Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Deebased
    THIS MESSAGE IS HIDDEN BECAUSE DEEBASED IS ON YOUR IGNORE LIST.

your in great company , Icelanticskier
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post
    I watched the clip with the volume off and I thought the damn thing was hilarious. Watched it 3 more times and couldn't stop laughing.
    Cool karma, man.
    Life is not lift served.

Yikes. I thought his buddy was gonna take him out so they could share the ride. It had to be nerve wracking to see your friend come wheeling by and disappear, especially if you didn't know what was down below. As highly unlikely it was, how ironic would have it been if his buddy did arrest himself and as he's standing there gathering himself, skier #2's skis come flying down and take him out for the second part of the ride.

Did Benny get a heli ride too?

1st couple of years we had the Tram at Big Sky open those kind of antics occurred with regularity. That and rockfall.

The area hadn't been skied very heavily so there were loose rocks everywhere just waiting on a trigger. Freaking people would see the terrain, take off their skis and try to go somewhere and in the process they would send down maimers and killers and then usually they would join in the parade. It is sickening watching someone start a long slide, hit their head and then go to jello and just ragdoll down the slope.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    It is sickening watching someone start a long slide, hit their head and then go to jello and just ragdoll down the slope.
    Yeah... that is not a fun thing to watch

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    so this video made it to tgr. It has kept the german board well entertained.

the "joa leck mich am oarsch" would best be translated as a "hooleey crap" kind of thing.
    But it has a dual meaning. When muttered to oneself it means "holy crap" when said to other human beings it basically means a soft version of "fuck you". It's one step below the German "Fick Dich!" which is a literal version of "fuck you", which has entered the German Language via Hip Hop from the US.
    Actually Germans tend to use the expression of the real English "Fuck" as an exclamation of "oh...crap!" which tends to be used more often than the German version of "scheisse" (shit) which tends to be perceived as harsher in Germany. It goes without saying that I tell my students to avoid that while being in the states for a high school exchange because "fuck" as an exclamation has a whole different level of rudeness across the pond.
    aah I could go on for Hours......
    I learned that the middle finger, while just slightly ruder than "hello" among American drivers, is a very serious insult in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I learned that the middle finger, while just slightly ruder than "hello" among American drivers, is a very serious insult in Germany.
    Maybe my sarcasm-meter is wrong, but I thought it was fairly insulting in the US as well.

In case you were just making fun of my "the culture of insults" monologue: well played.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post
    I watched the clip with the volume off and I thought the damn thing was hilarious. Watched it 3 more times and couldn't stop laughing. What a bunch of fucktards....who the fuck called for the heli? Those guys should have been forced to walk out maybe they'd learn something about the mountains
    Born without a compassion gene...vibes. This explains why you vote R.
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    Born without a compassion gene...vibes. This explains why you vote R.

Compassion for what? The video wouldn't have been up if they were all fucked up. More then likely the gopro-ers wanted to show off how fast they could ride on their Arteryx gear.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    Cool karma, man.

No God but there is Karma.... Sweet fucking world view bro.... That neck beard must be stopping circulation to your brain

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Deebased
    THIS MESSAGE IS HIDDEN BECAUSE DEEBASED IS ON YOUR IGNORE LIST.

your in great company , Icelanticskier
    Be still my beating hard-on. I am icelanticskier

I watched a guy accidently break thru a cornice and get slid down a chute, his ski is chilling there 100m above where he stopped so I grab it for him. Its a powder day and I notice its like an 80mm GS ski. Jong alert!

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    They should have waited until 2 pm when it was soft.

Not both shown up to ski off at 11.00.
    So who won?

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Maybe my sarcasm-meter is wrong, but I thought it was fairly insulting in the US as well.

In case you were just making fun of my "the culture of insults" monologue: well played.
    It is fairly insulting in the US but Germans (and Swiss Germans) seem to get more upset than Americans when they are presented with it.

Also, the Swiss-Germans seem to use the F-word much more than is appropriate. It's not uncommon to hear the kindergartners dropping the F-bomb; even the teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    They should have waited until 2 pm when it was soft.

Not both shown up to ski off at 11.00.
    this vid is the best lesson to backcountry wannabees - ski when conditions are decent if you are a noob- a backcountry iced up bare peak ,is way different than your resort run.
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

There are some true gems of insight in this thread.

^^^ After removing one's skis, I think that 130 flex Langes would have been have provided better footing.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    ...an...iced up bare peak, is way different than your resort run.
    Ah, so you haven't been skiing in California this season, then?

so, you probably wouldn't have fallen, true, and it's nice to think that you would have self arrested right away, but have you ever actually tried to self-arrest on anything other than a slushy mellow practice slope? your whippet's not gonna cut it in conditions like that. hell, your axe probably won't either. there's plenty of bad decisions to judge these folks on. but realistically, there's about a half second window when you could actually self-arrest in conditions like that. how good is your reaction time?

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Ah, so you haven't been skiing in California this season, then?
    ah ,touche ..i was thinking how un-skied areas can be so gnarly .With no skier compaction, the snow we would be turning on is pretty random and unpredictable. This video is sickens me ,to think that those guys could be skiing above me some day. I just hope they learned a little bout, risk-reward-and time planning.
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

I was skiing a very firm inbounds chute. Stopped a ways down the runout. 2 women headed down. I started waving at the first, who thought I was saying hello and headed towards me with a big grin on her face. I was trying to tell her her friend was sliding fast on her butt and was about to take her out. She figured it out in time.

of all the high speed flippers, I think a broken thumb was worst i ever got...then 2 seasons ago I did a slow speed deuche ,testin carves out on bad ice day,and tore my calf real good 75% leg went black and blue,tore outer halmstring a bit and stretched mcl) ....Anyone else notice that the slow crashes seem to injure more than fast ones? You'd expect the dude in the vid ,would be in pieces at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Knut View Post
    He is saying throughout the video
    00:09 "So ein Dreck, so ein Mist." [muttering to himself] meaning something like: "what a crap, what a shit."
    00:20 "Sei vorsichtig" meaning "be careful"
    01:09 "Mensch, Andi!" , Andi is the second skier's name, and "Mensch!" (literally meaning human/man) as an exclamation could be maybe translated with something like "Dude!" or also "Gosh!" - a Brit would say "Blimey!"
    01:21 "Kruzifix!" is a traditional religious swearing in Bavaria, rather mild. It literally means cruxifix - the holy cross. I have no clue what an equivalent American swearing would be. The Qeubecois would say "Tabernac!" Maybe the english "for Christ's sake!" would be the same level.
    03:43 "Leck mich am Arsch!" literally means "Lick my ass!" - my dictionary claims that the American "Bite me!" is the proper equivalent. No clue whether that's correct

His comments give the whole clip a rather unintended funny note, I have to say.
    The answer is, "HOLY SHIT!!"
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel