Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Would adding a second field be possible where the mag has to enter his/her handle name? How do other companies handle TGR discounts?
    I appreciate your concerns about this code being abused. Unfortunately, we don't currently have the ability to add an additional field to confirm mag authenticity. We'll give everyone the benefit of the doubt that it's not being abused and if we see activity that indicates abuse, we'll change it and find a new solution. Thank you all for helping keep this discount to mags only.

Tripp

The TREWth about Product Development/The Birth of our Base Layers

Tripp, you better give mags first shot at those patches you posted on IG yesterday. Those are awesome.

Edit: I see how this is going to go.

official dibs on the hood patch, qty 3.
    Last edited by optics; 10-29-2015 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    Tripp, you better give mags first shot at those patches you posted on IG yesterday. Those are awesome.
    Ooh yes. Want!

Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by snuffleupagus View Post
    Just wanted to bump this up so everyone saw that I committed to running a permanent TGR discount as a way of saying thanks to everyone on this forum for their participation and interest in this thread. Enter TGR15 at checkout and receive 15% off your order. Holler with any questions on product, sizing, etc.

Be TREW,
    Tripp
    Strong work

let's talk thumb loops on base layers! do you like them? do you find them annoying? would love to get some detailed opinions on this feature..... we just had a base layer design review and this was a topic of conversation. If you use them, do you keep them looped over your thumb all the time or just for putting on?

Patagonia had a baselayer (cap 4) with just a small band of elastic positioned just right so that you could easily loop over your thumb (would snug the sleeves up past your palm). I loved that implementation of thumb loops. Easy to cut out if you didn't like it. Absolutely no bulk if you didn't use it. Surprisingly functional if you did. Win win. Thought it was pretty damn clever. I had a local tailor add some to my other 'heavier' baselayers.

FYI - I never looked in this thread till now, and only because you posted the discount and I was curious what was going on in here. Cool beans!
    Last edited by Lindahl; 11-07-2015 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Yep, that's what it sounds like. I am all about getting as much air moving through as possible and unless it's single digits or below, I'm pretty much skinning with all my vents all the way open. I do wear kneepads most of the time, so that's probably part of it.
    And that... is why I like softshells for touring. But I agree. Longer vents - past the knee. Haven't had the same issue as auvgeek. Maybe its in the implementation?

While we're talking about vents, I'm a HUGE fan of crossflow ventilation. This means inner thigh vents AND side vents. Find it makes a pretty big difference. No mesh on the side vents. Mesh on the thigh vents - can use while skiing. Oakley does this and I love the pants for it.

I also dig their snaps on the underside of the belt loops. Mates really really well with a powder skirt for instant onesie. You can add the female mating snaps to any jacket's powder skirt. Cost me $30 at my local tailor to add to my Flylow jacket. Mates with the Oakley pants now.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    But it's not as bad for guys as it is for girls. The girls I know are continually annoyed by the lack of room in the quads and butt in women's ski pants. It's stupid that a girl who is, say, 5'4 and 130# has to size up to a L (in many brands) and deal with huge waist and length just to get a reasonable fit in the butt and quads.
    Totally agree. One of my friends regularly rips open her pants because of this.

I use softshells year round for touring. HUGE fan of them. Its been a long time since I've worn a hardshell and not been on a lift.

Also... suspenders. HUGE fan of those too, even on non-bibs. Oversize the waist and no mobility problems. I regularly pop buttons or get annoyed by waistbands when skiing crud, moguls, or landing cliffs. The entire body is a massive suspension system when skiing. Waistbands get in the way of that.

... and thats all I've got for now

This is a cool thread. I'm in the "I don't like or don't use thumb loops category."

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Patagonia had a baselayer (cap 4) with just a small band of elastic positioned just right so that you could easily loop over your thumb (would snug the sleeves up past your palm). I loved that implementation of thumb loops. Easy to cut out if you didn't like it. Absolutely no bulk if you didn't use it. Surprisingly functional if you did. Win win. Thought it was pretty damn clever. I had a local tailor add some to my other 'heavier' baselayers.

FYI - I never looked in this thread till now, and only because you posted the discount and I was curious what was going on in here. Cool beans!
    I agree. I use them but anything that makes them less noticeable for those who don't is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    And that... is why I like softshells for touring. But I agree. Longer vents - past the knee. Haven't had the same issue as auvgeek. Maybe its in the implementation?

While we're talking about vents, I'm a HUGE fan of crossflow ventilation. This means inner thigh vents AND side vents. Find it makes a pretty big difference. No mesh on the side vents. Mesh on the thigh vents - can use while skiing. Oakley does this and I love the pants for it.

I also dig their snaps on the underside of the belt loops. Mates really really well with a powder skirt for instant onesie. You can add the female mating snaps to any jacket's powder skirt. Cost me $30 at my local tailor to add to my Flylow jacket. Mates with the Oakley pants now.
    This 100%. Especially the snap to mate jackets and pants.

I finally had a chance to test my NuYarn hooded base layer last night. Neat piece. I'm anxious to use it to see how it performs compared to my usual merino base layer kit. The thumb loops are a nice touch. I dig it.

I also ordered a pair of chill bottoms. They seemed like a neat concept; easy style, wool and something I can wear under the shell pants on cold days and any other time I want a comfortable pair of pants.
    I'll be sending them back. I don't have fat, elephant legs, nor do I sport cankles. For my athletic legs, the foot holes were way too tight and there's very little stretch in the fabric. To further complicate things, the fabric is so tight that I can't hike up the bottoms to fit them in ski boots and I can't fold them back over, either. It's a no go.

