Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The TREWth about Product Development/The Birth of our Base Layers

Hi all, my name is Tripp Frey and I'm President and co-founder of TREW. I think this forum (and forums in general) is being under-utilized for product development and we want to change that. One of our core values at TREW is creativity and one topic that's been on our minds is how to make our product development process more transparent and inclusive. It seems to us that most companies in our industry design behind the veil of secrecy and go to great lengths to protect their process. We've made the decision to lift the curtain on our product development process to make it both transparent and inclusive. Going forward, it is our goal to share with you our process, gather feedback, admit failures, and incorporate great ideas from our core community. Collectively, we can make better products.

To begin, we are in the process of developing an incredible new base layer line using an innovative and superior merino technology called NuYarn. This technology is game changing in terms of its durability, warmth-to-weight ratio, and comfort. Simply put, it knocks traditional merino to the curb. We'll have tees, 1/4 zips, pants, a "shred" mid-weight with incorporated hood, and a sweater weight top as well. You can learn more about it here on our blogs:
    https://www.trewgear.com/blog/?p=1749
    http://www.trewgear.com/blog/?p=1804
    http://www.trewgear.com/blog/?p=1834

We want to hear from you as we build this product line:

• What do you like about your current base layer products?
    • What features do you like? What don't you like?
    • What features, fit, or style would you like to see in a high-performing base layer product?

Of course, feel free to share any feedback on existing styles or older products we've produced. We are sincerely open to all feedback.

Lastly, should we develop a great dialogue here there may be an opportunity to work with some of you in a product testing role.

I look forward to hearing what y'all have to say!

Be TREW,
    Tripp

like the graphic sensibility of the clothes and that you're just up the river from me, but i can't buy your stuff...tall sizes would be good throughout the line

With a name like Tripp, did you go to Duke? Or are you related to the Palin Family somehow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    With a name like Tripp, did you go to Duke? Or are you related to the Palin Family somehow?
    HAHA! funny you would ask about Duke...I went to UNC-Chapel Hill. But grew up in Michigan and cut me teeth on the slopes of Cannonsburg.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    like the graphic sensibility of the clothes and that you're just up the river from me, but i can't buy your stuff...tall sizes would be good throughout the line
    thanks for the feedback. what brands tend to fit you? and out of curiosity, how tall are you?

In general, I wish base layer shirts were longer so they would stay tucked beneath the waist of your pants and not ride up in back.

Quote Originally Posted by snuffleupagus View Post
    HAHA! funny you would ask about Duke...I went to UNC-Chapel Hill. But grew up in Michigan and cut me teeth on the slopes of Cannonsburg.
    Heheh. My apologies then for the Duke comment. The only other Tripp I know (besides the Palin kid) went to Duke. He looks very Dukie.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    In general, I wish base layer shirts were longer so they would stay tucked beneath the waist of your pants and not ride up in back.
    My main complaint about the Icebreaker stuff I have. I'm guessing it's shrunk a bit, but I don't have the same problem with the Ibex top I have. I actually like the Eurofab Icebreaker fit, but I wish they were longer in both the body and the arms.
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    great point. in the past i've had some Patagonia tops that are too short and this was an issue. the latest round of samples were fitting well in terms of length, but i'll circle back on this. in your opinion, how far below the waist of your pants should the shirt go? 4 inches?

You should copy the Patagonia R1 hoody. That thing is perfect (including the extra length, as mentioned by TahoeJ). I wouldn't mind a similar merino product.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    You should copy the Patagonia R1 hoody. That thing is perfect (including the extra length, as mentioned by TahoeJ). I wouldn't mind a similar merino product.
    yes, the R1 Hoody was a product that was on our radar when we developed this line. our "shred midweight" will be similar to this, but will not have a front 1/4 zip. you can see a proto of this on the third blog link. NuYarn is wildly stretchy so if you don't want to wear the hoody/mask component it easily slides down and comfortably lives around your neck.

^^^ That sounds very promising. The R1 Hoody and Pullover are pretty damn rad.

Meh.

Merino is old technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

great point. in the past i've had some Patagonia tops that are too short and this was an issue. the latest round of samples were fitting well in terms of length, but i'll circle back on this. in your opinion, how far below the waist of your pants should the shirt go? 4 inches?
    Yeah, I have a couple of Patagucci base shirts and they tend to ride up in back. Not sure how much longer they should be, but definitely a few more inches.

Might consider a chest pocket on the sweater. Personally i appreciate that pocket in any top layer [jacket, vest, sweater] that I tend to wear around town....wallet and phone yo...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

thanks for the feedback. what brands tend to fit you? and out of curiosity, how tall are you?
    stuff i own is generally a lot baggier than i'd prefer (north face, cloudveil, marmot)

pants are generally the hardest to find
    jackets are more forgiving

6-5, 210
    42 chest, 36 sleeve
    34 inseam

one's i've tried:
    arcteryx has tall (and still slim) [but can't afford]
    flylow (but tends towards baggy)

haven't really found the right thing yet

3/4 length merino bottoms please. They seem to be hard come by, at least around here...

Oh, and my wife says make some short sizes too, she's about 5'1" and has a really hard time finding anything ski related that fits. most companies womens smalls are quite tall. I helped her get a pair of bibs this season, we had a look at the Arc'teryx Theta pants in small and they almost fit me and i'm 5'11". She went with the small Trew Chariots which were the closet for leg length but she still usually rolls them a bit. I don't think this is uncommon either as I know quite a few ladies around her size who have the same problem.
    "It's like we're watching a movie... and then suddenly we're acting in it."

Quote Originally Posted by balefulstare View Post
    3/4 length merino bottoms please.
    This. I don't even consider leg base layers unless they are 3/4. Ski boots require long socks. I do not want to bunch base layers around my knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    This. I don't even consider leg base layers unless they are 3/4. Ski boots require long socks. I do not want to bunch base layers around my knees.
    Copied for the TREWth (couldn't resist)....

x4 on the 3/4s.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Meh.

Merino is old technology.

this is great! apparently DFF and Lederhosen's are the wave of the future! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV4RHUMLDLQ

^^ Well played.

And yea, ski bottoms should be 3/4 length. I hope you already knew that!

hearing you loud and clear on the 3/4 length. right now our plan is to make them 7/8 length, so that they are are mid-calf. This eliminates the bunched fabric above the boot, yet also gives the bottoms some versatility to be worn for different activities. The bottoms would be long enough with a taller sock for other activities such as hunting, tailgating, ice fishing or wherever else you'll need long johns! how does that resonate with you guys? we still have time to change the length prior to production....

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Might consider a chest pocket on the sweater. Personally i appreciate that pocket in any top layer [jacket, vest, sweater] that I tend to wear around town....wallet and phone yo...
    good thought here. we've actually incorporated hand pockets into our sweater. these are not zippered, so not secure, but certainly capable of holding phone or wallet around town. how important is it for this pocket to be zippered or have secured storage?

good thought here. we've actually incorporated hand pockets into our sweater. these are not zippered, so not secure, but certainly capable of holding phone or wallet around town. how important is it for this pocket to be zippered or have secured storage?
    just my opinion, but i would hesitate putting the phone in an unsecured handwarmer pocket, and also like the security for the wallet. One of my favorite multi-use pieces right now is the Patagucci Kramer vest, which has zippered handwarmers and an open chest pocket, like on your Pocket T.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post