ATV on snow packed forest road

I want a snowmobile but the wife wants an ATV/Quad but I can only afford one. I figured an ATV would be fine for what I would want to use it for IF it can ride up snow packed forest service roads in the winter.

Is that a realistic expectation assuming I stay on the road and don't go immediately after or during a snow storm?

I'd like to use the ATV for riding up Jones Pass, the road up to Fulford and maybe around some of the Crested Butte roads to get to trail heads and shorten some longer ski ascent approaches. Those are just a few ideas. What do you think?

Will work when frozen, will not work when unfrozen, depending on depth.

Yeah.... really bad idea.

Add tracks, go whenever you want!

yup

watch out for snakes

ATV on snow packed forest road

Tracks will help on packed and semi packed roads but don't get too carried away in deep or unconsolidated snow or else you'll be digging like these guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1428190570259.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	165917  

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Tracks will help on packed and semi packed roads but don't get too carried away in deep or unconsolidated snow or else you'll be digging like these guys.
    Don't forget those tracks are as expensive as purchasing a used approach sled.

The up side is you have a vehicle that can be used 100% of the year. Buddy also has a Polaris Ranger(sbs) with their track system. Its a rugged machine and hauls 6 people and their gear to the goods. The rest of the year it duz farm chores on the wheels.

Sleds can get stick too ya'no.
    watch out for snakes

Many forest service roads prohibit motorized wheeled vehicle access in the winter. I think it is to keep jeepers from messing up the snow for hikers, skiers and sledders

I picked up my father in laws old sled. Should work nicely for longer approach tours.