My suggestion would be to make the very same pant, only with the bottom quarter or 10% of the leg out of a very stretchy, non wool material. I have a pair of heavyweight Under Armor pants that do a great job of this, even if they aren't wool.

The rest of the gear is the usual, bomber TREW affair. I love it.

thanks for the input on thumb loops. i agree- if they are minimal and done right, we should have them. a nice little feature for those that use them and can easily be cut off for those that don't like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    I finally had a chance to test my NuYarn hooded base layer last night. Neat piece. I'm anxious to use it to see how it performs compared to my usual merino base layer kit. The thumb loops are a nice touch. I dig it.

I also ordered a pair of chill bottoms. They seemed like a neat concept; easy style, wool and something I can wear under the shell pants on cold days and any other time I want a comfortable pair of pants.
    I'll be sending them back. I don't have fat, elephant legs, nor do I sport cankles. For my athletic legs, the foot holes were way too tight and there's very little stretch in the fabric. To further complicate things, the fabric is so tight that I can't hike up the bottoms to fit them in ski boots and I can't fold them back over, either. It's a no go.

My suggestion would be to make the very same pant, only with the bottom quarter or 10% of the leg out of a very stretchy, non wool material. I have a pair of heavyweight Under Armor pants that do a great job of this, even if they aren't wool.

The rest of the gear is the usual, bomber TREW affair. I love it.
    stoked to hear your digging the NuYarn pieces Bobcat Sig! keep this forum posted on what you like and don't like. Noted on the tighter fit on the Chill Pant. Good feedback. I sized up on this pant to get a looser fit throughout, but we are removing the polyester cuff in the future.

On a product development note, y'all should check out our blog about two spring/summer pieces we are debuting. We'll be launching a "wind" jacket (think super light weight and highly packable) as well as a super light three layer do-everything shell (think you're super all purpose shell for biking, around town, back packing, and even backcountry touring). Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on these categories......

Quote Originally Posted by snuffleupagus View Post
    On a product development note, y'all should check out our blog about two spring/summer pieces we are debuting. We'll be launching a "wind" jacket (think super light weight and highly packable) as well as a super light three layer do-everything shell (think you're super all purpose shell for biking, around town, back packing, and even backcountry touring). Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on these categories......
    Wind jackets only work well if you can breath through the fabric some (darth vader test). Otherwise they're not much better than a rain jacket you have to bring along anyway (most of the time). The best I've found is the discontinued Nike Impossibly Light Jacket. KILLS the nearest competition in breathability and versatility. Polyester and low-mix spandex blends (not nylon) do the best in reaching the right breathability and resistance mix. Think impossibly thin softshell.

Aim for 3-4oz using 10-15 denier. Don't cut the shoulders/delts too small. Super annoying runner's cuts on most of them.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 11-15-2015 at 07:33 PM.

Yes a keep checking your site hoping that light softshell pullover you used to make will reappear. I've tried a lot of light wind shells(Patagonia Houdini, integral design pertex, or thing etc etc) keep going back to my Patagonia ready mix. I'll take the extra 200grams because it breaths so much better. Surprised not many companies don't make a hooded soft shell in the weight of the ready mix. Mine is 8 yrs old . Keeps going but something has to give soon. Pair that ready mix with a primaloft rip stop hooded coat for the down is best light/warmth ratio. Make one in same wieght softshell with hood , 2 chest pockets, long zip pull over and pouch pocket relaxed fit , light cuff and waist cinches and I'm all over it

Tripp does the TGR discount not work with the Gray Friday sale you just announced? I can't find where to enter the code on the website. Thanks

Good deals w the grey Friday. Been wanting a BC shirt. Great price on the soft shell too. Couldn't resist. Thanks Tripp

Quote Originally Posted by VTChrome View Post
    Tripp does the TGR discount not work with the Gray Friday sale you just announced? I can't find where to enter the code on the website. Thanks
    discount codes cannot be used while the site-wide Grey Friday sale is going on. sorry!

Then maybe I should just STFU and be happy with Gray Friday deal which is pretty sweet by itself. Thanks.

Anyone try the Roam bibs yet? They look pretty nice, curious about peoples take on the fabric, primarily breathability etc.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Shirt arrived. It's awesome. Wool is high quality and has a tad of stretch material in there. Pocket looks to be glued/taped (?) on and is made of some very, umm, sexy material akin to latex. A lot of nipples are gonna get rubbed because of that pocket haha. Pocket has no zipper or velcro closure, so mostly for show, but still useful. Overall, the cut is perfect for active use and definitely has way more style than the icebreaker, pataguch, and ORs of this world. 6', 185# wearing size large. Nice work!!
    Update on the nuyarn t-shirt. I tried to stink it out. I wore it running, a full day of BC skiing, mountain biking, running again, running in a warm humid rain, then a couple days hanging around the city, and then another day mountain biking. 7-9 days wear, and it still didn't stink. I can really stink it up with the best of em, and won't ever get Capilene again as a result, so the nuyarn has far surpassed my expectations on the stink factor. Somehow it even seems more stink-proof than the icebreaker t-shirt it is displacing. Performance is otherwise excellent.

I definitely would get long underwear bottoms of similar weight for myself, but prefer 3/4 (below the knee) or 1/2 (above the knee) lengths rather than full length. Just ordered up a pair of the bottoms for my wife though. Stoked!

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Anyone try the Roam bibs yet? They look pretty nice, curious about peoples take on the fabric, primarily breathability etc.
    Bump on this as well. I am really interested in the Roams and how they compare to some of the other much beloved touring pants guys are in.