
    Lift 10, it would not provide any repeat-skiing opportunities. Instead, it would be used in
    conjunction with Lift 9 to provide easier access to the portion of The Ridge to the south of
    Lift 9. Skiers would ski/hike along The Ridge, and then use the surface lift to gain access to a
    higher point along The Ridge. Due to the remoteness and the low power requirement of this
    short lift, the power supply will be self-contained with this lift installation. Options for this
    are currently being researched, but examples of propane powered surface lifts exist in the
    ski industry

I don't see Lift 10 happening, at least not in the alignment shown in the master plan. You're gonna throw a chairlift straight up a major avalanche path (Marmot)? Riiiiiight...

Plus, in the proposed alignment, you'd have to ride Lift 1 or 2a, then Lift 4, then Lift 8, then FINALLY Lift 10. Fuck that noise.

A better alignment (though longer and more expensive lift) would be up Field of Dreams, with the bottom terminal low enough to access from 4. But that wouldn't accomplish Loveland's dream of no hiking ever.

All the new lifts will be fixed grip lifts operating at similar speeds to current ones, designed specifically to limit your ability to enjoy yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    All the new lifts will be fixed grip lifts operating at similar speeds to current ones, designed specifically to limit your ability to enjoy yourself.
    awesome. will they be installing fans on top of each lift tower? Those chairs need more breezes, it gets pretty stifling on the ride up.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

awesome. will they be installing fans on top of each lift tower? Those chairs need more breezes, it gets pretty stifling on the ride up.
    That's a good thought, they should totally do that.

Just for trivia purposes, I was told by a Loveland patrol person that the Poma was purchased from ABasin, where it was first installed.

Looking back, when a mountain establishes a cat run in a certain area, especially when it's free or cheap to ticket and pass holders, one can expect a lift up to that area in a year or two. Unfortunately, my 2015 attempt to ride that cat resulted in a meat sled down. Hopefully that lift isn't up next year.
    The stuff I would like to see lift or cat served is that stuff to your right from the ridge down as you ride chair 8.

I don't see Lift 10 happening, at least not in the alignment shown in the master plan. You're gonna throw a chairlift straight up a major avalanche path (Marmot)? Riiiiiight...

Plus, in the proposed alignment, you'd have to ride Lift 1 or 2a, then Lift 4, then Lift 8, then FINALLY Lift 10. Fuck that noise.

A better alignment (though longer and more expensive lift) would be up Field of Dreams, with the bottom terminal low enough to access from 4. But that wouldn't accomplish Loveland's dream of no hiking ever.
    Once there though you could presumably lap either just 10 or 10 & 8. And considering it'll be shut down for wind/avy so much best to keep it as short and cheap as possible. The added benefit of tucking it away is that it'll keep at least a few people from making the journey and will delay the destruction of the soft turns.

Running a lift up avy terrain isn't a big deal, just protect the bottom.

Gondola or tram from base area to Marmot would be world class...

but why do that when it can be four slow lifts instead?

Quote Originally Posted by smitchell333 View Post

There's the true Loveland spirit!

lots of places have chairs running thru avy paths, that won't be an impediment.

Quote Originally Posted by blazes_boylan View Post
    lots of places have chairs running thru avy paths, that won't be an impediment.
    I'm really having trouble thinking of one that goes right up a large, heavily windloaded bowl, that slides regularly. And I've been to a lot of the major ski areas in the Rockies.

Temerity chair at Highlands is the closest example I can think of, but that terrain doesn't experience nearly the wind loading that Marmot does.
    The gondy at JHMR is threatened by avalanches from above, and the top station has been heavily damaged at least once in the last few years. Expensive location. Everything else is well protected.

This is also in the master plan, "Offer guided backcountry and snowcat tours across approximately 1,000 acres onthe slopes of Mt. Trelease, Western Slope of Mt. Trelease, and Dry Gulch."

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    I've searched the master plan and online and can't find any details. The platters, cable and shives are gone. Is it being replaced?
    I clicked on this thread totally thinking it was some sort of inside joke or innuendo from ^^^. Although slightly disappointed with the subject matter of this thread, I think a lot of the ideas in the master plan are exciting if unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by smitchell333 View Post

That will happen when Vail finally buys the place.

There's the true Loveland spirit!
    Yep...They oughta put in some high speed lifts...track the place out in 45 minutes instead of the 90 minutes it currently takes. No one's stopping anyone from driving further for high speed laps. I hate cheap passes also.

I'm really having trouble thinking of one that goes right up a large, heavily windloaded bowl, that slides regularly. And I've been to a lot of the major ski areas in the Rockies.

Temerity chair at Highlands is the closest example I can think of, but that terrain doesn't experience nearly the wind loading that Marmot does.
    The gondy at JHMR is threatened by avalanches from above, and the top station has been heavily damaged at least once in the last few years. Expensive location. Everything else is well protected.
    At Loveland chairs 1 and 9 go up avy terrain. Breck has E chair and Imperial. Copper has a few, as do Snowbird, Alta and Big Sky just to name a few. Not sure if they are necessarily safer than the proposed location of 10 but they certainly prove that avy terrain doesn't rule a lift going right up the middle.

Anywhere up north gates getting a lift is stupid and a large waste of money. Marmot saddle and face in the recent years, is not "on" that often, field of dreams is small...opened in Jan this year.....only a day or two was worth it, then off for a while, plus not that big of an area to matter. It is a fast hike. 13010 did not open often the past 3 years.

Hell, they could better position and lengthen 8 and have more access for pass holders.

Monday, I had fresh lines all day, until I left just before closing. why would anyone want to make it like Brek?
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by blazes_boylan View Post
    This is also in the master plan, "Offer guided backcountry and snowcat tours across approximately 1,000 acres onthe slopes of Mt. Trelease, Western Slope of Mt. Trelease, and Dry Gulch."
    Please, let's not.....
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"