Thread: It Follows

It Follows

Wanted to see a movie, but there isn't shit out right now. So I decided to dip into the horror genre (not a fan) and saw It Follows. Wow. Really well done. Great music as well. Worth a look, especially given that there isn't anything out right now.

by the looks of the reviews Ex Machina may change the "there isn't anything out right now" vibe.

This (January through April) is always the time of the year when smaller, more interesting films manage to sneak into the cineplexes since it's pre-summer blockbuster time.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

But more to your point, I concur. It Follows is pretty solid and is deserving of all the praise it's been getting.

At its core it's an eerie, uncomfortable teen horror flick that borrows a wee bit from the Japanese malevolent spirit genre (The Grudge, The Eye, Uzumaki, Pulse, etc) as well as American fare such as Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween (the music is definitely influenced by John Carpenter as well as the pacing of the film).

To me the film falls into the same category as the films of Adam Wingard/Simon Barrett (You're Next, The Guest) as it's this strange kind of retro homage to other horror films wherein it isn't clear what time period the story takes place in: could be present day, could be early '90s, could be early '80s; this strange ambiguity adds to the overall vibe of the film.

Additionally, it's teeming with quite a bit of allegory for those that like their scares with a semi-intelligent undertone, too.

On another note, it's totally worth seeing in the theaters due to the sound design alone (see the aforementioned John Carpenter).
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Loved it!!!! I can't understand why so many people hated it? I thought it was creepy as Hell and totally unique for a change!!! The soundtrack was outstanding and mega creepy too. A highly refreshing Horror film if you ask me. I would rate this movie a high 9/10. All the hate it's getting is totally undeserved imo. But, everyone is entitled to their opinion I suppose.....