Torn UCL in thumb - recovery question

It's been a little over 6 weeks since surgery for a torn UCL in my thumb, and almost two weeks since the removable spica splint was taken off. Luckily I was able to get it fixed only a couple days after the injury. I'll be starting 4 weeks of OT next wednesday.

I was told to expect a lot of stiffness - but the MCP joint still feels pretty much rock solid and can't be moved independently to do that hinging motion. The ortho was pretty serious about me moving it as much as possible once the splint came off, but even just trying to get that hinge going with my other hand isn't doing much. Is that anything to worry about as far as where I am in the recovery?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Welcome to the club. Tore mine in 2010. Had it repaired and immobilized with a screw for 4 weeks I think. Pin removed under local and the surgeon CRANKED my thumb through the full range of motion right there on the OR table. Holy fuck did that hurt. Like a 12 on the pain scale. Never really saw stars/fainted for a second before that moment. After that he had me move it as much as possible and started intense PT.

This is where many surgeons/PTs disagree. Some (like my first surgeon) claim you need to move it as much as possible as soon as possible to keep it from getting stiff. Others say to let it heal and ease back into motion. I guess everyone is different. I developed a lot of scar tissue. Which required 3 more surgeries of the next 3 years to keep cleaning out the area. Maybe its just my body. Maybe its because I work with my hands a lot. IDK. Finally ended up just having that joint fused permanently and it was the best decision yet. That joint is really not needed at all.

Anyway. Long story short. You definitely want to get it moving, but not to the point that it hurts a lot. Do EVERYTHING your PT tells you to do. The home exercises, etc. Just listen to your body. If it hurts really bad or gets swollen doing PT ease back. Pretty sure my first surgeon fucked me since he was convinced that I had to move it as much as possible despite pain and swelling.

Good luck. You should be mostly recovered within a month or 2.