Page 12 of 89 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Strongly consider the CCR GPO. I spent at least 70 days on it last northern season, all soft snow touring. This coming northern season I'll spend the same amount of time, or more, on the Wootest.

I have no answer to your question yet.
    Life is not lift served.

Anyone have a coupon code for a snowboarder making the transition towards symmetry? Looking at the GPO 175 with carbon/MAP core for a one ski quiver, 75% touring/25% resort.

Pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by gritter View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts - for clarity - I don't actively dislike the Freeride flex - just think that when conditions get softer I have to be very careful not to lose the tips. Also I am already mounted a couple of cm back

Neck beard - I agree that the Freeride is the right tool for the job on paper, and I really like the flex and the ability to load up the tail properly compared to the tail rockered skis that I've tried (Wailer / Atris). I think that my biggest issue is a goldilocks problem - 174 feels like it is too short, but 184 sounds like a lot of ski for someone my size (I'm 5'7" 150lbs).

What I don't want is that heavily rockered ski tendency to slarve all the time but it sounds like the BC will probably be somewhere in the middle - particularly if I get it in a touch stiffer flex.
    I believe the 182 GPO is what you are looking for. Owned both the Concept and GPO. Like the Concept, love the GPO. Have the 182, and 187 in med/stiff. I had schizos on my first pair so I could play with the mount. I found the further I went behind the dimple the more vague the tips became. I have mine mounted just in front of the dimple and love them there. You can charge the hell out of them and turn on a time.

That's good because the 182 gpo is what I went for! I was very close to getting the concepts but they felt like a bit of a gamble without a demo.

FedEx was good to me today... Just got my 190 BC med/stiff std layup with Hex top sheet... As always build was rockstar... Love the gradual rise rocker and med/stiff will be absolute money for an everyday inbounds easy going ski... The only thing that surprised me a little was the ski has very little shape to it... I saw other pics posted of the ski and it def has less shape than what I expected... Not saying this is good or bad, just do not have a ski with a shape like this... Either way this ski should accomplish what I was looking for when ordering this ski and talking with Keith...

Now just hoping he comes out with a 120 something underfoot...
    Last edited by Undertow; 07-24-2015 at 05:24 AM.

Pics don't work for me

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    The only thing that surprised me a little was the ski has very little shape to it... I saw other pics posted of the ski and it def has less shape than what I expected...
    The BC has as exactly as much shape as the dims indicate, which is actually quite a lot. You'll agree when you ski it. It is energetic, carvey and shapy. I'm skiing an alternate 106mm ski right now with has much less shape than the BC has in camber and sidecut, taper etc, and it is noticeably less energetic, less nimble and less "shapy feeling" in funky snow. It takes more energy to carve on hard snow. The tails don't release as easily as the BC due to less tail shape (taper, rise, and twin tip).

On snow, the BC has plenty of shape, which is what makes it a classic all-rounder.
    Life is not lift served.

I'm jealous you guys got your orders....I'm like a kid on Christmas waiting for Santa

Does Keith's software generate a tracking number when he ships. Is a signature required? I see my order marked as "awaiting shipment" (my credit card was billed for 2nd half payment about 4 weeks ago).

I hate to bother Keith about this, and I'd prefer arranging to have someone home to receive delivery.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Does Keith's software generate a tracking number when he ships. Is a signature required? I see my order marked as "awaiting shipment" (my credit card was billed for 2nd half payment about 4 weeks ago).

I hate to bother Keith about this, and I'd prefer arranging to have someone home to receive delivery.

Cheers,
    Thom
    I didn't buy skis this year, but in the past, he did send a tracking number and a signature was required.

"Awaiting shipment" is likely the only option his ecommerce software gives in between "Processing" and "Shipped." I doubt his software was designed with custom ski makers in mind...

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I didn't buy skis this year, but in the past, he did send a tracking number and a signature was required.

"Awaiting shipment" is likely the only option his ecommerce software gives in between "Processing" and "Shipped." I doubt his software was designed with custom ski makers in mind...

Signature required

Can't believe I'm expanding the quiver in the middle of the summer

These are changing to:
    ​I am not in your hurry

With fedex you can have them hold the package at your local store and just pick it up from there yourself. It's not too hard, just follow the links on the tracking page when you get the shipping info

Thanks everyone. It's a matter of having a tracking number e-mailed to me, in order to be able to redirect the shipment to a FedEx Office, or alternatively to be home to receive delivery.

At least signature is required so it won't be sitting on the porch. I'lll continue to check my customer account on the Praxis website. Perhaps it gets updated when shipped (currently says "awaiting shipment").

Is it Winter yet?

[edit - 2015-07-23] Keith just e-mailed me to verify my shipping address before shipping. His system generates tracking e-mails. Have I already asked: is it Winter yet?

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 07-24-2015 at 10:50 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Pics don't work for me
    I have no idea why the pics are note working... I have tried 3 times and posted pics the same way I have in the past and it is not working... Ideas...? And as someone has stated before the top sheets looked so much better in person... The Hex top sheet is absolutely badass...!

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    The BC has as exactly as much shape as the dims indicate, which is actually quite a lot. You'll agree when you ski it. It is energetic, carvey and shapy. I'm skiing an alternate 106mm ski right now with has much less shape than the BC has in camber and sidecut, taper etc, and it is noticeably less energetic, less nimble and less "shapy feeling" in funky snow. It takes more energy to carve on hard snow. The tails don't release as easily as the BC due to less tail shape (taper, rise, and twin tip).

