Page 78 of 89 FirstFirst ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 2203
    Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    whats your BSL? I have a #2 180cm UL veneer mounted with Vipecs for 325 bsl. Can we jam your boot in there?
    Baby feet - 296 BSL. Would have been fun to try. That's the biggest challenge - paralysis by analysis combined with no on snow opportunities.

Are you thinking of putting them on gear swap?

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Slightly intoxicated now after 2 hours in the airport lounge, and getting all excited about the Praxis sale/veneer deal (and heading to the Alps for some sprig skiing).
    Some advice please: NZ variable snow (never deep, but often smooth and fast, windsift, crud, everything. Narrowish couloirs to wide open bowls and faces. Wanting to go fast; faster than my technique and quads/glutes say. RX? Have MVPs and would like something chargier.

Hmmm, just read that making a ski 1cm narrower also makes it 1cm shorter. Makes sense I guess.

Thom, look at the BC for a soft snow back country ski.
    Life is not lift served.

Any chance the points from a referral order made tonight will show up by the end of the month?

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    Hmmm, just read that making a ski 1cm narrower also makes it 1cm shorter. Makes sense I guess.

Thom, look at the BC for a soft snow back country ski.
    Kind of like the inverse of stretching taffy ;-)

Thanks! My only "concern" about a BC is how much I've come to love the RES tip on my BG's. It keeps whispering "Steeple" in my ears - albeit at a bit of a weight penalty.. I might be able to put this to bed (or not) at a demo in 10 days.

I'm also thinking about the Colorado snowpack - go wide so I can more easily meadowskip and float - less temptation to get into avalanche trouble on a Continental, Winter snowpack.

Maybe I install inserts in my GPOs and play with them this Spring/early Winter. There's no law that says I have to buy skis this Spring ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by Joebornstein View Post
    Anyone else thinking about a -1cm Q? Or, anyone think it's a bad idea?

I'd like something in the 106-108 range and am intrigued by the design of the ski. Looking for a soft, but not deep day ski, and a good travel sk.
    Get it at it's current width. It doesn't need to be narrower to fill this quiver spot.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Get it at it's current width. It doesn't need to be narrower to fill this quiver spot.
    N+1. Get both

Just joined the club and bought a pair of GPOs on Gear Swap and looking for advice: What's the ideal tune on these (PNW, nearly all in-bounds use, no touring)? I read somewhere (here?) that they should be detuned a bit at the tip... any advice welcomed.

2016 PRAXIS info, mounting and resource guide

Wow. 3 pairs in my cart. I Want a touring 187 GPO, mess around/park/bumps 187 MVP and a 182 volcano ready yeti.

I also really want to try some 3D powder boards and a standard RX.

But would I ever reach for those over my Billy goats on a deep inbounds day? What would become of my Q?

Edit for deeper thoughts.

A spoony protest perhaps?
    A spooned Ullr?

More skis, more first world problems.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by FJ62 View Post
    Just joined the club and bought a pair of GPOs on Gear Swap and looking for advice: What's the ideal tune on these (PNW, nearly all in-bounds use, no touring)? I read somewhere (here?) that they should be detuned a bit at the tip... any advice welcomed.
    I think I'm in the majority with approximate detune points, but others will likely chime in. I'm a trad-ish skier, mounted -1cm from recommended.

I progressively detuned and wound up going to the tip and tail taper point (not rocker point). The stock 1/1 bevel works for me but I confess to not having experimented with this.

This is in a Colorado snowpack.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

They come with a 1/1 tune from the factory which I've been happy with but you'll want to detune the tips and the tails. I detune them around 1/2-1" past the contact points. I just get really aggressive with a gummy when detuning but some guys will use a file to really round the edges.

Yes, I was surprised that I ended up rounding the edges.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    A touring flex Rx. I was running out of ideas in the Praxis lineup for the perceived hole in my quiver - especially since I'm sized out of Quixotes (188 is too long - I think). This could be an alternative to the Steeple 116's that are on my short list. I'm not sure I like the idea of no tail rocker however. I find it very difficult to isolate design components. Example: how much of the flat tail is responsible for the Freeride not working for me. Too many apples and oranges to compare.

Damn! Two days to decide (freebie veneer).

... Thom
    I have the Rx in med. flex with carbon. It weighs around 8 lb and is my favorite touring ski, even though I've wanted a 184 since it came out and would prefer a stiffer flex. The tail is round and splayed, it just doesn't begin to splay as early as some skis with more pronounced tail rocker. Freeride's tail is squarer and minimal splay and similar rocker to Rx. Obviously, I can't say what it was with the Freerides that didn't click for you (though I'd be surprised if it were just the tail), but I wouldn't dismiss the Rx because of short tail rocker. I'd actually praise it for that.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    It keeps whispering "Steeple" in my ears - albeit at a bit of a weight penalty.. I might be able to put this to bed (or not) at a demo in 10 days.
    I have the 108 Steeple in 184. Love the ski, but yeah, comes with a pound penalty (and I sometimes wish it were closer to BG's stiffness).
    Last edited by dschane; 03-29-2017 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Hold on a sec, am I understanding this right that the veneers are being offered no extra charge?

