Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Question Are there any affordable hippie mountain towns left?

I live living in Jackson, but it will be short lived (which will surely be great news to some in the community) as I can only sink all my revenue into rent for so long. The thought of laying roots in a community where I will never be able to afford to buy is a real eye opener.. Shit my mom couldnt even afford to own a house in Jacskon, WTF am I thinking??

Jackson, WY is amazing, as a lot of people have also figured out. Including those with lots of monies. So what other mountain towns are there that offer up access to the mountains have decent skiing and mountain biking and a culture of hippies?

I felt the most love while I spent a season living in CB. The town was full of fun people, the skiing and biking was rad but cost of living was spendy in town. Sure you can live cheaper in Mt. Crested Butte or CB south.. But old cabins selling for a million bucks. Chuckle, Chuckle Chuckle.

As I was in the car yesterday and thought about making this post I realized if you had the goods I mentioned in your backyard odds are you realize how valuable it is and probably aren't going to spray about it publicly on a forum with thousands of like minded folks. So PM is cool too..

Without high tailing it to another country, I would love to see what other options stateside would work. I did 10 years in the Vail Valley, a season in CB a year in Maple Falls and now Jackson. These mountains here are the best I have found, but $15 hamburgers, come on now. Not everyone is a millionaire in Jackson..

Define affordable.

SFH 2b 1.5ba, 1,500 or less sq ft. <$200k

Jeez, ain't this a first world problem.

Oh, and those aren't hippies you speak of. They're trustafarians. There's a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_Smokin' View Post
    Define affordable.
    $37 or less

Nobody is making you pay $15 for a burger... which better come with a bottle of bourbon or at least a handie. Pack your lunch son.

If you love the Tetons, you could always move over to the west side of the pass. Not exactly affordable by Bromontana standards, but not too far off. You'll definitely only find hippy culture off of Lupine Lane around here though.
    Last edited by glademaster; 04-24-2015 at 03:29 PM.

Just move over the pass to Victor or Driggs. That's what people do around here, live in Alma/Fairplay/Leadville

Republic, WA. Lift skiing not so close, 1:45 away in either direction (Loup Loup, 49 Degrees N). Lots of nearby ski touring and XC skiing. Redneck hippie culture, including many living on ubercheap property off grid.

Check out McCall, Idaho. I've seen affordable lots in town there, but not on or even close to the lake.

You'd have the backcountry almost to yourself too in this awesome part of Idaho.

Not a whole lot going on in that part of the world, so jobs are pretty tough to find.

I'm thinking about tons of little mountain towns that could work, but low cost + jobs + decent ski resorts = hard to find.

Livingston Montana? Bozeman?

Two words,
    Terrace, BC

(ok 3)
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Head north to interior BC

question- would you say we also make a tad more here in general than other mtn towns?

Maybe not you specifically, but I know a lot of people that say they wanted to stay here but were not willing to give up the lifestyle --in the way that we are surrounded by wealth and we all have a least a friend or two that is above normal means and it's tough to separate yourselves from these folks that own a home + have nice cars + go on awesome vacations, out to dinner all the time etc.

It also might dovetail a touch with your earlier thread about drinking in this town too.....if you can say no to all the friends that want you to go out practically every night here you'll probably have a down payment in a yr

Check out Aspen, prices are dropping as we speak. Boogies just closed up.

An essential part of my retirement strategy is to hang out with friends who eat in most nights. And eventually moving out of Seattle. And learning to like cheap red wine. And. . . .
    Last edited by Big Steve; 04-24-2015 at 03:21 PM.

No true 'hippie' towns near developed ski areas left in BC. Just mountain towns filled with hipsters on sabbatical. But if that is what you mean, then yup, only affordable ski towns left are Kamloops/Sun Peaks, Smithers or Terrace. The Okanagan, Revy, and Nelson areas are overrun with boomers cashing out of the real estate craze going on in Vancouver.

You can find plenty of cheap beer but our restaurants are not generally cheap- and there's something cool going on practically every night and some people can't say no and it adds up.
    A lot of people after living here for a bit cant separate themselves from their friends that are trusties, or have more money. I am no millionaire-ess and my other half basically works only part time, and we have been able to buy a home here so I guess I just see it as some people making excuses when if they did want it enough it can be done with a few sacrifices. Budgeting- boring but effective

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    If you love the Tetons, you could always move over to the west side of the pass. Not exactly affordable by Bromontana standards, but not too far off. Definitely no hippy culture to speak of though.
    the hell there ain't, you should meet the dudes from that new Sego ski shop in town!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I'm thinking about tons of little mountain towns that could work, but low cost + jobs + decent ski resorts = hard to find.

Livingston Montana? Bozeman?
    Yep, Livingston and Bozeman have all that, as in. "not very low costs + not very high paying jobs + decent ski resorts"

Lots of Jksn Ex Pats here, as well as CO. plates.

I like Bozeman but it was never an affordable hippie mountain town.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

There is no such animal. Everything is a compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    You can find plenty of cheap beer but our restaurants are not generally cheap- and there's something cool going on practically every night and some people can't say no and it adds up.
    A lot of people after living here for a bit cant separate themselves from their friends that are trusties, or have more money. I am no millionaire-ess and my other half basically works only part time, and we have been able to buy a home here so I guess I just see it as some people making excuses when if they did want it enough it can be done with a few sacrifices. Budgeting- boring but effective
    This is not an accurate representation in the least. You are either being subsidized in affordable housing or living in a condo down by the Bird in the industrial section.

Which is great! I don't want this to be taken as a put down, but the description above of proper budgeting and 1.5 full time jobs does not get you a house in Jackson when they cost 500k plus for a stand alone, and 1 bedroom condos above an industrial unit are 200k plus.

As mentioned before though, Victor/Driggs is that town the OP is looking for. I can't think of anything besides the Canadian places also mentioned previously that would qualify.
    Live Free or Die

there a a few here and there around the PNW. Good luck making a living though!

Shasta City.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Kodiak Valley

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    the description above of proper budgeting and 1.5 full time jobs does not get you a house in Jackson when they cost 500k plus for a stand alone,.
    Why not? I only spend 15 hours a week managing my hedge fund.