On snow, the BC has plenty of shape, which is what makes it a classic all-rounder.
    NB, I completely agree with you and the dims is why I picked the ski... Just looking at the ski visually though it appears the ski has very little shape... I am completely stoked for this ski and between this and my custom 192 GPO's I believe I have the absolute best two ski travel quiver... I absolutely love my 193 MVPs, but as you stated above the BC will be a perfect all-arounder... 90% of my skis are big, stiff and a fall line charger... I needed to find a ski that could handle technical and tight cover and feel the BC will be perfect for this...

Where should I mount my 184 Freerides? Med-stiff, fiberglass layup. Will use inserts to allow touring and resort bashing. Was thinking +1? What does the collective say?
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

I went on the line on my Freerides and wish I had gone -1. I typically like a more aft mount. But I'm happy enough on the line.

^^^ Have you skied the GPOs? If so, what did you think of that mount point? I thought it was money and love the mount location of the Renegades (-7) as well, so thought bringing the Freerides to -8, rather than -9, might be a decent decision, but I'm definitely open to feedback/thoughts prior to drilling holes.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Yeah, I have 187 GPOs that I mounted at -2, which is definitely the right place for me on that ski. So since you like the GPO at 0, either 0 or +1 makes sense to me on the Freeride for you.

Picked up some 187 carbon Protests for a screaming deal. Trying to decide what binders to mount.

I was thinking of throwing on SollyFits (have a pair laying around) for both front- and back-country slayage, but curious whether folks tour with them, and enjoy them for that application. Another option would be to just throw on STH16s and keep them for resort. Or go nuts and buy some Beast 16s. Here's the rest of the (alpine) quiver:

190 Praxis BCs: touring - Plums
    190 Moment Bibby: resort (soft) - STH16 steels
    180 Blizzard Brahma: resort (hard or teaching my kiddos) - Marker something
    183 Bro stiffs: rock skis
    sproing!

+1 on the 184 freeride. Med-Stiff no carbon. I've always been forward biased but this feels centered to me. Nose does deflect at upper warp speeds and I would think being + is helping mitigate that some.

Anyone with RXs have any feedback on mount point? I got a pair of 2015 189s on closeout. They'll be a directional ski for me. I'm thinking back a bit.

"RX" is too short a word to be forum-searchable, so it's kind of hard to find anything. The other complicating factor is that Keith has moved his recommended mount points around a bit over the years, so finding people talking about +1 or -1 or on the line is all relative to where the line was in that year, and a lot of what I could find about the RX was several years old.

Here was something I got from Keith last year (regarding 180 BC), which incidentally maybe someone will find helpful:

I used to do a range for the mounting zone and I think I had the BC listed as 97-101 [from tip] in that range. I'm not sure but I do not think we ever put the dimple as far back as 100 but I could be wrong. Lately I've been looking at the mount point more in terms of how far back from the skis center it is. I like the -8 zone for most skis, much further back and it does not fit well for me but some people like that. The current recommendation is about -8 back from center. If that seems to forward you'd be fine to go back some but all in all I think that's the sweet spot at least for me.

Thinking about it you might be correct on the 100 back in 2011. That year I decided to go back some on all the mount recommendations because a lot of feedback was saying we were too far forward. After skiing some of the models back more I decided that was a mistake and went back to what I thought was best (more forward). All in all I still feel there is a 4 cm range to match personal preference and skiing style and our recommendations are typically on the front side of that range now.

So based on my 180 BC, Keith's "4 cm range" of 97-101 from the tip is -7 to -11 from ski center, or +1 to -3 from the dimple at -8. So yep, current recommendation is towards the front of Keith's optimal range.

The recommended mount point/side-dimple on the 189 RX is, like the 180 BC, -8 from ski center. On my BC I went -2 from the 2015 line (so -10 from center), and I dig 'em, and will probably just do the same on the RX, unless anyone weighs in with other experiences.

I had two pairs of first generation RXs, before they had tail rocker (just tip rocker). Still have one pair. I think they're mounted at -10cm from true center, which was right in the middle of his recommended range at the time. Felt absolutely perfect for me there. Now that they have tail rocker, I don't think I'd go any further back, but 0 to -2cm from the dimple seems reasonable to me.

Keith personally prefers a relatively forward mount point and he definitely marks his skis that way. Nothing wrong with that, but something to be aware of when adjusting for your own personal biases.

FWIW, I ski pretty forward, and prefer a more aft mount. Praxis skis I've owned and where I like them mounted relative to the current mounting recommendations:
    184 Freeride: on line, would prefer -1
    187 GPO: -2, like it
    187 Protest: -1, like it
    189 RX (old model): -2 compared to current mount, like it. Probably would go -1 on the current model due to tail rocker though.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Picked up some 187 carbon Protests for a screaming deal. Trying to decide what binders to mount.

I was thinking of throwing on SollyFits (have a pair laying around) for both front- and back-country slayage, but curious whether folks tour with them, and enjoy them for that application. Another option would be to just throw on STH16s and keep them for resort. Or go nuts and buy some Beast 16s. Here's the rest of the (alpine) quiver:

190 Praxis BCs: touring - Plums
    190 Moment Bibby: resort (soft) - STH16 steels
    180 Blizzard Brahma: resort (hard or teaching my kiddos) - Marker something
    183 Bro stiffs: rock skis
    I skied my 187 carbon Protests with STH14s for 3 years, then put SollyFits on them for the best of both worlds. They have done big mountain service at the NZ clubfields and toured in Japan, and I couldn't have been happier.

As others will chime in, Protests aren't great on long, steep traverses or while side hilling - for obvious torque reasons. It is, however, an outstanding powder touring ski, so I can totally recommend SollyFits.
    Last edited by Island Bay; 07-26-2015 at 10:25 PM.