I thought the error in the system is that the extra $200 isn't being added on, and it should be..
    Website is now clear on that. Order by 4/1 and the veneer tops come gratis.

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    I have the Rx in med. flex with carbon. It weighs around 8 lb and is my favorite touring ski, even though I've wanted a 184 since it came out and would prefer a stiffer flex. The tail is round and splayed, it just doesn't begin to splay as early as some skis with more pronounced tail rocker. Freeride's tail is squarer and minimal splay and similar rocker to Rx. Obviously, I can't say what it was with the Freerides that didn't click for you (though I'd be surprised if it were just the tail), but I wouldn't dismiss the Rx because of short tail rocker. I'd actually praise it for that.

I have the 108 Steeple in 184. Love the ski, but yeah, comes with a pound penalty (and I sometimes wish it were closer to BG's stiffness).
    Thanks for the tips. Actually, an ever so slightly softer Billy Goat (including the Steeple's slightly rounder flex) sounds ideal. Trying to translate between companies, I can see the wisdom in a #3 to 3.5 flex Rx for this application - perhaps a bit stiffer.

I wish I could separate the factors that didn't work for me with the Freeride. Perhaps it was the Maple/Ash. I wouldn't pretend to have a broad enough range of experience to say why. This bugs me, only because I'd like to be able to predict this stuff.

I don't tend to make good deadline-induced purchasing decisions. I think it may be time to make good on my threat to order a pile of Binding Freedom inserts for some second mounts. It will take extraordinary self-restraint to pass this free veneer deal up, and possibly require a support group, although I've obviously come to the wrong place for that sort of thing. What a party poop ;-)

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-30-2017 at 12:22 AM.
    Galibier Design

I had mine cleaned up at the shop and they went with 1/2 and I found them to be a bit more twitchy, especially if you get bases flat on a cat track. They will be back to a 1/1 soon.

I detuned the tips and tails a bit, didn't feel much. A bit more, felt better. and then a whole lot all the way to the contact point and am happy. My wife took off the wrapper and wouldn't change a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Except when the current quiver is 4 deep at this width! 5, if you count the protest.

Curious what happens if I click "better than Tabke" do the skis get some different layup or something?

Quote Originally Posted by benfjord View Post
    Curious what happens if I click "better than Tabke" do the skis get some different layup or something?
    You make Keith laugh.

2016 PRAXIS info, mounting and resource guide

Talked to Keith today. Said Quixote horse graphic should be available on that ski (only) today hopefully.

Going maple/ash adds about 1 lb to wider skis like Quixote. However his favorite layup for resort skis 100-115 underfoot is maple/ash/carbon/Veneer, with the carbon and veneer the net weight is pretty reasonable. Going to go for it on my pair.
    Last edited by Muggydude; 03-30-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Talked to Keith today. Said Quixote horse graphic should be available on that ski (only) today hopefully.
    Love to hear this! Thanks for relaying

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post

Going maple/ash adds about 1 lb to wider skis like Quixote. However his favorite layup for resort skis 100-115 underfoot is maple/ash/carbon/Veneer, with the carbon and veneer the net weight is pretty reasonable. Going to go for it on my pair.
    Interesting, I thought I heard here that the carbon layup can make the ski really overreactive for inbounds junk, and it was better for a touring ski. But maybe that was just for the Ultralight core.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Interesting, I thought I heard here that the carbon layup can make the ski really overreactive for inbounds junk, and it was better for a touring ski. But maybe that was just for the Ultralight core.
    I think the veneers added dampness counteracts the carbon so essential a damp ski with the "heavy core"(maple ash) without adding a pound. Probably only adding a half lb. that's how I understand it, maybe I'm missing sumpin.

^ that's the impression I got. Keith said he thought the carbon just saved a little weight and made the ski have a little faster rebound. And weight comparison was 1 lb for enduro w/ nylon topsheet vs heavy w/nylon topsheet.

He also mentioned he changed the carbon option a couple years ago to have less carbon, in his opinion doesn't really have any adverse side effects

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Quixote MA C V 4+ ??? It's more of a game show, guarantee Adrenalated knows exactly what he wants
    No, I'm seriously asking!

I hadn't really considered the Q as I'm not sure when I'd grab it over the Wren or BG. I feel like those two skis cover my inbounds skiing pretty damn well (other than the noodling around with the GF part). What does the Q offer other than OOH SHINY!!!!

My first inclination is UL Protests to mount up with tech binders. Then sell my Protests with Guardians. But I'm not sure how much I'd actually ski them vs a Steeple 116.
    I also find myself tempted by a 183 MVP as a more easy-going alternative to my other inbounds skis. Without carbon these would be stupid cheap thanks to referral points.