Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    I made it work in Boise, Idaho for 4 years and regularly skied pow, had a 1 bedroom apt. for $450 in downtown, and rode my mountain bike everywhere.

Was it ideal? No.

But it was Affordable. And when those Mormon chicks fall, they go down hard

Lakecity Colorado. Creed Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    Why not? I only spend 15 hours a week managing my hedge fund.
    In the premise of this thread no, but I think that is everyone here's dream scenario.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Kodiak Valley
    Fucking K-Val?

I'll bring the Chernobly!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

The problem is making a living in a mountain ski town it tough. The ones that have jobs have them because they have tourists who also buy up all the houses and jack up prices. Silverton Colorado has a mountain and affordable housing. Good luck finding employement in the dead of winter though, not enough tourism.

If on the other hand you have a small trust find and don't need to rely on a job year round check it out.

Leavenworth WA. Livingston MT (already mentioned). What about some place up near Glacier MT? Kalispell?

Logan Ut

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Leavenworth WA
    11worth is nice, great mountain access, but it's not a hippie town. Good chance we'll be moving over there in the next 2-3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Shasta City.
    Truth
    good luck making a living

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    This is not an accurate representation in the least. You are either being subsidized in affordable housing or living in a condo down by the Bird in the industrial section.

Which is great! I don't want this to be taken as a put down, but the description above of proper budgeting and 1.5 full time jobs does not get you a house in Jackson when they cost 500k plus for a stand alone, and 1 bedroom condos above an industrial unit are 200k plus.

As mentioned before though, Victor/Driggs is that town the OP is looking for. I can't think of anything besides the Canadian places also mentioned previously that would qualify.
    Accuracy confirmed since we do it. we have a nice 2 bed/2 bath/ 2 car garage in rafter j (and FD: no family funds, no help buying the house, no secret lottery winnings) No offense taken on your doubt, (or living by the bird- my brother and his family live near there!) but I guess that's why I want to offer this alternative perspective. Maybe a townhome or smaller house is not enough for some, but who's to say it's not enough for media or any of the others that would love to stay here? We sacrifice with having older cars and such but I still see us having a pretty rich life compared to others that live in cheaper places and maybe have nicer cars. Guess it's all what you are looking for in life!

So yes we pay a $400k mortgage with 1.5 - 1.75 jobs. (and I say 1.75 with generosity as there is much off-season time off as well) Maybe we are just way more wicked smaht than everyone else but pretty sure any one else of decent work ethic etc could get the jobs we have. I'd also say that many of our friends have 1 professional working and 1 part time working spouse (for child care or ski bum reasons that make it work owning here. Sure a lot of them live in small houses/ townhomes/ affordable but those options are there.
    I do get SO jealous though when I talk with some of my co-workers that have big homes with acreage that they bought eons ago for half the price of my home but c'est la vie.

I guess I need to be more jaded/ curmudgeonly and say how hard it is and you DEFINITELY do not want to make your home here bc it's IMPOPSICLE. I'll work on it

A hippie with a $400,000 mortgage?

Morrisville, Vt

300 inches of snow in the mountains(more than a ton of places out west)
    less than a 30 minute drive to Stowe Mountain Resort. 2k vertical of really good terrain. with sidecountry from holy shit to mellow.
    Tons of meadow skipping style BC from janurary to april.

World class mountain biking
    world class beer.

you could easily buy 1500 sq/f for less than 200k here, when in stowe there is nothing for less than 200k.....

and all the rednecks and woodchucks you could ever hope for.

get useless in eustis?

I worked at Jackson Lake Lodge one season as a maintenance painter and became friends with lots of year-round full-time employees who got free housing. They didn't make much money, but they had no housing costs and the lodge feeds you too. They seemed to think they had it pretty good. I think some of them might even still be there. Most of the year-round jobs are in maintenance or marketing or administration.

What is that about 30-40 minutes to the ski area?

Anyway it's an option if you want free housing in the Jackson area.

Livingston is out. We hate hippies, but we do enjoy meth.

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Livingston is out. We hate hippies, but we do enjoy meth.
    You don't go to Katabatic do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    A hippie with a $400,000 mortgage?
    this is the world we live in now

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    You don't go to Katabatic do you?
    Uh, all from Bozeman . For the record I love that place and I don't know any hippies from Livingston that frequent it :P
    Whoops, forgot about all the bluegrass that gets played there (I try and stick with growler Monday, it's cheapish).
    Last edited by hick; 04-24-2015 at 07:24 PM.

PNW BC, Smithers And Terrace. The future is here!

I'm curious about what was wrong with Maple Falls?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    An essential part of my retirement strategy is to hang out with friends who eat in most nights. And eventually moving out of Seattle. And learning to like cheap red wine. And. . . .
    Yup. Found a 9 dollar red that rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    beer money to buy a home, interesting. those must be some pretty expensive dos Equis

stay thirsy my friend, guess it can buy a house.
    Funny.

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    You can find plenty of cheap beer but our restaurants are not generally cheap- and there's something cool going on practically every night and some people can't say no and it adds up.
    A lot of people after living here for a bit cant separate themselves from their friends that are trusties, or have more money. I am no millionaire-ess and my other half basically works only part time, and we have been able to buy a home here so I guess I just see it as some people making excuses when if they did want it enough it can be done with a few sacrifices. Budgeting- boring but effective
    Your husband/boyfriend bought a house in Jackson Hole and only works part time? I don't think you are in touch with most peoples reality. This is exactly what bugs the shit out of me in expensive resort towns.

doughboyshredder Guest
    If you actually wanted to live like a hippy instead of a poser you could find a 1/10 of an acre to buy somewhere and build an inexpensive yurt for <10K and be good.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Real hippies live out of their vw bus.
    And buy 50lb bags of rice as their main food source.