Page 2 of 89 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    reposting from Praxis website

This winter we have been testing some new ideas and one in particular that we are excited to debut on the 2016 Powderboards... they're going 3D!. It starts with a 3D base that is moulded with a bevel all the way around the ski, then the finish tune incorporates a base edge bevel that continues inward on the skis base around the entire perimeter of the ski, creating a convex base shape. This "base high" feel reduces the already minimal snow friction of the Powderboards for an incredibly smooth and easy ride in the pow. The 3D base is fun and slarvy but still has a reliable edge.

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    I ski the 182 inbounds.

It would be great if he could make the 182 GPO in the narrower 111 mm width and you'd have a solid soft snow ski under 8 lbs.

I skied the 175 GPO this year on a hut trip and it was MONEY.
    The previous year I had taken 177 carbon hybrid protests (128 mm) to the same yurt.

I wasn't missing anything on this year's trip with the 175 length (I did mount 1.3 cm back from dimple and put in a 6 mm toe shim), and now I can confidently rail deep snow with this "short, narrow" ski
    This is great info, thanks! Also, I imagine my face looks the same over the PowderBoard description... I can only describe it as, I WANT!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

TGR is quiet recently. Guess everyone must be out on their bikes... not a bad idea actually. I'll probably head out somewhere this weekend. Curious, has anyone pulled the trigger on the 3D Powderboards?

Currently trying to see if I can get a couple more referrals before I order my 192 Protests. Helps me justify it considering the number of skis I have... Hit me up if anyone needs a code.

On that note- I got a few votes for med/stiff in the 2015 thread, but anyone else have any experience on Med+ vs Med/Stiff for the (Carbon) protest? Right now I'm getting Med/stiff. Slightly bored at the moment and interested in more opinions haha.
    Last edited by Muggydude; 04-11-2015 at 09:44 PM.

You've heard my opinion already--get it. Still plenty playful at med/stiff.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    TGR is quiet recently. Guess everyone must be out on there bikes...
    Nope, skiing. Day 100 some time this week. Six solid weeks to go before it is over.
    Life is not lift served.

Do I need an SND?
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Do I need an SND?
    it rips... my 98mm became a rock skis and I jump to my cochise or bg when there is too much for the snd!

it's a well worthy solid skinny ripper ski!

The new topsheets are killer. I'd love some 180 BCs with the Ibex topsheet, but the CAN $$$ is poo and I just can't afford it.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Ya can $ sucks. Had a few friends keen but shit exchange gave them 2nd thoughts so I still need another referral to pull the trigger. Anyone needs a code , hit me up. Had the ptests out on closing day. Chargin chop. Needs some longer ones for sound barrier sampling. Toughest decision these last few days were protests or gpo's for the day. Times is tough

What does the referal code save people?
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

15% off. So really it saves you 5% because there are several standard coupon codes that get you 10% (TGR, praxis, facebook).

Wootests still around for custom order only. All you Protest lovers out here, you should check out the Wootests.

Anyone have thoughts on the BC vs Freeride as a touring/groomer ski? Already tour and resort on Renegades for the deep days, but looking for a spring/hasn't snowed in a while touring ski that will be decent at the resort. GF has the BCs and absolutely loves them. Freeride kind of reminds me of the LP105s I destroyed but with a smaller radius (boo)

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on the BC vs Freeride as a touring/groomer ski? Already tour and resort on Renegades for the deep days, but looking for a spring/hasn't snowed in a while touring ski that will be decent at the resort. GF has the BCs and absolutely loves them. Freeride kind of reminds me of the LP105s I destroyed but with a smaller radius (boo)
    I've owned both. I really prefer the Freerides. The BC is more of a soft snow shape, floats better, more turny, generally easier to ski. The Freeride is more traditional, better edgehold (longer effective edge), longer radius. Rewards a more forward stance. For me, especially for firmer snow, the Freeride is a much better ski.

I love BC's, but they're nothing special on groomers.

