Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Who Meditates?

Who Meditates?

Never tried it in my life. Lately I'm in some weird loop where every time I turn around somebody mentions meditation, whether it's talking to somebody, reading, watching a flick, hell they were talking about it during a hockey game a couple nights ago. So is it the bunch of bs that I've always figured or is there something to it? Sign me, Just Curious.

I have tried it and made some serious attempts, but got no benefit from it. It is really nothing more then a way of getting some deep relaxation. Good bud will likely do the same thing for some people.

I honestly do not think it is any better then a good nights sleep, which I rarely get, and doing some meditation exercises has helped me relax and sleep some what better.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

transcendental or it doesn't count

I think exercising/sports is a form of meditation.

Who medicates?

I've taken a vipassana meditation course. I found it a useful exercise in mental discipline and wish I could incorporate it more into my day to day life.

There are all kinds of different types of meditation out there, with different approaches and objectives. A lot of people might get some of the same thing out of prayer or time alone in nature, etc. etc.

I've done some now and then, but never been able to keep on it steadily. A half hour of meditation can achieve fairly high relaxation levels. But yeah, some bud or a good cocktail can do the same.

Consider why creatures with brains sleep. If you understand that process, which I think you do, then imagine taking that process to a level of conscious control.

I still remember the first time I lost track of time. It took a lot of trials to get there. It was honestly frustrating.

Set a timer for 20 minutes and go for it. It'll hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I still remember the first time I lost track of time.
    IME fly fishing or running are just as good, probably a lot better.

When will the yogis chime in?

Meadow-- agreed.

i don't do it, but try to live it.

focus on your breathing.
    the rising and falling of your diaphragm.
    the weight and balance of your body.
    the beat of your heart.

i've also found that exercise is a fine way of crushing one's mind and making one breathe.
    or taking 30min or so to stretch and breathe.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

There are measurable change that take place in the brain in response to some forms of meditation. But saying 'meditation' is like saying 'exercise'. There are dozens of different kinds of meditation, each with a specific purpose, method, and benefit/result. Most forms of meditation have to be practiced correctly for a period of time before any benefits are realized. How long that period of time is depends on the starting point of the individual and the quality and quantity of the practice.

I practice mindfulness meditation(vipassana) on a regular basis.

Mindfulness meditation training changes brain structure in eight weeks

Meditation group participants reported spending an average of 27 minutes each day practicing mindfulness exercises, and their responses to a mindfulness questionnaire indicated significant improvements compared with pre-participation responses. The analysis of MR images, which focused on areas where meditation-associated differences were seen in earlier studies, found increased grey-matter density in the hippocampus, known to be important for learning and memory, and in structures associated with self-awareness, compassion and introspection.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0121144007.htm
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

Mediators, unlike meditators, are clock watchers; they never lose track of time.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

This bunch is moar 4 medication than meditation.

Many years now.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I've taken a vipassana meditation course. I found it a useful exercise in mental discipline and wish I could incorporate it more into my day to day life.

There are all kinds of different types of meditation out there, with different approaches and objectives. A lot of people might get some of the same thing out of prayer or time alone in nature, etc. etc.
    Me too, me too, and I totally agree.
    Meditation (especially transcendental) and other mindfulness practices are all the rage these days in the SF/Silly Valley area.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

I used to head to the rink with a mind all tangled with dispatching work, then I used to head out to surf with a mind all tangled with schoolwork and in both cases I would find on the drive home that everything had sort of managed to organize and prioritize itself while I was surfing. I think that's what meditation is supposed to do for you; clear the deck and let your subconscious go to work. Unfortunately I'm unable to replicate that effect without sports... edit: or drugs.

I think on the street they call it spacing out.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    I think on the street they call it spacing out.
    Oh. Well, then. I'm an expert already.

It's nice to know that, at least temporarily, it's possible to turn your mind away from the random chatter and white noise so that you can just be. Practicing meditation is worth it just for that.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    I used to head to the rink with a mind all tangled with dispatching work, then I used to head out to surf with a mind all tangled with schoolwork and in both cases I would find on the drive home that everything had sort of managed to organize and prioritize itself while I was surfing. I think that's what meditation is supposed to do for you; clear the deck and let your subconscious go to work. Unfortunately I'm unable to replicate that effect without sports... edit: or drugs.
    Surfing has done me good over te years. Without a doubt, most days in the water cleanse the mind and settle the priorities.

The Maharishi. Just keep drinking you'll be fine.
    DNC: The party of gays, gungrabbers, wets, welfare queens, babykillers and ambulance chasers.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end.

I have a friend who has been doing TM for 30 years. He swears by it. Personally I think it's the only way he can handle being married to his bat-shit wife but hey, if it works...

I have my own technique for that, it's called "not listening".

Skinning up Millcreek at night is good for it. If you don't live near SLC or don't like skinning you can eat mushrooms and go for a hike. Find a perch and unplug. If you can't hike just eat the mushrooms and find a patch of grass. Wait, what was the question?

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    I think exercising/sports is a form of meditation.
    Totally. Something has to be pretty serious for me to continue thinking about it when I'm in the middle of a swimming workout.

I'm in the same boat as yetiman, a couple hours of skiing, mtb riding, or fishing puts me a in good place mentally. I've found that I do a lot better in school when I have even just 1 or 2 times a week to get out and do those things. My worst semester by far was when I was stuck on campus and couldn't find a way unwind.

I meditate for about 5 - 8 minutes almost daily. I look at the time spent as a logical, methodical approach to practice at being better.

I have been able to sharpen my attention to detail at work and home. I stay more self aware. I am more patient with my kids and wife and most others. I am more mindful of my surroundings. I make more logical decisions. I feel more connected to the world around me.

I usually practice before bed. I sleep like a rock, with don't-move-till-I-wake-up kinda sleep. Nice dreams too.

I usually eat better throughout the day when I am practicing regularly, not sure why. It just happens.

I incorporate a small stretching/yoga routine at the beginning of my session, then end with focused breathing and meditation/mindfulness practice. The movement at the beginning helps to get me into the right mindset. Takes about 5-12 minutes in all. Sometimes I come to a familiar place, sometimes I find something new. Sometimes I get mentally stuck, and learning to deal with that is a lesson in itself. It's different each time for me.

When I began, 20 minutes would have seemed like an eternity. It took me some time to work up to being comfortable going for 20 - 40 minutes.

So far weed gets in the way of my practice. It is the only thing for me that isn't elevated by smoking. I would prefer to be stoned for just about every other thing I do - not that I am, but it would be nice.