Vail Resorts buy Perisher resort in Australia

Interesting. Considering im an Aussie, think this is a good thing. What do you think?

http://www.mountainwatch.com/snow-ne...ns---Explainer

Now they will offer an Epic Pacific Local Pass with 5 days in Tahoe and 5 Days in Utah and American blackout dates in Japan and Australia. Maybe they will get the lease on the Hawaiian Volcanos for patch skiing, followed by some of the mega resorts coming to North Korea and China!
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaper guy View Post
    Interesting. Considering im an Aussie, think this is a good thing. What do you think?

http://www.mountainwatch.com/snow-ne...ns---Explainer

They are just trying to get everyone on the same pass. Vail has been buying up many a molehill lately and it all makes sense. Where is midwest Joe from Mt. Brighton going to take his family on that weeklong springbreak trip? Clearly a Vail resort where the pass already scans.

Smart business moves me think. Only going to consolidate the industry, and make Vail more crowded. And I'm cool with that.

Yeah if only they could make an EPIC pass for the airfares too. Cause atm they're epicly expensive. The money you save on lift tickets you burn 10x over getting there.

Still, it makes the idea to plan a trip more appealing.

At least in Canada people would work the resorts in auz and BC for a year round ski job i don't know where that policy would be at with the current temp foreign work scandal in Canada or if that would work in the USA?

I was recently told austrailian skiing was all about the drinking by a guy who did 7 seasons, buddy doesn't remember his last day there
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

I was recently told austrailian skiing was all about the drinking by a guy who did 7 seasons, buddy doesn't remember his last day there
    Funny Aussie T shirt observed in the book, Blue Latitudes: The Liver is Evil, and Must be Punished.

When, oh when is Vail buying something in Vermont?

Aussie seasons are about getting the most out of shit snow and conditions.

well this guy is Canadian was a high up management type I had known from back in the day and buddy tells me apparently thats ^^ what the beer is for. Back in the mid 80's an auzy Named Des Shuman who owned ski hills down under came north to buy Big White at a fire sale price of assets only/no liabilities, later he bought Silver Star and proceded to develop the fuck out of both hills
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-01-2015 at 10:24 AM.

Haha some days beer is the only option!
    Man, good for him. Snapping them up like Vail is now...

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    well this guy is Canadian was a high up management type I had known from back in the day and buddy tells me apparently thats ^^ what the beer is for. Back in the mid 80's an auzy Named Des Shuman who owned ski hills down under came north to buy Big White at a fire sale price of assets only/no liabilities, later he bought Silver Star and proceded to develop the fuck out of both hills
    and then his kids started arguing & Big White & SS parted ways a couple years ago.

Where is Itsnowjoke on this one? A gondy would be a viable transportation alternative.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Buddy did mention the old man died didn't say anything about kids fighting over the spoils, I haven't been back there in awhile ...too far

Seems like this good have potiental to cut into the whistler crowd. Savvy move by VR-- locking up all the continents.
    "4ply is so quiche"
    -Flowing Alpy

After the season you guys just had, maybe Japan will be next for Vail.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    When, oh when is Vail buying something in Vermont?
    The money you save on lift tickets you burn 10x over being there.

Still, it makes the idea to plan a trip more appealing.

Vail just bamboozels the gapers into thinking they are saving money, instead of looking at the entire experience/cost ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Vail just bamboozels the gapers into thinking they are saving money, instead of looking at the entire experience/cost ratio.

Wow, you have to explain that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Wow, you have to explain that one.
    Didn't make sense to me either...

Lift tickets are a small portion of the total cost of a destination ski trip, especially international. VR sells the Epic Pass as a loss leader to lock you into their crowded, flat and overpriced store.
    Then they fleece you for every penny on parking, food/bev, lodging, transportation, ski rental.

The Epic pass isn't a good deal unless you ski a ton at your home resort. Most don't and 1% never even pick up their pass,

So the fact you get all those resorts for $750 is irrelevant because parking and food isn't cheap. Riiiight...

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Lift tickets are a small portion of the total cost of a destination ski trip, especially international. VR sells the Epic Pass as a loss leader to lock you into their crowded, flat and overpriced store.
    Then they fleece you for every penny on parking, food/bev, lodging, transportation, ski rental.

The Epic pass isn't a good deal unless you ski a ton at your home resort. Most don't and 1% never even pick up their pass,
    Explain to us how they make a profit on parking?

Epic Pass as a loss leader? You are talking out of your ass. All you have to do is look at the publicly available SEC filings to see that the Epic Pass is not a 'loss leader'.

I mean, it's cool and all that my season pass here now gives me free lift tickets to resorts in US. But if I'm paying all that money to get there, would I really want to spend my time in a resort?
    Not really hey, Ill take heli skiing in AK thanks.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Masterstroke from Vail.

Australians make up the biggest international percentage visiting Vail.

Perisher will take a greater share of the Australian domestic market and then those customers will become Vail customers if they ski the US.

I mean, it's cool and all that my season pass here now gives me free lift tickets to resorts in US. But if I'm paying all that money to get there, would I really want to spend my time in a resort?
    Not really hey, Ill take heli skiing in AK thanks.
    That's a ridiculous thing to say. Heli skiing for a day is as expensive as getting there. I think you need to do your budgeting again

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    Masterstroke from Vail.

Australians make up the biggest international percentage visiting Vail.

Perisher will take a greater share of the Australian domestic market and then those customers will become Vail customers if they ski the US.
    Really? Go figure hey, makes good business sense when you put it like that.

What i was saying with the AK thing, not literally, but if im spending that much time/money to get over there i wouldn't waste it skiing in bounds. Dont take that 'waste' out of context, you know what i mean.