Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

do textured topsheets shed snow?

I'm curious if anyone has had good results with moment's textured topsheets for shedding snow and reducing weight for the uphill. any other ski manufacturers trying this? anyone tried creating their own with sand/paint or something?

do textured topsheets shed snow?

Quote Originally Posted by ormandy View Post
    I'm curious if anyone has had good results with moment's textured topsheets for shedding snow and reducing weight for the uphill. any other ski manufacturers trying this? anyone tried creating their own with sand/paint or something?
    With most manufacturers a textured top sheet is used on demo/rental skis for increased durability. Many different manufacturers use a similar topsheet. Can't speak to their snow-shedding capabilities...
    Last edited by Brianskis; 04-10-2015 at 06:30 PM.

Small sample size so far, but my RPCs gather snow on the topsheet just as much as anything else, but said snow comes off way more easily when the ski is banged on a tree or the topsheet is swiped with a glove.

My G3 textured skis hold a lot less snow than any of my other skis. It works. Only downside is you can't affix stickers to look all core.

I'm with Andy on my RPCs. Doesn't seem to make any difference. It collects the same. Haven't noticed whether it comes of easier...

They certainly seem to do so for me, probably like Andyski says. It has a harder time bonding to it. Experience is with DPS 2015 and Down skis.

If they are white IME.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

I just got some Candide 3.0's and the matte top sheet (vs. glossy) is interesting. As a result there's a slight bit of texture to them as well. I'm wondering if it'll make any difference...

Colour plays a factor as well. White top sheets hold less snow than black (or darker) in my experience

It seems so, only experience with Down Skis
    Four pair of skis, two of them with textured topsheets, and two of them not, and in the ski lift you could see that the ones with textured topsheet held less snow.
    Not a very large sample, but next to each other in the lift after skiing the same Places it seems significant

Had sum bc Fischer skis with uber texture and the snow seemed to stick like crazy. Always hated it.
    watch out for snakes

My carbon katanas seem to shed snow better than the bonafides.

And the katanas are black, but they have a slight texture.

I have a pair of Moment Jaguar Shark's with a textured top. They don't seem to shed any better. Then again they are the widest skis I have toured with

I've started waxing my topsheets (Praxis, so no texture), and seems to work pretty well.

One time I tried Caesar dressing on my top sheets, it did not work.

I've also tried rain-x, also did not work.

I've had textured dark, textured white, smooth dark, smooth white...

And all gather snow given the right conditions.

But generally white gathers snow less often. And smooth gathers less melt freeze.
    Life is not lift served.

I'm not sure about the science behind textured skis helping to effectively shed snow, but in my experience, the best ways to keep snow from sticking to your topsheets are:
    A. Only ski blower pow on cold days.
    B. Wax your topsheets with a flouropaste wax.
    C. Only ski on white skis.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by christoph benells View Post
    One time I tried Caesar dressing on my top sheets, it did not work.

I've also tried rain-x, also did not work.
    I've tried everything (including Sailkote, the last thing I saw suggested here), and it sorta seems to work for a run or so, but then either it wears off or I realize it isn't really doing anything.

Use skinnier skis for backcountry- between the ski, snow & skin weight it's the only thing that makes a difference imho.

Zardoz Notwax helps a lot, must be reapplied each day. Don't buy black skis, unless they're 75% off and you're willing to suffer for the savings.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Zardoz Notwax helps a lot, must be reapplied each day.
    Liquid crack (teflon). Worth carrying when winter turns to spring. And also late spring wet snow for the bases.
    Life is not lift served.

Moment skis here, various models and so widths, the texture does help, its not like no snow will ever stay on your skis but it makes a big difference, only some small patches some times, and if you give a firm tab with your poles it comes off..

My touring skis have a textured word/branding on them, and it's where all the snow starts building from. The smooth parts are last to see buildup. I hate it.

I just did a month on smooth, white topsheets. Less snow buildup than my other previous pairs of touring skis.

So the Helio116 has a matte (but not textured) topsheet with some glossy horizontal lines. Snow naturally sticks to the black tails and logo (clear over carbon) and the glossy white lines, but not the white or light green matte areas.

Touring ski makers take note. Matte white or matte light colors please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	topsheets.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	783.4 KB 
ID:	227676  

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    So the Helio116 has a matte (but not textured) topsheet with some glossy horizontal lines. Snow naturally sticks to the black tails and logo (clear over carbon) and the glossy white lines, but not the white or light green matte areas.

Touring ski makers take note. Matte white or matte light colors please.
    here's the inverse, reinforcing the same point

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9501.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	963.2 KB 
ID:	227824