Which "compact" cameras out there deliver (very) high image quality nowadays?

So, i have been trying to complement my main camera (canon 5d2 with several nice lenses) with something smaller and lighter for a while.
    I have been trying several cameras already, but havent really found something i like. There is either a problem (for me, that is) with other models, or the image quality is so much lower that i kinda always carry the big 5d anyways...
    i want something as small and light as possible with the smalles compromise on image quality. i think the smallest i would go in sensor size is apsc, at least if i cant be convinced that there is something super awesome with a smaller sensor. i need/want AF, doesnt have to be that great since i will use that camera mainly when i ski alone or for non-skiing photos. a viewfinder would be great but i could go without one, same goes for back button af. otherwise i would like to have a more or less usable manual focus function... i could easily go without zoom on this one, would be nice to have a lens which is around 35mm equivalent, but i would go with 28mm or 40mm as well. i only shoot raw and will only use photoshop/lightroom for editing.

what i did try so far are the following cameras:

Fuji XE with 27mm and 35mm: nice, but the raw files are a pain to work with, not gonna go with that all the time...
    Sigma DP Merril: awesome images (actually as good or even better than the 5d) but very clunky, editing the raw files basically impossible and bad color fails now and then...
    Ricoh GR: also nice, but bad problems with dust on the sensor. i would have gone with that one, but it isnt much fun to have dust spots appearing after every ~200 images, especialle on a compact which you have to send in to get cleaned, which then takes more than 2 weeks...
    Sony NEX something: wasnt really happy with the photos, colors werent great and the camera seemed to randomly over- or underexpose when there was a lot of snow in the photos.
    Canon 100D with 28mm Pancake: also nice, but actually not that much lighter than the 5d with the 40mm pancake, i more or less always carried the 5d instead.

so, i have been thinking about other options. of course one would be to just use the 5d with the 40mm, but i would be happy to have something lighter for solo-skiing and for very long days (or just walking around town actually).

the Sony RX100 3 would be awesome if it had a bigger sensor. i cant really see the tiny sensor being super good, but then that one is so small that i would probably use it sometimes instead of something bigger, and sacrifice image quality...

the Sony RX1 or RX1R sound pretty good, is anyone using them? very expensive for a compact...

would the sony a 7 in any of its incarnations be a good idea? there doesnt seem to be a pancake, and with the 35mm 2.8 it is actually not that compact anymore, but maybe better images than with my canon?

or is there anything else? samsung?

freak~[&]

If you are willing to go with a smaller sensor, there are some quite small m4/3 cameras these days, especially from panasonic. My other suggestion would be to look at some of the newer smartphone cameras. Not the same IQ obviously but the best camera is the one you have with you.

Quote Originally Posted by freak View Post

Fuji XE with 27mm and 35mm: nice, but the raw files are a pain to work with, not gonna go with that all the time...

What? So, you're happy with jpegs processed by tiny computers inside cameras? Raw is too much of a bother? Don't bother, dude, and really, sell the Canon. You'll never produce good images if you have no desire to learn how.

Pretty sure he's refering to the fact that Fuji raw files don't play well with Adobe prigrams. But flame on if you want.

I own a Fuji X3. I am a professional retoucher and Photoshop expert. Just sayin'.

you're also failing elementary comprehension today, dickwaiver.

Explain, professor.

"I only shoot raw"

editing a quote that large on mobile would've taken me 15 minutes.

I could never cut it as a prof. - I don't even like to watch the same movie twice.

I'm interested to see some opinions on this topic as well; though I think you'd be better off browsing photography forums/amazon/flickr.

