Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I can be stubborn sometimes. I started out renting a 7'2" Firewire Addvance from Rip Curl in SC. I was hoping it would be a short board but with a high enough volume that it would float me and make it easier to get into waves. Not the case. I finally gave in and rented a 9'2" NSP epoxy board and holy shit, what a world of a difference. After a day on that I started checking out the OC craigslist for longboards. I ended up with a 9'6" Infinity. Not quite as much float as that epoxy board and a good bit heavier but overall I'm pretty psyched on it, picked it up for $300. Finally started getting a good amount of waves and getting a feel for turning the board. My timing is still off a bit as a lot of what I'm getting is white wash by the time I was standing up but at this point I don't really care, I was having so much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ate'em View Post

Paddle till your arms are going to fall off.
    Yup, did that. Have a nice burning sensation in my shoulders that is lingering. I was in the water 5 days straight, for at least 3 or 4 hours each day, usually more. Pretty worked. Not sure when my next trip will be but really looking forward to it.

Thanks again for all the advice.

So any more waves Dfinn ? Was reading what you had to say and how I felt the same way 5 or 6 years ago, enjoy the addiction it only gets better. Look me up if ur getting to Jersey any time. When ur looking to up grade check out a Walden magic or mega magic depending on what size your looking for.
    always forward but never straight

Just seeing this now. Unfortunately I only pop in here after I take a surfing trip and remember how psyched I am on it. I wish it was closer.

Just got back from a few days surfing around Sayulita/Punta de Mita. I hadn't surfed since the last trip this spring but it seemed to be clicking a little better and things seemed a little easier. The waves were super friendly. A couple of times I found myself turning the board and working my way down the line which felt good. I've got another trip to socal booked in November, really looking forward to it.

I've actually been doing a little bit of shopping and reading up on boards. I'd still like to move down to a smaller board. It seems like it would be more fun and also would open up the possibility of traveling with the board. Renting has been fine and pretty cheap so far but it might also be nice to have my own board with me at times. I've been looking at the Walden mini mega magic, the 7s fish xl and the firewire addvance. All in the 7'6" range. Is it cool to fly with a board that size on most airlines?