Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    FWIW, I demoed these for a few runs at Whistler last April and thought they were terrible. I didn't ski them in pow, but compared to the other big mountain skis I used, these were crazy heavy, horrendous on groomers, slow turning through slush bumps, and not very stable at speed.

Maybe a much bigger person would like these (I'm 5'11" and 160lbs), but perhaps there's also a reason these didn't get a normal public release...
    So I have about 25 days on these skis so far this year in all conditions and I quoted this review because my review would be the complete opposite. The A Stars are a fantastic ski, they hold an amazing edge on groomers and in hard snow, are the best fat ski ive ever skied in bumps, and are very stable at speed. I am quite a bit larger, 6'2 and about 230. I ski really fast, like carving and big slashes. Dont take too the air much anymore since it gives the knees some issues.

I had been waiting for a wider ski to come out like this for a long time, some things I was looking for, flat tail, damp, larger radius, low rise "rocker" and most importantly a tip shape where the widest part of the ski lies at the start of the upturn for the tip, basically giving you an oversized tip, instead of rocker that keeps the fat part of the ski flapping in the air in front of you.

You can tell immediately these skis are designed for skiing fast down steep slopes, the forward mount position and relative stiffness compared to other skis this wide makes them a dream in anything steep. They rip turns down steep mogul runs like no other fat ski I have skied, in steep, truly steep, anything, these skis do it all.

The one downside I give them is that in deeper snow on flatter slopes, the tips can get a little divey. These are not the skis to get if you are looking to go out and noodle around in some pow. In the xmas storms we were getting here in telluride I actually went back and switched to my 195 kastle bmx 108s to get a ski that had some more tip out in front of me since we had gotten so much snow and it was not the super light blower telluride is accustomed too. To use snowbirds terrain as an example, these are not the skis i would want for a road to provo opening or a mineral rope drop where you are just surfing mellow pow, but for anything off the cirque or in baldy, these skis would crush like nobody's business.

I never thought I would have a 118 underfoot ski as my everyday ski here in telluride, but I do. These skis kill it, do yourself a favor and snag some.
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0793.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	180165Well built ski. Their maiden voyage was today April 7th for five hot laps before heading off to work. Mounted these 2.5 hash marks back from the most forward mounting hash mark which is mid ski. About an inch back. Skiing this at speeds that were respective of what they do I would move my mounting point back 2.5 to 3 more or about 5.5 to +6 forward of the rear most hash mark. I am finicky so will not re mount (I am a 26 shell or 307mm size). So have a pair with or without Look Pivots for sale. Total of five runs on the set and will post them on gear swap.
    Last edited by Crystal Skier; 04-08-2016 at 10:41 AM.

-SOLD-

Damn.. to clarify my earlier post I am at -1 from the most rearward line. I definitely would not go anymore forward. At seasons end still loving this ski. May have to snag a backup pair since they aren't getting made anymore it sounds like.

Not once this year did I bring these out and wish I had another ski but many times when I left them on the rack I wished I had them. Basically now they are my ski except for rock hard groomer days. So intuitive and also powerful. And in terrain like dihedral chute or tram shot at telluride... a fucking dream ride!
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

Name:  newspaper-cat-realization-i-should-get-some-of-these.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  27.8 KB