How does the Freeride handle soft snow? Is the float decent? The specs would indicate it is the obvious choice for firm/groomers/crud/variable/etc over the BC, but how about in terms of soft snow/powder performance? A noticeable drop-off in performance vs the BC? Or...

I would say they have pretty good float for a 107mm underfoot ski. The tip rocker profile is really good. The BC definitely floats better, but not THAT much better.

I really think the Freeride handles almost all snow conditions very well. The only type of snow that I don't think they're great in is 3D variable/hooky snow. Wind affected new snow, for instance. They tend to hook and get caught up... basically just like you'd expect for a ski that has significant traditional sidecut and camber would. They ski great in more consistent 3D snow. 8 years ago, before the plethora of great soft snow designs that are available now, this would have been considered a very good pow ski. You have Renegades, so I think you know what I mean.

I've skied 3ft days on the Freerides and never really wished for more float. Like most maggots, I have a quiver of skis now, but if I had to sell all but one pair of my touring skis, the Freeride is the one I'd keep. I could happily ski it every month of the year. It wouldn't be the BEST ski for any one condition, but it's very good at everything.

Great to hear. Sort of what I thought from the specs. It's too bad the radius isn't 5m or 6m longer - this would be an absolute crusher of a ski.

I don't think that it generally feels like the radius is too tight - but I definitely wouldn't mind it being a few meters longer either. Damn hard to find long radius skis these days.

If you like a ski with a longer turn radius the Backcountry is definitely not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Great to hear. Sort of what I thought from the specs. It's too bad the radius isn't 5m or 6m longer - this would be an absolute crusher of a ski.
    Yeah, if the turn radius was 30+ in a 184, I would have bought a pair already. As it stands, the ZeroG 108 will probably be my next touring ski.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I suggest we petition Keith to see if it could happen... I'd be happy with 28m+... Anyone?
    Last edited by shafty85; 04-13-2015 at 03:19 PM.

I'm happy enough with the current Freerides that I wouldn't buy another pair... though I think that'd be a good ski, for sure.

I will say this - the Freeride skis straighter than 24m might indicate. Really. It doesn't feel that much more turny than my Wren 112s (27.3m) or my older RXs (32m) or the 179 Bros I had back in the day (32m). First time I ever thought there was too much sidecut was actually yesterday, skiing a narrow, 50* couloir in absolutely terrible, punchy snow on a very uneven and firm bed surface.

I petitioned for while to get a narrower version, mid 90s underfoot with the same rocker profile and keep the same (or longer) turn radius. Instead he made the 9D and 9D8 with way more sidecut than I want. I bought G3 Zenoxide C93s instead. Haven't skied them yet, will see how they do.

2016 PRAXIS info, mounting and resource guide

Amongst others, kudos to Adrenelated for talking about skis. Helpful stuff.

I've just skied some 35 days on nothing but my pair of 180 UL BC's. This brings me to about 60 days on the ski. They are a reliable and versatile touring. Unsuitable for a) hard pack and ice [groomers] and b) wind funk. Horrible on hard icy groomers.

Last year I had the 106 Down 6 as my hopeful versatile ski. Which it wasn't. The Praxis BC absolutely shits on that ski for all round versatile. Like night to day.

The BC is a classic, but it is a soft snow ski. Powder bias in a narrow ski. Anything is good on corn, but the BC is not my first choice for spring tours, though perfectly useful nonetheless. /Waiting for a trad cambered "ski mountaineering"/spring ski from Praxis.

ps, 35 days on the cambered BC with a more rearward mount after 65 days on the center mounted CCR GPO has been telling. I prefer driving the BC, but prefer the CCR freedom. What to do...
    Last edited by neck beard; 04-13-2015 at 09:28 PM.
    Life is not lift served.

Neck, you don't feel the freeride is that ski?

I think it would be a great ski. But I think too wide for a pure spring and ski mountaineer ski.
    Life is not lift served.