A6000 has treated me very well so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

the Sony RX100 3 would be awesome if it had a bigger sensor. i cant really see the tiny sensor being super good, but then that one is so small that i would probably use it sometimes instead of something bigger, and sacrifice image quality...
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...79#post4469479

I'm gonna grab the pancake for my 100D (SL1 over here) soon. Seems like a sweet combination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    If you are willing to go with a smaller sensor, there are some quite small m4/3 cameras these days, especially from panasonic. My other suggestion would be to look at some of the newer smartphone cameras. Not the same IQ obviously but the best camera is the one you have with you.
    i of course have a phone, but actually never use it to take photos. as i said, i do not really want to have a sensor size below apsc. i might try it though, especially the sony rx100 could be interesting. 4/3 of course also has a lot of tiny cameras&lenses... as i said above, with all the cameras i tried so far, i alwas ended up to take the 5d instead because i got better photos. the ricoh was the exception, but it unfortunately really has a dust issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    What? So, you're happy with jpegs processed by tiny computers inside cameras? Raw is too much of a bother? Don't bother, dude, and really, sell the Canon. You'll never produce good images if you have no desire to learn how.
    as i said i only use raw, i just never really managed to use the fuji raws in a way that made sense. im not really good at editing photos and actually dont enjoy it very much, and of course i know people manage to get very nice results from fuji, but i dont get it. i had to convert them to .dng (which actually took ages) and then it always looked like adobe doesnt really get much out of them. i tried silkypix, but again was just to stupid/unused to the program to make that work (sigma raws were even worse of course).
    maybe learning how to edit photos better would also be a solution, but i would like to just keep on doing the same editing as during the last couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    I'm interested to see some opinions on this topic as well; though I think you'd be better off browsing photography forums/amazon/flickr.
    maybe, but while i take lots of photos, i never actually cared about the tech-stuff, so im usually to overwhelmed with what people talk about in photo-forums. i only use very basic functions and very basic editing anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by Bronic View Post
    which lens(es) are you using? as i said i had an older nex once, as well as a sony slt something, but was never really happy with the images...

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...79#post4469479

I'm gonna grab the pancake for my 100D (SL1 over here) soon. Seems like a sweet combination.
    yeah, i know there are very nice images from rx100s maybe i should give that one a try. 100d with pancake is indeed sweet, but saves only about 400g compared to the 5d with pancake. nearly pocketable though...

freak~[&]

the Sony RX1 or RX1R sound pretty good, is anyone using them? very expensive for a compact...
    I ditched my larger/heavier setup for the RX1 when it came out, it has compromises (slow AF, non-interchangeable lens) but the image quality and portability more than outweighs those drawbacks. Awesome for biking, backpacking, etc. It's also built like a tank which is also desirable for outside stuff.

Some pics of mine here using the RX1: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kbk/

freak - Sony RX100 is very very good. Battery life excellent. Low light quality excellent. You won't be disappointed. ALso tough

Quote Originally Posted by Bronic View Post
    Tell us more. Which lens?
    The specs a re great,and so is the price
    picador

Quote Originally Posted by kbk View Post
    I ditched my larger/heavier setup for the RX1 when it came out, it has compromises (slow AF, non-interchangeable lens) but the image quality and portability more than outweighs those drawbacks. Awesome for biking, backpacking, etc. It's also built like a tank which is also desirable for outside stuff.

Some pics of mine here using the RX1: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kbk/
    looks pretty good. still considering the rx1 as well as an a7 (never seen the latter one in reality though).

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    freak - Sony RX100 is very very good. Battery life excellent. Low light quality excellent. You won't be disappointed. ALso tough
    yeah, i guess i would like the rx100. only downside is that it is super expensive (at least over here and at the moment). i could get a used rx1 or a 7 with 35mm for not THAT much more money... completely different size&weight of course, i know...

freak~[&]

Anybody use the fujuifilm x20 or x30 for these purposes?

Quote Originally Posted by jon gaper View Post
    Tell us more. Which lens?
    The specs a re great,and so is the price
    One obvious drawback to the sony is the lack of available lenses. I went back and forth for a while and ended up settling on the kit lens (16-50). Biggest reason for me was the size. "The best camera is the one you have with you" really ran true to me. My dslr setup was left of of my pack skiing and biking so often. The sony and the kit lens fits in my snow pants pocket so I take it with me all over the place.

I'll try and get some pictures op soon but I'm currently in between computers so not right now.

The autofocus on the a6000 is really pretty cool though.
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird