Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nepal Everest Quake

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...uake-live.html

What a terrible time for this to happen on Everest. Condolences to the Nepalese people and families of these climbers
    Last edited by Ski to Be; 04-25-2015 at 10:37 PM.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Sounds really bad. It was much more powerful than the Haiti quake and there are similar building standards in Nepal and Haiti.

Really hoping the people I know over there are OK.

yep…

among other things

Maybe a good place for the latest climbing coverage?

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/everest/2015-coverage/

Wonder how the Sherpas will react to this? Climbing Everest might go back towards adventure/daredevil status.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Imagine if the epicenter hadn't been 100 miles from Everest.

You know, people, a whole lot more people died in Katmandu and environs. It's not just a tragedy for the western climbers.

Whoa, sounds nuts in that whole area. Sounds like a lot of people in Nepal are dead.

I was just reading about Everest and the abundant crowds as of late. Hope everyone is alright up there, but at the same time, maybe some things need to change there. The whole place seems to have turned into a bought and paid for adventure for rich people.

And for each that died, 50 are hurt and 1000 are hurting. And I just went outside to look at sunset lit frosted mountains and saw a 15 y o couple skipping down the road in the sun seeing only each other. It's a weird world.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You know, people, a whole lot more people died in Katmandu and environs. It's not just a tragedy for the western climbers.
    More people died in India than on Everest.

I don't know much about the routing out there, but if anyone tires to summit Everest in the next few weeks they are complete assholes.

Every able, and responsible, person there should be helping with the rescue effort.

If I was there, I'd had shit.
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    That's moderately respectable.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    And for each that died, 50 are hurt and 1000 are hurting. And I just went outside to look at sunset lit frosted mountains and saw a 15 y o couple skipping down the road in the sun seeing only each other. It's a weird world.
    It's such a gorgeous spring day here today, warm and breezy, everything blooming. Definitely one of those days where you wonder a little more than usual about our strange, beautiful, cruel world.

death toll up to 2000 now, seems like a lot of communication is happening on facebook, emails aren't going through very well. most of my connections have checked in on the facebook nepal earthquake app thing but a couple haven't yet. I suppose it's just human but these things hit so much harder when you've been there, know someone or have some other connection. one of the people I've worked with in ktm told me a couple of years ago that she lives in the suburbs because an earthquake in the inner city would be so hugely destructive. it's like a city of matchboxes stacked on top of each other.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

With routes between camps destroyed all the climbers with no skills are going to have to find a way down, or wait for one. Any reports how may people are trapped above base camp?
    Wife just got the email that her cousin is in Nepal, no word from him yet, hopefully he gets the word out soon he is okay.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

I just got a call early this morning from a research associate who's from Nepal and who's whole family lives in a small village outside of Kathnandu. He was asking for money to help pay for an emergency flight home to there (expensive!!!!!! X 2). Sounds bad. Lots of comm out... Very few sat phones. Of course I'm gonna loan/give him the money...for what else is money for but to help someone in need. I might loan him an old Iridium sat phone but I don't even know if that system is still up or not....haven't used it in years!

I wish luck and hope to the people of Nepal and my coworker's family.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    I think this guy did.

Not good, vibes to all and hopes for many successful rescues in days to come.
    watch out for snakes

Very little aid has reached the region of Gorkha which was near the epicenter, dude I know said Singla was leveled maybe 5% of the buildings were left standing.

This is going to get alot worse before it gets better.....vibes for sure
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Quote Originally Posted by ArmadaBC View Post
    vibes for sure
    I think they've had enough vibes.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I think they've had enough vibes.
    That was a poor choice in words......

Lamtang gaun is apparently totally gone, trekking people are likely familiar with it.

Not bs, msf friends on location.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    So gnarly. This one cut way too close, a close friend was hiking in the area of Gorak Shep, but luckily she and her group came out okay. My heart literally sinks for all the others affected.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmadaBC View Post
    This is going to get alot worse before it gets better.....vibes for sure
    Sadly most likely true. There must be countless remote mountain communities hurting right now with access in and out cutoff due to landslides etc. Life is hard enough out there for the locals, and now this. Vibes.

Anyone interested in assisting Nepali people recover from the recent earthquake please consider donating to See Change Foundation a 501(c)3.

http://www.scfnepal.org/#about

https://www.facebook.com/SeeChangeFoundation

or any of the other organizations, of course.

See Change Foundation is based in Lamjung district where the epicenter was but they are west of the epicenter.

I met Erik in Hawaii before he ended up in Nepal.
    Thanks.